G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Dealer blames mods and ME! PLEASE READ IMPORTANT TO ME!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2005 | 05:38 PM
I am NOT a Lawyer not am I giving you legal advice. But print this out and you can throw this at them. They have to prove your aftermarket mods broke your car. The folks at SEMA have been fighting for tuners for years now. Check this out.

"The Magnuson-Moss Act
Protecting tweakers, tuners, and other users of aftermarket equipment.

You want to upgrade your vehicle with aftermarket equipment, but you’re worried about putting the vehicle’s warranty at risk. It’s no wonder. How many times have you heard someone of a dealership say that installing aftermarket equipment automatically voids the warranty? This common misconception has been repeated often enough to be widely believed – though it is completely false.

Fact: Dealers don’t like warranty work, because it pays less than normal repair work. By promoting the myth that aftermarket equipment automatically voids warranties, some dealers avoid such low-paying work. Instead, they attempt to charge customers the prime service rate for work which is rightfully done under warranty.

THE TRUTH
Most vehicle owners are not aware they are protected by federal law: the Magnuson-Moss Warranty – Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975. Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, aftermarket equipment which improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer’s original warranty, unless the warranty clearly and conspicuously states that aftermarket equipment voids the warranty. Most states have warranty statutes, as well. Which provide further protections for vehicle owners.

In other words, that means a dealer can’t wiggle out of his legal warranty obligation merely because you install aftermarket equipment. To find out if any aftermarket equipment automatically voids your vehicle’s warranty, check the owner’s manual. It is likely the language you are looking for appears under a heading such as “What Is Not Covered” Although the language seems negative, remember your vehicle manufacturer is simply saying he does not cover the aftermarket products themselves. He is not saying that the products would void the vehicle warranty.

VEHICLE DEALERS OBLIGATIONS
Suppose your modified vehicle needs repairs while still under warranty. Without analyzing the true cause of the problem, the dealer attempts to deny warranty coverage. He made his decision simply based on the fact that you’ve installed aftermarket equipment – a convenient way to dodge low-paying warranty work.

An example of how ridiculous this can get is the man who was denied warranty coverage by a dealer on his power door locks, because he had improved his exhaust system! Sounds nuts? It really happened – because that man did not know his rights and challenge the dealer’s decision.

Fact: A dealer must prove – not just say – that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before he can deny warranty coverage on that basis.

YOUR RIGHTS
Point out to the dealer the provision of the Magnuson-Moss Act- Require that he explain to you how the aftermarket equipment caused the problem. If he can’t – or his explanation sounds questionable – it is your legal right to demand he comply with the warranty.

Fact: If you are still being unfairly denied warranty coverage, there is recourse. The Federal Trade Commission, which administers the Magnuson-Moss Act, monitors compliance with warranty issues. Direct complaints to the FTC at (202) 326-3128.

DODGE MOTORS
“Certain changes that you might make to your truck do not, by themselves, void the warranties described in this booklet. Examples of some of these changes are: installing non-Chrysler parts, components, or equipment.” – 1997 Warranty Information supplement to Dodge

Owner’s Manual:
GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION
“If a Chevrolet part fails due to a defect in material or workmanship not related to (on aftermarket products) or the labor to install it. Chevrolet would be responsible for covering the failed part.” – Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center

FORD MOTOR COMPANY:
“Installation of a non-genuine Ford item does not, in and of itself, render warranty void.” – Ford Owner Relations Division

FEDERAL LAW
‘In order to improve the adequacy of information available to consumers, prevent deception, and improve competition in the marketing of consumer products, any warrantor warranting a consumer product to a consumer by means of a written warranty shall. . .fully and conspicuously disclose in simple and readily understood language the terms and conditions of such warranty. Such rules . . . require inclusion in the written warranty of any . . . exceptions and exclusions from the terms of the warranty.’ – Magnuson-Moss Warranty & Federal Trade Commission improvement Act. Section 2302(a)"

Old 07-31-2005 | 05:40 PM
^Wow, thats some good news to hear.

Anyone have any info on Infiniti or G35 in particular and their aftermarket stance?

Old 07-31-2005 | 05:41 PM
|
500 to check itt? wtf is that. i swear infiniti service suckss. theyre always trying to blow stuff out. thats insanee. 500 is al otof money for people. they dont understand that. then they think that they can pull your leg and charge you for a check, which is what theyre supposed to do. arent they the service dept? theyre supposed to see ifsomehting is wrong with your car. if its not, then ok thank you for checking it. not heres your bill for 500 cuz your clutch needs to be replaced. oh ya get an aftermarket clutch. try www.hopupracing.com they had some good prices

Old 07-31-2005 | 05:45 PM
|
we should make this a sticky. thats some good info up there. we cant have people messing w/ us like this.

Old 07-31-2005 | 06:54 PM
Btw a fellow NatGclub member posted this info up in our forums. I had already known about it but did not have the link.

You can see the thread here. But if we could not mod our cars lots of companies would be out of business.

See the post here.

https://g35driver.com/forums/nationalgclub/61244-warrnty-info-must-read.html

Old 07-31-2005 | 06:56 PM
They can't just say you put XXX on your car so you broke it and voided your warranty. They have to prove your mods broke your car.

Old 07-31-2005 | 10:53 PM
Yes the g is a "sport" coupe with alot of sports car feel and parts in it....BUT

that does NOT mean that because of that the tranny can handle improper shifting..

Its one thing to drive hard, its another to drive in a abusive manner. You want smooth precise shifts, its not a race car, you don't need to bang from 4th to 5th as fast as humanly possible...I would be willing to be that most of the synchro failures on these cars are from people shifting too quickly. You just have to give the synchros a second to get moving. If not the gears are going to shift and the lil soft brass synchro gears get beat to hell....

Its just interesting that a few people are complaining of just 5th though. I mean I could really understand that if you were having 3rd synchro failures I would say 95% of the time it was just abuse and not shifting properly...But like I said in a earlier post that something isn't right to be burning up a 5th gear synchro.

In my sti tranny I shift fast, but I only use 2-3 fingers and I could shift faster if I wanted...But when you only use 2-3 fingers instead of a gorilla grip on the shifter you have far less leverage and force on the shifter and if things aren't ready yet with that method you can feel when to back off....

Old 08-01-2005 | 01:04 AM
|
ya i usually dont grip the whole shifter when i shift. I just use my fingers n stuff. I would also believe it if the grinding was 2nd 3rd or even 4th, but to be shifting/banging the 5th gear that would mean im doing 100+ most of the time. Which in LA we know is almost impossible. So it doesnt make sense to me that it would be b/c of my driving. plus i know how to drive a stick pretty well. doesnt make sense to me at all.

Old 08-01-2005 | 05:20 AM
26k miles on my G35 the 6MT was replaced because I lost 5th gear. At the time had zero mods on the car. 2000 miles before the clutch went out as well. Both replaced under warranty.

Old 08-01-2005 | 12:16 PM
|
just happens way too often

Old 08-02-2005 | 12:07 PM
If you have the option to go to another dealer, just don't waste your time. It will just stress you! not worth it. If the same thing happens with other dealers, I would write a formal complain, make it straight and short and ask them to reply in 10 days. Tell them that if they don't respond accordinly, you'll escalate the problem.... then from there you may have other choices go to Infiniti (call 1 800 number) or BBB, or any goverment agency. Last resoret would be a lawyer and make them pay the fees.

Old 08-02-2005 | 12:11 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Originally Posted by andy2434
You want to ask those folks if they have ever heard of the Magnuson Moss Act. I suggest that you and your father look this up.
here's a link...http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/magnusonmoss.htm

Old 08-02-2005 | 12:16 PM
|
yea i printed that whole act out. im going in this week, b/c the infiniti engineer is here or something like that. They said they want an hour with the car. Then they will let us know. I wanna make sure I am there while they are inspecting it.

Old 08-02-2005 | 02:36 PM
It seems to me that I also read that adding mods would not vopid the warrenty a completely but only the affected parts.

Example... If you make suspension changes and some thing goes worng with the suspension it does not void the warrenty on your engine nor should it void coverage on your tranny, only the suspension would not be covered.

Old 08-02-2005 | 02:58 PM
|
exactly...my dealer is just an idiot. c'mon ive driven stick for a long time, plus no way an exhaust can void warranty. he can suck my left___ (fill in the blank)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dealer blames mods and ME! PLEASE READ IMPORTANT TO ME!