G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Ceramic Tint and Radar Detectors...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 09:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ceramic Tint and Radar Detectors...

I know that tint affects the sensitivity of Radar Detectors, especially metallic tint or really dark dyed tints. Does anyone know if ceramic tints will affect them as well? Has anyone heard of or installed Huper Optik tint?

Thanks for all your help guys....

Old 08-18-2005, 12:37 PM
FGC General Member
they might affect radar but cops dont use radar....lol they use lasers now and theres no real point of getting a radar dector either...the radar cant pick up laser and if it does its already to late....just dont drive fast.

Old 08-18-2005, 01:34 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Supposedly ceramic tint will not interfere with electronic devices such as SAT radio, GPS NAV signal, or radar detectors. My coupe has the Huper Optic tint installed, and I have Valentine 1 radar detector, blue tooth cellphone and factory NAV. Everything works perfectly fine with the ceramic tint.

Huper Optic is nice, not too flashy and block out the heat very well. That being said, it's probably one of the most expensive tinting options out there. I would suggest that you look into newer alternatives that are much cheaper. There are now charcol tints available for half the price of Huper Optic ceramic products. Down side of the charcol tint is that it doesn't block off heat as good as the ceramic or metal, but I think it's well worth the $$$.

Old 08-18-2005, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

CrazyG35 --- yeah cops do use laser alot now, but the majority of the time they still use radar. The problem with the laser is that it is relatively short range...they need to be with 100-150 feet...reason for this being that the laser beam that is emmited has to be reflected back to point of origin, the greater the distance harder it is for an accurate reflection. [at least that's what ive read]. The radar on the other hand is effective for a greater range and thats why they tend to use them a little more than laser.

Sukairain --- how much did you pay for your Huper Optik tints?

Old 08-18-2005, 04:33 PM
FGC General Member
yes that is very true but here locally in clearwater florida my father is a police officer for Largo police dep. and they have a new laser that is called pop charger....the new radar dectors claim they can detect them but they have much longer range now.....and alot of the new cars have front and rear mounted radar in the bumbers of their cars.

Old 08-18-2005, 05:02 PM
All the new dectectors detect POP. Check the Valentine site- POP is almost always thrown out because of the inherent inaccuracy.

Old 08-18-2005, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by crazyg35coupe
they might affect radar but cops dont use radar....lol they use lasers now and theres no real point of getting a radar dector either...the radar cant pick up laser and if it does its already to late....just dont drive fast.
I disagree; you do want to use a good radar detector with laser alert... I don't drive fast all the time but when I do, I know where the cops are because I have already been clocked in those places; I know all of the places they sit on the routes I drive because of my detector, so I drive like hell when I want to in the places I know they don't sit!

Don't rely on the equipment too much, rely on your intellect.

Last edited by htownboy; 08-18-2005 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:46 PM
I'll add my 2 cents.

Ceramic is a non metallic tint, and won't affect radar, GPS, or AM radio. In terms of tint, there is color safe dyed, metal, hybrid, and ceramic. I ended up going with a dyed tint (with a lifetime warrenty of course), since I didn't want to blow an extra 200 for ceramic. No matter what tint you use, laser detection will be hindered, since less light will be coming through. Radar detectors work differently and from what I understand, the glass itself plays a larger role in reducing the radar's effectiveness than the tint does. However, laser detection sucks for most detectors in general since lasers are inherently focused, hence less scatter and less random laser light being picked up by your detector. The radar is more reflective off of surfaces and scatters a lot more which is why it is picked up a lot better than laser. If you read valentine one's site they explain a bit about laser performance with tint. I know Madico ProLine tint does not affect electronic devices and they clearly state it on their site. Also, laser needs to be used from a stationary target, so a moving cop car that's pinging you will be using radar. If you're looking for Ceramic Formula One Pinnacle or Huper are pretty much your only options, though I think their only advantage over Madico's ProLine Charcool is heat rejection. Hope that helps a bit.

Old 08-18-2005, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by crazyg35coupe
That isn't always correct. A cop has to be within a set range for his laser gun to work. If you are just out of the range, and he's trying to hit you, there's a good possibility that you are far enough away that the beam he's shooting won't return to his gun and give him your speed. While all of this is going on, your radar/laser detector will still alert you of the laser signal, even though they aren't getting sent back to the piggy's gun.

Old 08-19-2005, 07:56 AM
Banned
Old 08-20-2005, 03:15 PM
BTW: POP is illegal to use as a measure for ticketing... POP can only be used to estimate if someone is speeding, but a secondary measure must be taken using standard band radar. Second: POP is not a laser tech but a radar tech. Read up on it at V1's site.

As to the original question, no cermics won't block RF signals at all. BUT - they are purportedly a biotch to get on the car right... the Huper is about 2x thicker than standard film... get an installer that knows it intimately and will back up their work with a gurantee!