G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Infiniti NAV vs. Pocket PC NAV

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 04:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Infiniti NAV vs. Pocket PC NAV

I'd love to see a nav systme that can reliably be programmed by voice while driving. I believe infiniti and honda have products like that...I wonder how they work..

Old 06-21-2003, 12:22 PM

Family member has an '02 Q45. While it does have a pretty awesome voice recognition system, NAVI is probably the least integrated component. (You can control climate control and the audio system very well by voice...for example, click the steering wheel button and say "Temperature 72 Degrees" or "Radio Select 93.3 FM"). For NAVI, you can tell it to switch the type of view, to route to your home, and several other things, but you can't unfortunately do anything like program a destination. You may be able to quickstop at a nearest point of interest by voice - I'm honestly not certain on that one.

Honda's system looked a little more robust from the commercials, but I don't know for sure since I've never used it. I wonder if it allows complete destination programming, as that would be very nice.

I would love to see this in more cars - love the feature. Wish the G's had that (and backup camera).

And just to add my two cents, I'm a big fan of the Infiniti NAVI system and think it's well worth the price. You may use it much more than you think.

Old 06-21-2003, 12:33 PM

Thanks JD...I'll keep that in mind on dates....either way I'm sure it'll still be more impresive than a pocket pc glued to the dash...

Old 06-21-2003, 11:59 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Finally, my Nav will add to the re-sale value of my car.

<hr></blockquote>

Back when I wanted a QX4 I looked at a used one that had NAVI, the salesman told us that NAV really didn't help resale at all... he said it kind of hurts it because no one wants it. Most people don't want to learn how to use it, and use it as an advantage to get the price down ("Your charging that much for navi? I don't need that").

Still wish I had the navi in my own though =/. Just showing it off to friends is worth the $ .

Also, for those of us who already have a pocket pc (like myself) this is a good idea, you can carry around to any car and do a ton more stuff with the system.

Old 06-23-2003, 12:35 AM

JDMan: While I realize that this string is about the OEM unit vs. the pocket PC NAV, let me mention a couple of points about the Garmin StreetPilot. I'm on my third SP, and am pretty familiar with them. You mentioned the rapid pace of technology and how your unit will be on a par with competing technology three or four years from now. One of the distinct advantages of the Garmin system, is that it is flash ROM upgradable. As they make improvements in their software, you can download the changes and basically upgrade the guts of your unit. That can not be done with the factory $2K NAV. The pocket PC units currently only offer one DCA. Others can be ordered, but at an additional cost. Currently, during the Garmin SteetPilot sale, there is a $100 rebate, and they offer DCAs for total USA coverage.

Besides the portabability advantage, I installed my SP in the pit where the Infinit NAV would have gone, and am able to cant the screen towards the driving position, making it easier to see and read. The net cost on these units is $670.00. That leaves you $1,330. to spend on other G35 options.

03G35c/C_Blue/Willow/5AT/Premium/Splash/Garmin SteetPilot III/V1/SAT/XM/18" PermaStar rims w/NITTOs.

66614-G35c At GGNRA Thumb.jpg

Old 06-23-2003, 02:48 AM

How about this for sense...we're men, we don't need directions, so screw the nav...save the cash for exhaust work, suspension work, lighter wheels...

Drive it like I stole it?
Hell...drive it like I'm making payments on it...

Old 06-23-2003, 09:09 AM

Ryan, your looking at is all wrong...yes wer'e men and don't need directions...but then wer'e men and like to impress people with our toys
It's also good for permanantly preventing sometime that we HATE to do....ask for directions! Yuk...

Old 06-23-2003, 11:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ca_Kid: I'm not familiar with the product you mentioned, but a couple points:

1. It's not that I necessarily think the OEM Nav is so far ahead of the competition that it'll still be cutting edge in 5 years (although it IS currently better than a unit I recently saw in a 6-figure automobile). It's that 99% of car buyers are not interested in installing "aftermarket" or equivalent units in their car, so for them the OEM Nav is the only Nav. People who run these things on PCs, however, are more savvy, and aren't likely to pay as much for 5 year old technology. The other thing I would say is that I've never had a good experience with niche companies that offer free upgrades. If there's no profit, they're not gonna bust their hump to do it. I was about to add that I'm still waiting for the "free" software that was worked into the price of my GTech Pro Competition, but they decided to release it today. So only 8 months delay on that.

2. You're forgetting the advantages of good ol' long-term debt. In month #1, you have a $670 Nav and $1330 to invest in your car. I have a $2000 Nav and $2000 to invest in my car, because I'm doling that $2000 out in 60 installments over 5 years at 4.89% interest. About the cost per month of a tank of gas and a slurpee. And sure, if I own the car long enough I'll eventually have to pay for all of that, but do you think $400 is going to be worth as much a year from now? Or 5 years from now? Are interest rates going to be at this record low much longer?

I mean, I agree that it's overpriced at $2000. I think I'd be rigging up a laptop-based Nav too if they'd demanded the $2000 up front. But over 5 years at 4.89% interest? Why not? Find me an electronics store or stereo shop that's going to give me a deal like that on their goodies AND flawlessly install and warranty the thing for those 5 years with drive-up service AND roll it into your car insurance if a Hummer decides to test the effectiveness of your airbags. If I spend $700 on an aftermarket Nav today, then around April 23, 2005 I'll have $15 saved up versus going the OEM route. I mean, sure, we want to be the Ant rather than the Grasshopper, but lemme tell you something: Ants drive Hondas.

-Jack
Obsidian/graphite '03 Coupe premium nav

Old 06-23-2003, 11:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with justme97. The Navigation Unit strikes a perfect harmony in the Y chromosome between the Never-ask-directions gene and the Must-be-like-James-Bond gene.

-Jack
Obsidian/graphite '03 Coupe premium nav

Old 06-23-2003, 06:12 PM

Typical male response. Rather stay lost all day rather than ask anyone for directions. I travel to other parts of the state too much where I am not at all familiar with the territory, and have found the StreetPilot a big help in finding a specific address. If you never leave your own territory, and never have the occasion to ask for directions, by all means, save your $$ for your mods.

03G35c/C_Blue/Willow/5AT/Premium/Splash/Garmin SteetPilot III/V1/SAT/XM/18" PermaStar rims w/NITTOs.

Old 06-23-2003, 07:28 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club

Well aren't there some other features of the NAV unit? I thought it also displayed some vehicle data, like MPG, miles till empty and what not.? I would have liked the NAV, but I too could not justify the cost for the amount of use I'd get out of it. Now, it'd be great to get it to pick up OTA TV signals as well (I know I know, its illegal, but so what). Can't remember the website for the CO that can hook that up to OEM NAV systems.