G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Vicious attack of vandalism

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 07:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vicious attack of vandalism

I haven't posted for awhile as I've been happily driving my 03 6 speed with the FABULOUS new AvonTech M550 A/S all-season tyres -- smooth, quiet, responsive AND sure-footed in rain and light snow. Available through Tirerack.

But I was attending a work conference in Charlottesville, VA, 125 miles from my home in Urbanna, VA and parked in the covered garage of the OMNI hotel near the historic district and University of Virginia. I got up early Friday morning, August 5, to run and went down to get my sunglasses from the car.

As I approached the car from the rear my jaw dropped and heart sank to see the back window totally smashed, then four mighty blows to the trunk lid, two of which punctured the sheet metal. The driver's side was totally worked over with attempts to smash those windows which left deep gouges, the rear quarter panel had been hit hard and punctured with the same tool or tire iron, leaving a deep dent and trailing crease, the door had been struck AND kicked in by apparently TWO people because the police found and attempted to lift prints from one large bare foot and one boot tread.

A couple of odd points: My car was the only one vandalized in the entire lot of over 200 cars. There was NO attempt to get inside the car, all my belongings were untouched and there was no attempt to f--- up the upholstery, tires, or mechanical systems. Purely a sustained brutal assault on the exterior.

The oddest part of all was blood spatter on the driver's window. Three cops showed up, one a forensics guy who lifted prints with adhesive sheets and then dusted and finally took swabs of the blood to check the DNA database.

Well, after an entire morning coordinating with the hotel security (worthless night security and NO cameras in the garage), local police (courteous and efficient and WAY more detailed than I would have expected), Nationwide insurance (always responsive and quick), Safelite glass (not helpful because they don't stock G35 glass anywhere in the state), Enterprise car rental, and then later the hotel security manager (former NY cop who was quite competent). So, now it will be several days driving around in a LOVELY Chevy Cavalier until repairs are completed.

The police and the head of security speculated that my car was definitely targeted, probably by an enraged spouse or boyfriend/girlfriend of someone in Charlottesville who has the same car and suspected them of hooking up at the hotel with someone else -- I don't have vanity tags but plain Jane VA tags to minimize calling attention to myself. I had NO altercations or encounters with anyone on my trip over the day before, nor do I know anyone in Charlottesville....and NO, I don't have a girlfriend in C-Ville

This is my first incident of vandalism since buying the car in May 2003. part of me wonders if you can even have a nice car anymore without envious or spiteful people lashing out like this. But then, who wants to drive around in a Chevy Cavalier just to keep a low profile???

Comments, my brethren and sistren (is that a word?)

Old 08-06-2005, 08:09 AM
That sucks man. Hopefully it will be repaired quick and you'll be back on the road. I'd prob agree with police with the case of mistaken identity of the car, otherwise why would someone just target you if you are on business.

Old 08-06-2005, 09:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VWClough: Man, I don't think I buy into the I hate G35 motive. Are you certain that no one is out to get you? Did you have any recent road encounters? It's amazing how some people react violently to the most innocent events.

About five years ago my brother and I were following a truck that was going a few miles an hour under the speed limit. Since there was no legal place to pass, we didn't. Behind me was a Porsche and apparently he was in a hurry because he passed me and then passed the truck. When he passed the truck, the driver of the truck blew his horn at the Porsche and then began curssing the driver. Unfortunately the Porsche stopped and the drivers of both cars got out of their vehicles and immediately began fighting. If my brother and I weren't there to intervene, I believe that the truck driver would have killed the guy driving the Porsche. And all of this because he was passed by a Porsche.

Old 08-06-2005, 09:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeh, sounds like a personal issue and not a random act. sorry to hear

>But then, who wants to drive around in a Chevy Cavalier just to keep a low profile???

yeh, I know what you mean. I drive a Civic which is 100% better.
yeah right...

Old 08-06-2005, 10:05 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
VWClough,
The theory that it was mistaken for another ride sounds plausible to me. Sorry for the bad luck man. The body damage can be repaired easily and at least you'll get fresh paint after 2 yrs of dings and scratches.
I does make you wonder about having something nice these days.

best of luck with repairs.
C.

Old 08-06-2005, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by Gsedanman
VWClough,
The theory that it was mistaken for another ride sounds plausible to me. Sorry for the bad luck man. The body damage can be repaired easily and at least you'll get fresh paint after 2 yrs of dings and scratches.
I does make you wonder about having something nice these days.

best of luck with repairs.
C.
I agree...that kind of damage seems to be targeted. Likely to the wrong person unfortunitely. Either that or it was a extreme case of jealousy but that's more of a stretch I suppose. Hopefully the hotel/police find out who did it. The blood should be a very big clue as it was likely from the person doing it. It does suck that there were no cameras though.
Good luck with getting everything in order man. We all feel for you here.

Old 08-06-2005, 11:48 AM
E_K
Location: Toh-rensa,Ahteesia,Ahcadia,Montree Pak, Longa Beacha
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry to hear about all that.

I agree that the perpetrator probably targetted the wrong car.

If those guys came to LA, they'd have to take out several hundred G35s before getting to the right one. They'd have their work cut out for them.

Old 08-06-2005, 12:24 PM
Love Poker!!!
I hope bad Karma comes back to those people, and hope you get your ride back soon.

Old 08-06-2005, 12:45 PM
A couple of weeks ago I came out of my office at days end to discover someone poured coffee all over my car. Fortunately the car had a fresh wax job and the coffee probably hadn't been on long enough to cause paint damage...it came off with water and a good scrub. I was upset for only a few minutes because I realized it wasn't too serious. I was more bothered by the thought of who would have done something like this at work. I know what happened to me is no where near what happened to you but I can relate. Ten years ago someone scraped my car at work. I investigated until I found the culprit. This jerk who was just a jealous ***** did it. I told him if anything else happens whether he did it or not, he would be leaving the premises on a stretcher. This time after the coffee thing, I let it go. I prayed for whomever did this. I announced to several friends that I would be praying for the person who did it. I wanted to get the word out. Hopefully the culprit heard and is feeling 10 inches tall.

Old 08-06-2005, 01:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
reggiek- sorry to hear, ive had similar cases myself and I know that feeling. The
damage wasn't too bad, but the feeling hurt pretty bad.

I don't have time to give to stupid poor people so just leased a cheap-*** car
to go to work and to run errands. it only takes one dumbass to ruin the day...
now, he/she can't. and it only takes $5/day. $5 is like one cup of Starbucks.

Old 08-06-2005, 02:05 PM
Widdle ya into kindling
What is wrong with people. That sucks. I hope they find out who did it and prosecute or that Karma gets the best of them. Maybe they will learn a lesson.

Keep us posted on the investigation.

Old 08-06-2005, 02:17 PM
Sorry to hear about this, Personally I think camera's everywhere are a good idea, I don't have anything to hide, and it cetainly would catch crap like this as it goes down.

Old 08-06-2005, 03:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Too bad that happened to you. I cant imagine posting like you did if that happened to me. I'd be in rage! Hope everything turns out fine and well, let us know when the catch the bast@rds.

Old 08-06-2005, 06:52 PM
i feel ya, my car was keyed the other day