G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

fog lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2002, 11:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fog lights

infinit.com list fog lights as standard on the G35C. Where are they located? in the headlight casing?

Old 12-09-2002, 02:58 PM
Re: fog lights

How can Infinity justify the placement of the fog lamps? Aren't they a bit high?? I guess they must work if Infinity chose to put them there. Has anyone tested them in the fog?

Old 12-09-2002, 03:57 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

just go to ebay and search for Nokya Hyper white or Nokya Arctic White, they are H4 Halogen bulbs that have a really nice blue tint to it, i have a set in my current car (v6 camry) and they look really nice, Nokya makes the best aftermarket halogen blue bulbs i've come across, trust me they look dam good for only $15~20 for a set and takes 5 minutes to install, depending on the car, my G35c doesnt till March so i dont know how long it will take to install these bulbs on it...... i will post pics once this happens.....
any questions just msg me

Old 12-09-2002, 07:18 PM

The blue bulbs cause more reflection and the blue color while looking neat to the owner is annoying to other motorists. Red and blue are at the opposite ends of the color spectrum. Red is the best for not impairing night vision.

For true bright white (matches the HID) look for bulb from a major light company in the 4000K degree range. Sylvania Silver Stars are excellent and cheaper than the equivilant from PIAA. It is not worth spending all that time to put in cheap bulbs that have to be replaced in less than half the time.

Higher Kelvin number don't give more and infact give less lumens.

There are some good posts on light around these forums. don't settle for the less bright blue kiddy lights.

Old 12-10-2002, 01:27 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

now if you wanna spend > $500 per "fog" light bulb thats just fine and go right ahead...now red bulbs in the front are illegal in all states because it can be mistaken for police lights...happened to a friend's brother. the nokya bulbs are pretty dam close to HID if you ask me, and for $15 you cant lose, even if they last for only a year, real HID's are $500 and last longer of course but you never know exactly how long.
...one of my favorite movies quotes from Scarface goes somethin like this, "what'd i need fog lights for, am i drivin thru a ***$%en swamp?"

Old 12-10-2002, 08:46 PM

Silver Stars and PIAAs are from $50 to $80 a pair. If you read carefully you will see I did not suggest red lights. I said red and blue are opposite ends of the light color spectrum. Since red is the least night vision impairing, blue is the most. White is in between. The HID are white - not blue.

Other drivers will flash you with the fogs on beause there are four lights burning and they assume they are your brights.

If you want to go more yellow you can get the PIAA yellow Ion bulbs; but then your brights would be yellow also.

The Sylvania Silver Stars can be bought for $25 each, Osram/Sylvania is one of the two largest manufacturers of headlights in the world. Their bulbs should last over three years. All for only $10 more than the cheaper ones, and in fact are less expensive in the long run.
Greg

Old 12-11-2002, 01:56 AM

I just drove thourgh some think fog on hwy 280 enroute to San Fran.... let's just say that I'm glad I had the fog lights since the HIDs were so white it produced a smoke-screen effect on the fog.... I shudder to think what it would've looked like with white fog lights.... maybe it's better to keep the fog lights the way they are.... but if you're really into looks, someone in the forum used PIAA plasma spark blue bulbs, and they looked absolutely gorgeous......

Old 12-11-2002, 11:00 PM

True yellow fogs do produce a less bright reflection back from the water vapor in the fog than do white lights. Those "gorgeous" blue lights would even be even worse in the fog and are more annoying (to other drivers) in any weather.
The brighter fogs might not be as bad as one would think. Much of a fogs ability to light without too much reflection is a result of the lens design and the cut off of the light beam in an upward direction. Even yellow shined too high would reflect back but not as brightly as the whites.
Greg

Old 12-12-2002, 12:03 PM

Every time I have seen anyone install those aftermarket high wattage bulbs they burn out their wiring harness. Leave it the way it is. The design team at Infiniti know what they are doing, if the car was meant to have anything else in the lamp socket it would. But trust me if you do have aftermarket whites/blues you will fry the harness. I've seen it a hundred times. Oh by the way a new engine harness is $599.60 retail!
-Joe

Old 12-12-2002, 12:26 PM

I agree with your concern about the high wattage bulbs, that is one of the benefit of staying with Sylvania.
they are not high wattage.