G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Just got spanked and then some...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 03:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stl_ls1gto
most of you either dont know much about cars, or are just ignorant about domestics. An LS1 manual trans am or camero is easily a low 13 second car - stock. They weigh about 3400 lbs, are underrated at 305 HP, 320 if it is a WS6 or SS. They dyno at around 320 to the wheels stock with just as much torque. My GTO dynoed at 300 to the wheels, but it has an auto and IRS, both of which suck up more power than the manual and live axel in the F-body's. I am suprised he didnt beat you by more than 6 cars since his car is a second faster than you stock for stock. If you go to the track and get beat by a second in the quarter, it is more than 6 carlenghths. Even an auto would have smokedyou. The turbo and S/C G's are mostly running mid-low 13's, so even most of those would have gotten beat, although it would be alot closer.

I know I wouldnt race one in my G.
Amen! I don't know why everyone thinks a stock G would have a chance in hell against an LS1. Not even close.

You are right, the LS1 f-bodies are GROSSLY underrated hp wise. When I had my C5 Vette I had a friend and his little brother who drove a Ws6 Trans Am and a Camaro SS, respectively. Routinely we would go out to deserted areas just to goof off on private, closed, roads.

On perfect starts for us against either one of them it would always be a very very close race with me coming ahead about 1-1.5 car length/s up to 100mph, and I had exhaust and intake going against their stock LS1s. Same would happen from a rolling start of 30mph-115ish, virtually eliminating driver skill.

So would I give it a run against a 2002 Camaro Z28? Sure. Would I expect to win, not at all.

Would I rather drive my G? NO $HIT!

As for spinning all the way through first...did you just rev up to 6k and dump it??? Because I think at an even start the z28 would probably only get you by 2 lengths. Your start absolutely took you out of the race.

It sounds like you are pretty new to manual tranny cars, and especially throttle modulation for maximum grip starts. No worries. It just takes practice and time. And with both you develop feel for different road surfaces and conditions. Ever consider going out to a local 1/4 strip and get some ride alongs with some people? Would def help you to improve.

Enjoy the G, and the girl!

Old 08-01-2005, 03:28 AM
Originally Posted by Pathis
I didnt see you mention whether or not you turned VDC off. If you didnt and you were spinning the tires in 1st you just lost alot of power and time.
Uh, how could he even spin through 1st with vdc on, it applies brake and cuts throttle, enough to stop any prolonged(all the way through first) slippage.

Correct me if I am wrong because I am NOT going to go out and try it myself

Old 08-01-2005, 03:42 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
Originally Posted by SnMDesignStudio
I wonder if his record is 57-1, Cru...
Or his IQ.

Old 08-01-2005, 04:29 AM
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by smokedhen
I'll be scared that they would do something to my car.
I would be too.

Off topic, but some 200+lb woman decided to sit againt my car in the parking lot of the mall, while talking to her friends in the car parked next to mine. I said with a stern voice, "Please get off my car." She just stood there and stared at me. I had to repeat myself 3 times before she finally moved. Then she starts running here mouth. I had to move my car because I was afraid she was going to key my car or something.

Old 08-01-2005, 10:27 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by kdiesl
I went to the cape last week with my girl some punk *** daddys boy in a yellow z28 pulled up next to me talking ****. I wanted to have some fun so I ran my mouth too told him my rims cost more than his car. He kept running his mouth I jumped out and whopped his *** and his boys my girl jumped out and fought too. I'm not going to race and risk hurting someone innocent like a child I'd rather jump out and hurt the retard thats challeging me.
This qualifies as "fun" for you? Were you raised by wolves? Coyotes? What?

I heard that slack-jawed-mouth-breathers congregate in groups. Now I have proof. This runs a close second to the "you did the crime but aren't guilty" post that leads the pack for the stupidest thing I've ever read on G35Driver..

Too bad you all didn't have guns so you could've killed each other off and spared the rest of us the grief of dealing with you for the rest of your lives.

Old 08-01-2005, 05:21 PM
Don't feel too bad. Being new at the stick gave you really no chance to win against that Z28. Even if you were good and so was he, you still would have lost. The stock Z28's of that year ran HIGH 13's at best, contrary to other's beliefs. The Camaro Z28 SS ran lower 13's. This is common knowledge to people who know racing that actually race. If that guy had an intake and exhaust he would have approached the lower 13's. Approximately every 100 pounds added to most cars (eg. a 100 lb girl) will knock off about a 10th (approximately) from your 1/4 mile time.

Here is a good site for reference. It offeres a reasonable range of times from different accurate sources. If you really want to practice 'safely' and you want to see what you can really do, go to the race track man. Don't put anyone else at risk. Here's that site below:

http://www.ssmoparmuscle.com/speedcomp.htm

RJG35

Old 08-01-2005, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
This qualifies as "fun" for you? Were you raised by wolves? Coyotes? What?

I heard that slack-jawed-mouth-breathers congregate in groups. Now I have proof. This runs a close second to the "you did the crime but aren't guilty" post that leads the pack for the stupidest thing I've ever read on G35Driver..

Too bad you all didn't have guns so you could've killed each other off and spared the rest of us the grief of dealing with you for the rest of your lives.

Gee - A bit rough don't you think?

Old 08-01-2005, 07:10 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Not at all. Read the subject of his post. They all piled out of their cars and got into a fight over a CHALLENGE to street race. Not the OUTCOME of a streetrace or something that happened DURING a streetrace, but over the mere CHALLENGE of a streetrace.

I meant every word. For someone to behave in such a fashion leads me to believe that AT BEST they were raised in a cave by parents wearing loincloths and carrying clubs.

Old 08-01-2005, 11:39 PM
Obsessive Owner
1. I did have VDC off.

2. I did no rev to 6k and dump, i reved to ~3.5k, and let clutch out faster than normal but didnt drop it (feathering i think it is called), and i applied gas as I did this. By the time the clutch was all the way out the gas was almost all the way down. I usually spin a little tire and grip it at about 4k, I think I was just anxious/nervous I also redlined, then threw shifter into next gear, then dumped clutch and floored it. I didnt smoothly shift. Which is better?

3. I didnt know the Z28 had so much power, I went into the race thinking I had a chance. (also had full gas tank)

4. I personally wouldnt get into a physical fight over a challenge to race, but I am happy to fight in self defense anyday. I dont usually like to start fights, but I have nothing against self defense.

5. (Not to hijack a thread, but it was originally mine ) People with 05 6MT, how long have your tires/brakes/clutch lasted and what are your driving habitts?

Thanks for all the replies,
-Mike

Old 08-01-2005, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by MikeStarrG35

2. I did no rev to 6k and dump, i reved to ~3.5k, and let clutch out faster than normal but didnt drop it (feathering i think it is called), and i applied gas as I did this. By the time the clutch was all the way out the gas was almost all the way down. I usually spin a little tire and grip it at about 4k, I think I was just anxious/nervous I also redlined, then threw shifter into next gear, then dumped clutch and floored it. I didnt smoothly shift. Which is better?
Yes, its called feathering or modulating the clutch. You will just find that there are different traction scenarios based on many different factors such as temperature, road temp, road surface grip, tire wear, etc...

It just becomes a feel issue once you start feeling the grip go away.

As for shifting, you want to do it as quickly as possible in the straight line situation. Just remember though, you don't have to slam the clutch to the floor when making these aggressive shifts because the clutch does engage FULLY after only being depressed about 3 inches or so. Going all the way to the floor will only slow you down from what is considered optimum.

Here is a good way to practice getting the feel aspect of a launch down:

Go to a wet parking lot and practice starts that have the least amount of slippage possible. You will find yourself being able to gauge the traction limits much better this way.

When you go to apply this to a dry surface you will have to remember that it takes slightly higher revs since you will obviously have more traciton.

And be safe and have fun!

Old 08-02-2005, 11:12 AM
Obsessive Owner
ScapGF: Thanks, I have been to a wet parking lot only once, and that was more just for fun and seeing how the car would handle in turns on a wet day, never thought of practicing launches. Thanks.

Old 08-02-2005, 11:45 AM
Ya Know MikeStarrG35, I agree that it's fun to race on the street. What I meant about practicing on the track was to do just that. I didn't say don't race on the streets. I do it all the time, but I've practiced on the track and I'll race light to light when no one else is around and with no one else in the car with me unless they want to be there and understand the risks. It's quite easy to 'lose' control of the the tailend and it's a good idea to be able to have enough experience to handle that with ease. I watched a video of a guy in a Ferrari 360 Modena at the Drag track lose control and smuch right into the barriers. That was painful to watch! He lost the rearend and couldn't get it back. I'm just suggesting to practice where it's safe until you're sure you can handle it. Good luck developing your skills.

RJG35

Old 08-02-2005, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
I meant every word. For someone to behave in such a fashion leads me to believe that AT BEST they were raised in a cave by parents wearing loincloths and carrying clubs.
Uh, scratch the loincloths and you're closer.

This forum is full of clueless gangsta-wannabe racer fools. Another member recently made the argument that if you own a G35 and are a member of G35Driver.com, you're clearly ahead of the pack technically. I would counter that if you own a G35 and are a member of this forum, there's a substantial chance the only pack you're ahead of on a regular basis is that throng of VTEC ricers down the block you keep egging on. And that not for long, because the LS1-killing 6MT coupe you're driving just shat three syncros, a clutch and two rods because you read here that speed-shifting was something engineers built street cars to do.

Lowering myself from the soapbox now. Gee, quit getting me riled up.

Old 08-02-2005, 01:48 PM
Obsessive Owner
JKwright: I am not sure I understand your post. Are you saying that because I raced a LS1 and lost, my 6MT is going to sh*t out three synchros, a clutch, and two rods, because i shifted quickly? Sorry, I am not trying to be combative or argumentative, I just dont understand your post. Does anyone else know what he is trying to say?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just got spanked and then some...