G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

rain handling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 10:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wth went wrong in this thread?

I have hydroplaned in the G at 60mph outside of Dallas. I'm not sure if VDC 'saved' me or not, probably so since I started heading for an 18wheeler... Of course I know what to do in these situations and didnt do anything drastic. VDC started biasing brake from left to right, back and forth. I would say it brought me back from a 40 degree slide, still in my lane. I *might* have been able to keep in *near* the road. But VDC can do something I cant, activate braking on one corner of the car. I maintained throttle, it pulled what it needed it (if any). It was beautiful in its execution. An annoying nanny sometimes, but clearly it works.

Any car with 15K on RSA's would have lifted tho. There's no basis for the "Mustang" comparison. Alot of people dont realize that UHP tires tend to harden in 18-20 months. Rain traction goes away with a quickness. If youre spinning at the stop light under moderate throttle, its time for new tires. Or take it easy.

I recently got some 18" KDW2 NTs. Loud and a bit rough, but they are *great* in deep water. Seriously.. On rails in the rain. Among the best I've ever been on in rain... For now, not sure what they will be like in 10K miles.

Old 07-13-2005, 11:23 AM
I just leave the VDC on when I think I may encounter a situation that would be out of my control--via bad weather or road conditions.

Hockeyplay95

Old 07-13-2005, 01:46 PM
If the driver is accustomed to feathering the throttle by training with the VDC off then he/she would know how to "drive" the car in any weather at the traction limit of the rear tires at any speeds. Something you cannot do with the VDC on.
I disagree with this statement. What better way to learn the limits of your car SAFELY, than to do so with a safety net like VDC?? I drive with it both off and on and have unfortunately been taught a few lessons in the rain with it off. I gave it too much gas in a corner and ended up spinning her completely around. I was very lucky not to have hit anything or anybody. If it were on, I would have seen the limit of the traction without spinning it out. I now keep it on in all wet situations. Just my 2 cents.

Drink it in, Because this is how nice people explain things.
Nice people don't start sentences with "Drink it in" either. Stop being an a** every time you post.

Old 07-13-2005, 02:42 PM
Once again, this car is not an F1 car. It has it's limits but it is hard to get yourself into serious trouble iin this car with or without the VDC turned on or off. If you are afraid of the rain, start going around corners slowly and punch it, see what happens, learn how to recover. Drove RWD cars my entire life, snow, rain, everything, never once got into an accident in the snow or rain. Just learn what happens in bad situations.

Old 07-13-2005, 02:44 PM
feathering throttle or not, unless you've got rally car brakes, you cant bias braking to one corner of your car. In the one or two near pant loading experiences I've had with the G (over 2 years), each time it was the ABS to one wheel that brought the pointy end of the car back into a steerable condition.

Of course, in previous cars, I've driven out of those situations. Its just in the G, it wasnt an ordeal. It did a great job itself.

Last edited by TimW; 07-13-2005 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:39 PM
A CleanSweep Convert
I actually dislike driving my G in the rain period, then I have to get it detailed .

Seriously, the G does handle somewhat like a mustang in the rain. I’m running new Falkens in the rear. Then again it may be the $h!tty roads in South Tampa, that immediately flood after a light sprinkle

I can attest that the g35x sedan handles great in the rain.

Old 07-13-2005, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by Jtrain
Well In contrast to Theknite, You will hydroplane if you keep your VDC on. Your car will pull to the puddle, If you take it off you'll be fine.

My Advice to Theknite, Don't go over 3k rpms in the rain or else your asking for tuble.
Hydroyplaning is a caused by the tire not being able to push the water out from under it. Many things can contribute to hyrdroplaning. If a tire has very little tread it is more likely to hydroplane, If a tire is of a poor design and it does not force the water out from under the tire it will hydroplane, Just try to drive in even a light rain with racing slick's you will lose control before you hit 40mph. If it is raining very hard and your are driving fast the water will build up faster than it can be forced out under the tire causing it to hydroplane. The vdc has nothing to do with it and if you believe it does please explain how it has any effect on hydroplaning.

Old 07-13-2005, 09:56 PM
mc2
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay mc2 and madchef, Take a good look at this

Drink it in, Because this is how nice people explain things. Instead of instantly shoving your opinon down my throat and turning it into a pissing contest, You could just Explan it in a nice, calm, non condensading (sp?) way!

I completely agree with you, Despite my limited rain XP and tring it both on and off in VERY heavy rain. I can agree with a well put statement like that! And i'll probably leave it on the next time I drive.
Okay thanks for the advice Jtrain, here's some for you: shutup.

Sure, i am a nice guy. Just not to people i don't like, that's all.

Either way, driving in the rain scares me no matter what the hell i am driving. Luckily it barely rains here in California.

Old 07-13-2005, 09:56 PM
mc2
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay mc2 and madchef, Take a good look at this

Drink it in, Because this is how nice people explain things. Instead of instantly shoving your opinon down my throat and turning it into a pissing contest, You could just Explan it in a nice, calm, non condensading (sp?) way!

I completely agree with you, Despite my limited rain XP and tring it both on and off in VERY heavy rain. I can agree with a well put statement like that! And i'll probably leave it on the next time I drive.
Hey why dont you get his ******* out of your mouth while youre at it??

Old 07-13-2005, 10:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like pepperoni pizza with lots of cheeze.

Old 07-13-2005, 11:10 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mc2
Okay thanks for the advice Jtrain, here's some for you: shutup.

Sure, i am a nice guy. Just not to people i don't like, that's all.

I can understand and respect that, but don't make trouble, just ignore me and i'll do the same

And I like his shlong in my mouth bitch

Old 07-14-2005, 01:22 AM
Originally Posted by mc2
Either way, driving in the rain scares me no matter what the hell i am driving. Luckily it barely rains here in California.
Yeah, that's true... But when it does rain here in Cali, its like a celestial event.