G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

License plates

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
License plates

I live in IL, and the dealer told me you have to put the plate on the front by law.

I said fine but he said you have to punch two little holes into the front of the car to do that.

I then said ummm never mind.

Did anyone else punch those holes in the front for the plate? Anyone with pics on how it looks?

Anyone say forget it and just drive without it?

What should I do?

Old 07-07-2005, 11:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lightforce18

What should I do?

A search for starters.

Old 07-07-2005, 11:12 AM
there are brackets you can buy that allow you to attach a front license plate without drilling holes.

Since i live in MI where front licenses are not mandated (thank god) i don't have any personal experience with them

Here's one... kinda pricey though... look around and do a search and you may find more

http://performancenissanparts.com/ca...oducts_id=1434

Old 07-07-2005, 11:14 AM
I specifically told them that I didnt want a front plate (required in NJ) and they drilled it in anyway.

I called back, and they took my bumper off, put it on another G on the lot, and gave me a brand new bumper off another car in the lot without a front plate! What great guys! Props to Ray Catena Infiniti.

Keep it off. Trust me. For looks, and to save your *** if a cop ever decides to go easy on you.

Old 07-07-2005, 11:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got my front LP mount (for an '05) from Stillen. It fits the OEM bumper great, installed easily and avoids those little holes. Thakfully my G didn't have the holes drilled yet, since it was ordered. Hopefully the Stillen front LP mount will fit my Nismo bumper just as well.

Old 07-07-2005, 11:36 AM
What would a cop say if you kept the front plate in the car or in the dash in the front?

Old 07-07-2005, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by lightforce18
What would a cop say if you kept the front plate in the car or in the dash in the front?
a cop would probably give you a ticket for improper placement, provided it's required in your state... I've had mine off since I got the car last november and I just got a ticket last friday oh well, i'm just gonna put it back on, take a picture and plead not guilty... see what happens...

funny thing is I got the ticket while my car was parked and not even while i was driving... so for the most part cops will ignore it unless they're real dicks or you do something else... this is in NYC at least... other places your mileage may vary...

Old 07-07-2005, 11:44 AM
Your better off NOT keeping it in the dash.

First of all, that immediately shows the cop its in the wrong place, so even if hes not looking for it (which they mostly arent) so that stands ou unless you were to play ignorant, and make up some story like "oh the dealer said i could keep it here until we got the bracket in" but I wouldnt want it there anyway, thats kinda dangerous.

Second of all, not all states require a front plate, so if its just on in the back then they would need to see you from the front to first notice there is no plate, and then the back to see you are from that state.

Old 07-07-2005, 11:54 AM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
ahh so glad i moved to FL. so i dont have to deal w/this issue...

i am back home right now in jersey.... i passed by a few G's, that plate IMO really takes away from the front of the car.

Old 07-07-2005, 12:15 PM
yea if I get pulled over, I will say I did not know I was supposed to have it in the front on this car. Sorry I ll go home and add it.

Lets hope it doesnt come to that.

Old 07-07-2005, 12:48 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Just buy one of the bolt type license plate frame holders.

Leave that and your plate in your trunk. If you get pulled over, just say you forgot to put it back on, and put it back on right in front of the cop.

Old 07-07-2005, 01:25 PM
My suggestion would be to either use the Stillen type mount or go with the "binder clip" method. Using the bracket that hopefully came with your car you can use a binder clip to hold the bracket in the slot (it fits very snug and does not move) and then attach the plate to the bracket (you will need shorter bolts than the ones that come with the bracket). I believe the bolts are size 6m and you'll want them about 1/4 inch long. I'm in Florida so I don't need a front plate, but I often attach my University of Florida Gator plate especially if I'm going to a game. I used some felt tabs I got at Home Depot to keep the bracket from rubbing the bumper. Looks great on, and is very easy to remove leaving no evidence it was ever there.

Old 07-07-2005, 01:29 PM
Hey lightforce, I'd suggest you check out my boy John's (clokwork) solution found here:

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-coupe-v35-2003-07/58285-new-2-weeks-front-license-plate-no-screwing-front-bumper.html

Should be what you're looking for I think!!

Old 07-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Go plateless. Looks a lot better anyway.

But dont put it in the dash. IMO, thats the stupidest thing you can do. You are going to get pulled over right away after a cop sees that, since it reminds him that first of all not just being in the wrong spot, but he sees what state you are from. Your better off just leaving it off completely.

Ive been pulled over twice for it. Once I gonig like 38 or so in a 25, and I guess the cop was in a good mood, so he gave me a ticket for no front plate. only once have i been pulled over for no front plate, and he looked at it and I explained to him that I needed a bracket to mount the plate on, and he just let me go.

Old 07-07-2005, 01:37 PM
Ill just say I have a front bracket on order and its not in yet. Then if I get caught again ill buy the 60 dollar one that doesnt require the 2 holes

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: License plates