G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

OEM Rear Spoiler Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM Rear Spoiler Install

After delivery on my '05 coupe, I purchased a OEM spoiler from my dealer. After they install the spoiler, I hear a bunch of shavings in the trunk lid every time I open the trunk. The tech explains that the shavings will work into the crevice within the spoiler. It's been 2 months and its driving me crazy everytime I open/close the trunk.
It this normal or a lame excuse?

Old 08-06-2005, 11:12 PM
Premier Dough Slapper
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nothing you or they could have done to prevenet the shavings from getting where they are, well OK not true... Once the holes were drilled on, the dealer could have removed the trunk lid and shaked the hell out of it (upside down) and get most of the shavings out, but that obvioulsy takes more time and more work, so its not something they want to do. The noise bothers some, while others could care less. True over time the shaving sounds does seem to go away, but it will never 100% go away, so my suggestion is to go back to the dealer and tell them the info and advice I gave you and see if they can help ya out. One thing though, once that wing gets laid down (with all that 3M tape) its not easy to remove without damaging the trunk lid itself, so that may be an issue they might throw backl at ya, but in that case, just say do whatever it takes and if they damage the trunk, well then they'll just have to get you a new one. Hold your ground and BE FIRM, otherwise just deal with the shaving sounds....

FYI: The holes they drilled in your trunk lid, and they're like 10 of them are almost the size of a quarter! YES that big! Crazy if you ask me, but they ise these special snap-in clips that actually hold the wing in place, while only like 3 real bolts (and the 3M tape) hold it down....

Old 08-07-2005, 01:44 AM
My car came with the factory installed spoiler and I have shavings dropping out all the time. It sounds like sand in the trunk lid. I sometimes find large chunks of shavings in the trunk. Just be careful it doesn't scratch your paint.

Old 08-07-2005, 09:39 AM
I had the same problem. I removed the liner used a hangar to move the shavings around, closed the trunk (not completely) and lightly beat on the trunk with my fist to bring the shavings more toward the rear. Once the shavings appeared to be trapped near the rear badges (inside the lid of course), I started to shake the lid like crazy.. Out come the shavings. They were huge! I informed the service manager and apparently it's pretty common. He said they use magnets to remove the shavings and seemed disturbed that his techs didn't remove the shavings. The dealer should be able to do it. You can actually do it yourself if you're up for the task.