G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Last time I will have SEARS install tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 01:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last time I will have SEARS install tires

I went to Sears auto center to have my tires installed. Brought my own tires just OE replacements (but i went with the nitto 555). They had the most reasonable price and assured me that they have worked on infinitis with TPS. I don't think that its part of their policy to have the customer drive their own vehicle onto the lifts. I did because i was pretty much the only car to work on, and they were closing in half an hour. I wanted to be in an out so i pulled up no problem. They took only 15 minutes to mount and balance the tires. Again they had me move my own car, this time backing out of the lifts. As i back out it feels like the car gets caught/snagged. There was a clank of metal, i assumed it was just the ramps. The two guys servicing my car look at me and said " its ok just keep backing up". I left not thinking anything other than i wanted to get home to wash off my rims and shine up the tires. After washing i pulled my car into the garage, and notice 2 scrapes coming from under the bumper working up . I was pissed. So thats what snagged when i was on the lift. The workers knew this and still sent me off like nothing. I should've inspected it first off, I know, but damn. So I call and call, no answer cuz theyre closed. I went into the dept store and talked to a manager that knew the manager of the auto center. She gave me a number and name to the Auto center manager. I am going back tomorrow morning first thing. Sorry to vent. What do you guys think that they could do to compensate? I would love a new front bumper cover of course, but doubt that will happen. We'll see if insurance will have to be brought into this. Here are pics of what happened.

Attached Thumbnails Last time I will have SEARS install tires-scrape1..jpg   Last time I will have SEARS install tires-scrape2..jpg   Last time I will have SEARS install tires-scrape3..jpg  
Old 09-08-2005, 01:32 AM
mc2
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
wow.. i hope it will be okay since you did drive the car up an ddown yourself...

Old 09-08-2005, 01:53 AM
wow those are pretty intense damages.

Old 09-08-2005, 01:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow . . . Good luck!

Old 09-08-2005, 03:20 AM
install an oem front lip. It should cover up the damage nicely. $300. Comes painted.

I don't know if they will do anything for you. If I were you I wouldn't loss any steam! Be firm with them. The fact that you were driving the car should have no bearing on they're decision. I'm sure they have insurance for this.

Good Luck!

Old 09-08-2005, 04:51 AM
Because of all these horror stories, I had a local Discount Tire just mount and balance the tires. I installed them myself (it's better to hand torque anyways).

Old 09-08-2005, 07:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should make them atleast pay enough to get yourself an OEM front Lip. That'll cover thos damages right ip except for those spot by the air damm. Is that also part of the damage?

Old 09-08-2005, 07:41 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
That sucks man , but why ????? why Sears ???? the most reasonable deal ??? You get what you pay for.
Hope you get them to cover it. Good luck.

Old 09-08-2005, 07:55 AM
I would think the employee who had you drive your car on and off the lift violated some policy, and they would be liable.
I had a similar situation a few years ago where they balanced my new tires on an out of spec balancing machine, and damaged my 300ZX by jacking it up under the fender instead of the lift point.
It took a letter to the home office, and a few phone calls later, I had a check in hand for the repairs, and a credit to my account for the new tires because of all the trouble.

Good luck!

Old 09-08-2005, 08:57 AM
I hate to say it but there is no way you are going to get them to pay for the damages. YOU drove off the lift yourself. It was your responsibility to check for clearance. Anyways, just buy an OEM lip and it will cover up the damages and make your car look a lot better. You can just think of it as a "forced" upgrade.

Old 09-08-2005, 09:14 AM
was it the sears in paramus? that place blows.

Old 09-08-2005, 09:39 AM
I went with Sears because they assured me that they had worked on infinitis with the TPS on the rim. Everybody and i mean EVERYBODY ( Discount Tires; BIG O Tires; Express Tires; Evans Tire; Etc.) Were charging me about $10-$25 extra per tire, just for having TPS. The highest qoute i got was from Discount Tires off of Genessee, they qouted me $175. Sears charged me $95.00. I used to bring my 2 previous cars to Sears, and never was i the one to have to drive my car up and off the ramps. I hope that they can do something for me, cuz this really blows. Even though I was the one to drive up and off the lift, they clearly saw what had happened when i was backing out, and still sent me on my way without saying anything. I think thats very shady and unprofessional. We'll see, I am on my way there this morning to see what they have to say. Thanks all for yer .02 cents, I will keep you posted.

Old 09-08-2005, 10:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by totondee77
I went with Sears because they assured me that they had worked on infinitis with the TPS on the rim. Everybody and i mean EVERYBODY ( Discount Tires; BIG O Tires; Express Tires; Evans Tire; Etc.) Were charging me about $10-$25 extra per tire, just for having TPS. The highest qoute i got was from Discount Tires off of Genessee, they qouted me $175. Sears charged me $95.00. I used to bring my 2 previous cars to Sears, and never was i the one to have to drive my car up and off the ramps. I hope that they can do something for me, cuz this really blows. Even though I was the one to drive up and off the lift, they clearly saw what had happened when i was backing out, and still sent me on my way without saying anything. I think thats very shady and unprofessional. We'll see, I am on my way there this morning to see what they have to say. Thanks all for yer .02 cents, I will keep you posted.
You live and learn I guess. Sometimes the hard way. I would never bring my car to Sears, Walmart or any place like that even if they did it for free. I could train a monkey to do a better job than some of these idiots. They simply don't care.

I bet your wheels are overtorqued, overinflated and probably not balanced correctly. Do they have the HUNTER balancer? If not take your wheels to shop that has it and re-balance it and you'll see what I mean.

Old 09-09-2005, 10:56 PM
oh man....please don't take your car to SEARs autocenter or WALMART or any of those supermarket drive-thru centers for your service......alot of times they have new kids who just got a job as a mechanics work there....

Old 09-10-2005, 08:51 AM
ok With my being around cars my whole life in order for that to happen you had to go up a drive on lift usually used for oil changes now how did they change your tires unless they had the rolling jacks on. a twin post could never do that unless the legs were left under in which case they would be partially responsible o ther than that they will probably tell you that they wont help you this is the reason why all shops have the customers beyond this point signs

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Last time I will have SEARS install tires