G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Race Gas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 12:33 AM
mc2
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jesse370
LOL i always love reading posts like this or hearing people say it...

All that number means basically is the resistance to detonation, Like a few others have said unless you are running a stupid amount of timing, or boost you have no need for it...AT ALL! If you want a little more snap, go mix some tolune.
like i said, vroom vroom high octane!

People will continue to believe this myth and convince themselves of it. I have yet to hear on the elaboration of cleaner burning or acclaimed combustion. When an reasonable explanation or credible source is given i'll humbly eat my words and shutup.

Old 07-26-2005, 12:36 AM
Florida G35 Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mc2
like i said, vroom vroom high octane!

People will continue to believe this myth and convince themselves of it. I have yet to hear on the elaboration of cleaner burning or acclaimed combustion. When an reasonable explanation or credible source is given i'll humbly eat my words and shutup.
I back you up on this subject.

Old 07-26-2005, 01:14 AM
I agree/support everyone's description of how race gas will not increase performance on a near stock G. Race gas became real popular on the street scene when guys started putting in race gas in their cars to safely and effectively raise boost pressure on their FI cars. When people saw the "gains" everyone who could pay 6-7 dollars a gallon, did. Not to say race gas wouldn't help naturally aspirated motors, it will, just not with a few bolt ons...

Old 07-26-2005, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by mc2
Acclaimed combustion from race gas? Oh please, do tell.

vroom vroom high octane!
oxygenation content that race gas has to contribute to a more explosive combustion.

Old 07-26-2005, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by jesse370
LOL i always love reading posts like this or hearing people say it...

All that number means basically is the resistance to detonation, Like a few others have said unless you are running a stupid amount of timing, or boost you have no need for it...AT ALL! If you want a little more snap, go mix some tolune.
I have used xylene mixed with 92 octane. I used to use it in my turbo regal. It resisted knock but the car still felt like a dog. on xylene i was consistent with doing 12.5 on the 1/4 mi. on C16, the car was consistent with doing 12.0, I eventually broke into the 11s as the night got cooler. The results werent back to back in one night, but on consecutive nights.

Old 07-26-2005, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by G XXXV
I agree/support everyone's description of how race gas will not increase performance on a near stock G. Race gas became real popular on the street scene when guys started putting in race gas in their cars to safely and effectively raise boost pressure on their FI cars. When people saw the "gains" everyone who could pay 6-7 dollars a gallon, did. Not to say race gas wouldn't help naturally aspirated motors, it will, just not with a few bolt ons...
I fully understand the concept, most of the G35s on the road never really will get a chance to roadrace and guage any differences. My fit is to be faster than on of the other G35s on the track days I attened, less the mods he has (ie. Stillen S/C, coilovers, R-compound tires, exhaust). All I have is R-compound tires and I'm 1.5 seconds slower than he is. I'm just looking for that extra umph, aside from improving my skills (as far as I know now, I need to refine).

Old 07-26-2005, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by 636Racer
oxygenation content that race gas has to contribute to a more explosive combustion.
NO. NO. NO!

That has nothing to do with it! The only things that higher octance fuel has going for it is the fact that it has additives in it to help resist knock...And the fuel itself is more resistant to detonation...

It means a SLOWER burn in your cylinder...Its because when you greatly increase your compression through either higher comp pistons or jamming more air in with a hairdryer you are increasing the pressure in the cylinder and without that higher octane fuel you run the risk of having the mixture touch off before the piston reaches TDC...

The g35 is designed to run with premium fuel. The cars timing and fueling is in line with that, you add a higher octane fuel and the car can't just magically adjust the timing values to take advantage of this.....

If you are getting beat at the track by other G's you need to look at the setups they have against yours...Do you have big heavy wheels, a bad launch? What do your ET's and trap speeds look like compared between the two...

Old 07-26-2005, 04:41 PM
I'm not racing in terms of 1/4mi times. I'm talking lap times on a road course. Race gas has a totally different characteristic than premium fuel regardless of octane rating. My stress is not about octane rating, it's about what the fuel is capable of in terms of combustion, oxygenation and the kind of energy it will displace (btu) to put in terms of Horsepower.

just to show another extreme use of race gas, I also track my bikes. My 636R runs on VP Racing's MR9, which has an Octane rating of 87. It's oxygenated, having a higher oxygenation context than your pump 87, giving a more complete burn and higher BTU. Keep in mind thie compression ratio of sport bikes is rather high. Mines in particular is 12.8:1 on 87 octane "race gas." A lot of competitors on sportbikes use MR9 racegas in their sporbikes on racedays. It's just to show a difference between using 87 "pump gas" vs 87 "race gas". yet, the manufacturer suggest the bike be fueled with no less than 91 rating. You would think to be using a higher octane rating because ot the stratospheric compression ratio. But in this case, it's the opposite and we take in account the energy made resulted from combustion than the rating of octane.

As some of you can see, I'm expressing/differentiating the thermal energy (btu) from octane, that race gas has. you dont have to have a higher octane rating race gas to have a higher oxyenation content. With MR9, it's specifically for small 4-stroke engines so, I dont know how an engine like the VQ could benefit from MR9. Just that I hope some of you can understand what things I'd like to benefit from, from race gas.

Last edited by 636Racer; 07-26-2005 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mc2
Okay, not being a jackass, but seirous question here: can you get your car to knock with 93 octane?
Almost all cars are now equipped with octane sensors that adjust timing if the octane is lower than recommended for your engine. So you won't get knock with 93 octaine nor will you get knock with 89 octaine. If you run 89 octaine in an engine dessined for 93, you will lose power but that's about it. The only other thing to consider is that some companies put their best detergents in their premium fuel.

Old 07-26-2005, 09:22 PM
Octane sensors? That's the 1st time I've heard about that. The only thing I know of that corelates with adjusting timing is the kock sensor.

Old 07-27-2005, 12:46 AM
mc2
Originally Posted by FAST1
Almost all cars are now equipped with octane sensors that adjust timing if the octane is lower than recommended for your engine. So you won't get knock with 93 octaine nor will you get knock with 89 octaine. If you run 89 octaine in an engine dessined for 93, you will lose power but that's about it. The only other thing to consider is that some companies put their best detergents in their premium fuel.

Wanna bet that i can't knock with 89?

and as 636 racer said, it's not an octane sensor, but a knock sensor. I know how cars work. Thanks for that tidbit though.

Old 07-27-2005, 12:47 AM
mc2
I'm not racing in terms of 1/4mi times. I'm talking lap times on a road course. Race gas has a totally different characteristic than premium fuel regardless of octane rating. My stress is not about octane rating, it's about what the fuel is capable of in terms of combustion, oxygenation and the kind of energy it will displace (btu) to put in terms of Horsepower.

just to show another extreme use of race gas, I also track my bikes. My 636R runs on VP Racing's MR9, which has an Octane rating of 87. It's oxygenated, having a higher oxygenation context than your pump 87, giving a more complete burn and higher BTU. Keep in mind thie compression ratio of sport bikes is rather high. Mines in particular is 12.8:1 on 87 octane "race gas." A lot of competitors on sportbikes use MR9 racegas in their sporbikes on racedays. It's just to show a difference between using 87 "pump gas" vs 87 "race gas". yet, the manufacturer suggest the bike be fueled with no less than 91 rating. You would think to be using a higher octane rating because ot the stratospheric compression ratio. But in this case, it's the opposite and we take in account the energy made resulted from combustion than the rating of octane.

As some of you can see, I'm expressing/differentiating the thermal energy (btu) from octane, that race gas has. you dont have to have a higher octane rating race gas to have a higher oxyenation content. With MR9, it's specifically for small 4-stroke engines so, I dont know how an engine like the VQ could benefit from MR9. Just that I hope some of you can understand what things I'd like to benefit from, from race gas.
Chemically, how is 87 race gas different than 87 pump gas, in detail if you could instead of just "acclaimed combustibility". I am actually quite interested now. Since you don't seem to be making the higher octange = better argument i'll lay off that subject.

Old 07-27-2005, 02:01 AM
Originally Posted by mc2
Chemically, how is 87 race gas different than 87 pump gas, in detail if you could instead of just "acclaimed combustibility". I am actually quite interested now. Since you don't seem to be making the higher octange = better argument i'll lay off that subject.
The energy created measured in BTU is sets the two apart. Also which I am also emphasizing. 87 race gas IS highly more combustable than 87 pump gas. One of the other things is flash point, which is the lowest temperature fuel will ignite. Meaning it would take less of a spark to have race gas combust, though more is better to ensure a more complete burn. race gas is rather "reknown" instead of "acclaimed" to be more combustable than pump gas. I dont know how to futher describe it. If you've been exposed to MR9 race gas, the smell alone would describe it's potency. Someone with a rocket science major would know more than I about fuels. So in general, it's the type of combustion that sets the two apart.

Last edited by 636Racer; 07-27-2005 at 02:03 AM.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:59 AM
Does anyone here use'm on raceday/trackday?

I use pump 100 racegas on trackdays. I'm looking to step up to something like C16. opinions? any setbacks? has anyone gone with leaded race gas in their G35?
PT Barnum was right !

Old 07-27-2005, 03:11 AM
mc2
The energy created measured in BTU is sets the two apart. Also which I am also emphasizing. 87 race gas IS highly more combustable than 87 pump gas. One of the other things is flash point, which is the lowest temperature fuel will ignite. Meaning it would take less of a spark to have race gas combust, though more is better to ensure a more complete burn. race gas is rather "reknown" instead of "acclaimed" to be more combustable than pump gas. I dont know how to futher describe it. If you've been exposed to MR9 race gas, the smell alone would describe it's potency. Someone with a rocket science major would know more than I about fuels. So in general, it's the type of combustion that sets the two apart.
Hmm.. i am still hard pressed to be convinced with out some kind of scientific data. if you want more combustible fuel, use lower octane.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Race Gas