G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Post your reviews of clokwork's g-plate (tow-hook license adapter)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 03:25 PM
Cmon Son!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These are pics of a clever idea a member who bought one did. he took the bracket that would normally be screwed into the front bumper and used it in accordance with the G|Plate to give it a flush look.

Attached Thumbnails Post your reviews of clokwork's g-plate (tow-hook license adapter)-dsc01124.jpg   Post your reviews of clokwork's g-plate (tow-hook license adapter)-dsc01127.jpg  
Old 08-03-2005, 03:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Optional
OMG, I could make one of these in an hour and have it be a helluva lot more robust than these. Do they even give you nylon 1/4" lock nuts? What's your time worth?

Old 08-03-2005, 04:02 PM
Z2G
Originally Posted by kidtronix
OMG, I could make one of these in an hour and have it be a helluva lot more robust than these. Do they even give you nylon 1/4" lock nuts? What's your time worth?
i agree...i bet total cost of materials is no more than $5-10. but there aren't too many choices out there for that type of product. so, for about $40, that's not bad. out of principle though, i agree that is sucks to pay that much for a piece of plastic and a few metal bolts and screws

Old 08-03-2005, 05:01 PM
Cmon Son!
Originally Posted by kidtronix
Man, you seroiusly dont know what you're talking about. I wish my materials did cost me 5-10 dollars. the custom machined body screw itself cost more than that to make.

Competiton would be great. Build one... sell it. Show me your's is better for the cost. Dont tell me you dont have time to do it... what's your time worth?

If you feel you can do this on your own, do so and dont sit on here and bash me for my business. After all is said and done... design/test, production, shipping/handling, and gas I barely make enough to make it worth it, but engineering is fun to me and so is the learning process of starting a business.

I do my best to give great customer service

Last edited by clokwork; 08-03-2005 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:19 PM
Sure the bolts and acrylic plate is probably cheap in material, however I believe the cost is well worth it when you consider that it's the actual mounting rod that's hard to come up with. I mean, you'd probably have to measure out the distance from the mount to the bumper, cut the rod, bore the center out with a drill press to make sure it's square and true. Then you'd have to tap it out so that means you have to have a tap set and one that's large enough to do so.

The concept is easy and requires very little materials, but it's the tools that most of us don't have and that's where I think for the price, it's worth it.

That's why I just bought one.

Old 08-03-2005, 06:22 PM
Cmon Son!
Originally Posted by badtziscool
Sure the bolts and acrylic plate is probably cheap in material, however I believe the cost is well worth it when you consider that it's the actual mounting rod that's hard to come up with. I mean, you'd probably have to measure out the distance from the mount to the bumper, cut the rod, bore the center out with a drill press to make sure it's square and true. Then you'd have to tap it out so that means you have to have a tap set and one that's large enough to do so.

The concept is easy and requires very little materials, but it's the tools that most of us don't have and that's where I think for the price, it's worth it.

That's why I just bought one.
I really appreciate you for that statement. Everything you stated is exactly true and I couldnt have said it any better.

Old 08-03-2005, 07:45 PM
Z2G
we appreciate your work and entrepreneurial spirit. however, i think it would rest easier for ppl if the kit parts where more than just basic looking metal bolts and screws that can be found in most hardware stores (except for the main tow bolt). for example, if you wrapped the main tow bolt in rubber tubing with somewhat matching colors (i.e. the grounding kits available in different colors), there would be very little complaints/comments on the endproduct and many more ppl in line to buy. just a suggestion

Old 08-03-2005, 08:21 PM
Hey!!! Constructive criticism. That's how it should be.

Old 08-03-2005, 09:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you're going to put front plates on, just use the factory bracket.
It's either you have front plates on or you don't, imho.

I don't use front plates and I've been pulled over a couple of times for it
on various cars, but never received a ticket...just a verbal warning and a
'nice car' comment.

Old 08-03-2005, 09:27 PM
Don't jsut use the factory bracket! They have to <b>DRILL</b> HOLES in the front bumper.. ahh I wish mine wasn't drilled. Stupid California cops with nothing better to do then give parking tickets on little side streets.

Old 08-03-2005, 09:36 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Am I looking at this correctly the part to which the plate mounts in Clear Plastic?

I think its a great Idea CLockwork, but What about when you paralel park or people do in front of you and they bump you? I know living in NYC i have that issue where most others dont. I just see it as a way to crack faster. How come you didnt use a metal strap instead where the plate could be mounted via 2 Bolts at least its stronger and 2 bolts are more then enough to hold it in place.
Dont get me wrong i think its a great that you did that... just choice of material is the question. Honestly a metal strap like you have on current order to that bolt and 2 holes for mounting plate is way better in my opinion.

i did something of my own on my 03 back when i got it...and just did the same to 05. It screwed to the underside of the car. I wanted to have it as low as possible. can be removed/put on in a matter of 2 min. Plate is held on with only 2 screws and its been 2 yrs now hitting curbs and cones and other road debree and the plate is yet to fall off.

Attached Thumbnails Post your reviews of clokwork's g-plate (tow-hook license adapter)-brack1.jpg   Post your reviews of clokwork's g-plate (tow-hook license adapter)-brack2.jpg  
Old 08-03-2005, 10:13 PM
Guys Constructive Criticism is good ... but give the guy some credit ... he designed a G plate for the G bruthaz ... Thanks a lot Clok ... you've done a great job! ... and the G plate is exceptional .. i think everyone should get one...

Old 08-04-2005, 12:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
clokwork, do you have any 2005 coupe versions in stock?

Old 08-04-2005, 06:15 AM
You guys are missing the point on the manufacturing end of the main piece. There is even more to it than mentioned above, quite a bit more. Also, for all of you people ragging on the common hardware and the price... Where were you when Doug Stewart released the Crawford Plenum? After all it's only one hard piece to fabricate with a bunch of COTS (commercial off the shelf) hardware that you can get at any local hardware store.

You can tell who has and who has not ever designed, tested, manufactured and distributed a product before by the ignorant comments some have made in this thread. I've offered my services to Clokwork to help him reduce some of his production costs so that he can actually make a profit selling this thing. IMO, he is selling it to the public right now for what should be the wholesale price!

This kit is GREAT! You can add a front plate any time you like. You can remove it for meets, car shows, when you wash the car, etc... in no time flat. Pop back in the tow hook cover and you're car looks perfect! I really like the way Dave incorporated the stock bracket. That looks really good and he has NO HOLES in his bumper!

Hopefully my kit for testing and CAD development will be arriving any day now...

Old 08-05-2005, 04:19 PM
Woohoo! I just added the longer screw I got in the mail and I just have to say... it's WONDERFUL! Thanks clokwork for the great service even after the original product arrived! Thanks

Woop!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Post your reviews of clokwork's g-plate (tow-hook license adapter)