G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Crackling/Squeaking coming from roof...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 09:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Crackling/Squeaking coming from roof...

Hey guys, I drive a 05 6MT. Lately when I've been backing out of my driveway (I have the little dip going into/out of my driveway) I've been hearing this crackling/squeaking sound coming from my roof. I think that its coming from the sun roof but I'm no 100% sure. I took it to the dealer, but they weren't able to "hear" it so they said to come back when it gets worst... Any of you guys going through this same issue? or.... am I just the unlucky one... :P

Old 08-30-2005, 09:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have that sound also, but only if i left the cover open ! with its close there is no sound

Old 08-30-2005, 09:35 PM
Hey, I just tried that out. Same thing for me. The sound is there when the cover is open, but gone when the cover is closed. Is this something I should worry about?

Old 08-30-2005, 10:16 PM
###

Last edited by mykmar10; 08-30-2005 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:24 PM
I believe there is a TSB on sunroof noise. Check into it and it may be the problem you are having.

Old 08-30-2005, 10:45 PM
Your dealer must be a bunch of retards. This is one of the most common TSB's next to the gas filling difficulty. I would reccomend addressing both to your dealer so you can get both over with.

Allthough the squeeking one can be fixed by yourself very easily if you wanted to with some grease..

Old 08-30-2005, 11:18 PM
please dont bash me for asking this... but what does "TSB" stand for?

Old 08-31-2005, 11:14 AM
i guess its for "technical service buletin", it's a note sent to dealer to deal with common problem. If the problem involve securety they will release a "recall", if it only a complain it's a "TSB"

My english is not excellent, hope you understand. There is a link to all the G35 TSB on this forum.

Old 09-01-2005, 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by ericsherbrooke
i guess its for "technical service buletin", it's a note sent to dealer to deal with common problem. If the problem involve securety they will release a "recall", if it only a complain it's a "TSB"

My english is not excellent, hope you understand. There is a link to all the G35 TSB on this forum.
Thanks!!

Old 09-01-2005, 08:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the problem i find with tsb's is that sometimes they only reflect the 03/04 models and not the 05. case in point... a few months ago my seat felt like it was shifting on my when i braked and accelerated hard.. there's a tsb on it but the dealer refused to fix it stating the tsb is not valid for 05's stating that problem had already been corrected in my model by the manufacturer. i had to complain 2 more times before they took me seriously and fixed the damn thing. the problem is now gone. here's the link to the tsb section btw: https://g35driver.com/forums/tsb-technical-bulletins-12/
to date there is only (i believe) 1 whopping tsb for the 05's. i think it's electrical in nature or something. sometimes it's not as simple as stuffing the tsb note down the tech's throat (although i wish it was). just wanted to point that out. cheers all.

Old 09-01-2005, 12:22 PM
Guys, trust me on this one. I had this problem on my '03 and I expect it will happen on my '05 as well. Right around the 10k mile mark I began having the same noise you are discribing. Mine sounded like a popping noise when the frame flexs. Well, thats sort of exactly what it is. I fixed the problem myself. Its the bolts that hold the sunroof frame to the roof. You have to lower the headliner a little to get to the bolts, but after I cranked them down, the popping noise went away completely. They are just not snug enough from the factory and loosen more over time resulting in the popping noise. The bolts are located just to the left and right front of the sunroof and are hard to miss once the headliner is out of your way.

Old 09-01-2005, 12:38 PM
Renegar,
Thanks for the tip!

I found headliner removal instructions and posted them below.

Pulled off the a-pillar (just pull, hard) which allowed me to pull the roof liner down slightly. It's made of quite tough plastic and so I simply added some weatherstripping to the inside of the lining and bent 1-2mm of it (barely enough to stick) over the edge of the liner. When I put it back it's now comfy weatherstripping foam vs windshield instead of tappity-tappity-tap roofliner vs windshield. I also took this oppotunity to wrap the wires that go thru the a-pillar as these rattled occasionally too. I'm going to do something similar with anything in the b-pillar sometime soon. It's really very easy and much less hassle than asking the dealer to figure it out...

Jase aka Doogie
04 G35S

the a-pillars are the vertical pillars of the car on either side of the windshield, at the front.. B-pillars are the ones in the middle which house seatbelts etc, c-pillars are either side of the rear window etc.

heres what my printout states: "sunroof loose at A pillar rt frt tightened up sunroof rail mounting points." needless to say, im very happy. this was at discover infiniti in san diego, ca.

Let me add a quick shout-out to the tech from Tustin Infiniti (Ron). This guys knows the G inside and out. I was very impressed with his knowledge and patience. It went a long way toward restoring my faith in Infiniti.

Same here. I put some foam right between the edge of the headliner in the back and that stopped the rattle.

Last edited by blksnake; 09-01-2005 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Howcome mine sounds like its coming from there but reall sounds like the chasis is bending (metal creaking twisting sound) when going sideways on deep driveways...

Old 09-01-2005, 10:11 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The sunroof creaking noise TSB is only valid on the 03-04 G35s because 05 G35s have a felt-type weather strip instead of the rubber liner. As far as I know the 03-04 rubber weather strip is what causes squeaking noise but it does not apply to the 05. (sounds like 05 owners are describing a popping noise rather than a squeaking noise)

Old 09-01-2005, 11:56 PM
Originally Posted by giddyup69
the problem i find with tsb's is that sometimes they only reflect the 03/04 models and not the 05. case in point... a few months ago my seat felt like it was shifting on my when i braked and accelerated hard.. there's a tsb on it but the dealer refused to fix it stating the tsb is not valid for 05's stating that problem had already been corrected in my model by the manufacturer. i had to complain 2 more times before they took me seriously and fixed the damn thing. the problem is now gone. here's the link to the tsb section btw: https://g35driver.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12
to date there is only (i believe) 1 whopping tsb for the 05's. i think it's electrical in nature or something. sometimes it's not as simple as stuffing the tsb note down the tech's throat (although i wish it was). just wanted to point that out. cheers all.
hey when your seat shifted.. did it feel like the seat was shifting from side to side? i think my seat shifts when i take hard turns