G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

$776 for 30k mile service. Did I get ripped off??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 02:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverII
Isn't our fuel filter is for life?
Yes I double checked to make sure. In the service manual, there is an asterisk next to this maintence item, and it is listed as being "in-tank", and a "maintenance-free" item.

Old 09-09-2005, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ditto on the 'clean antenna mast'

sorry to get a laugh from your misfortune. Thats alot of $$$ for a oil change and fluid change (not even a flush)

Oil additive? ummmm, huh?

Old 10-04-2005, 10:33 PM
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but my 30k services is scheduled for tomorrow. What i'm thinking is to just do a standard oil change.. is all that other stuff really necessary? I can look at the list and cross off what I dont' need, but I honestly don't really know what I need and what I dont' need. There are a few things that I know for sure I dont need such as cleaning antenna mast, balance tires, inspect exhaust system, road test??, rotate tires, inspect front and rear brakes, etc. What about all that other stuff? Someone respond quick! i don't want to have to reschedule the appointment..

Old 10-04-2005, 10:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes, other stuff is necessary. engine coolant, differential and tranny fluid are important. All three of those looked very ugly when I drained them. Especially the first 30k service is important to do the tranny/diff fluid.

In cabin microfilter actually makes a pretty big difference.

You can do the in cabin filter yourself in 10 minutes, diff fluid and tranny fluid are both easy to do yourself if you buy a cheap o hand pump. PM me if you are interested in DIY instructions play by play. Probably an hour all told including jacking the car up.

engine coolant cannot be completely drained and filled without a special "burping " tool. You CAN do this yourself, but it is a little more complicated and takes some hose disconnecting and reconnecting.

If you know what you are looking at I see no need to pay for all those frivolous inspections. eyeball your brakes, belt, hoses etc once a year or so and that is basically all they do (they might put a belt tension meter on your drive belt, but you can get the same idea by sticking an index finger on the longest section of belt between pulleys)

So, to sum up, I recommend you ask the dealer specifically to do the tranny fluid, diff fluid, engine coolant and microfilter if you do take it in for the service. It will probably cost you 200-300 bucks for that stuff depending on the price of the fluids. I did all those myself for around 75 bucks in fluids (I bought enough for two services at the same time) and 26.25 for the microfilter. A dealer will charge you 80 bucks just to change the microfilter.

Old 10-04-2005, 11:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to Nissan. Oil change $26.00. 30k mile service $300 and something. Had my oil done there monday, and I ask them about the 30K service, and I was told a little over $300. I'm only at 23K now, but when it's time, I'll be at Nissan.

Last edited by HipHopPro; 10-04-2005 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:39 AM
thanks guys. I've narrowed it down to a few things: engine oil, oil filter, differential oil, Manual transmission oil, and engine coolant. Since I have a cold air intake, the cabin microilter is pointless correct? I plan on cleaning the filter myself so that shold take care of the microfilter. All the other "visual" inspections seems to be pointless. This should cost about $50 compared to the $550 i was told. Any feedback?

Old 10-05-2005, 02:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I brought my coupe into the dealer for warranty work at 6800 miles and the dealer offered the 7500 mile service for $170, which I refused and he noted in my file.

When I looked at his 7500-mile checklist, it was all BS...inspect this and that (most of which I know is working properly), and a lot of stuff that didn't apply like rotate tires, etc. I'd like to get on record for some sort of 7500 mile checkup, but the 7500 maintenance is pretty lame and unnecessary to begin with.

Old 10-05-2005, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by Rookie84
Here is the complete service list:

Balance and rotate tires
I'd just like to know how they justify this charge? The only way is if they dismounted them and swapped them left to right and right to left. (not worth the money)

Never go in and just say you want the xxxxx mile service. Always have a list of what you want done otherwise you get a bunch of BS mainenance.

Old 10-05-2005, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by imalazeeass
thanks guys. I've narrowed it down to a few things: engine oil, oil filter, differential oil, Manual transmission oil, and engine coolant. Since I have a cold air intake, the cabin microilter is pointless correct? I plan on cleaning the filter myself so that shold take care of the microfilter. All the other "visual" inspections seems to be pointless. This should cost about $50 compared to the $550 i was told. Any feedback?

Micro filter is not your CAI.... it is your A/C in-cabin filter

Old 10-05-2005, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by Bluestreak
What did they do besides change the oil? And how much of it was really necessary? Guess I could look in the service journal, but I'm not sure where I put it. I also have an '03 CB/willow, and just broke 30K last week. Brembos were done 2K ago. The car is running great, and I have no desire to have them do anything but change the oil. Am I missing something???

Prior to my G, I had a 2000 528i (the G is sooo much more fun), and one thing I have to give BMW: annual (synthetic) oil changes, and other than that, (assuming you took care of your own tires), there was none of these bogus service interval cash cows.

Guys, let me know if I'm inviting disaster by not letting Infiniti have it's way with my baby when I bring it in soon...
Bluestreak did you post on roadfly?

Old 10-05-2005, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by Rookie84
Here is the complete service list:

Install motor oil additive
Replace oil drain plug
Throttle chamber service
Set basic idle speed
Service battery
Inspect ignition wires
Clean battery terminals
Replace fuel filter
Engine decarbon
Replace Trans fluid
Lube door hinges & locks
Replace wiper inserts
Visual alignment insp.
Balance and rotate tires
Check tire pressure
Inspect headlamp oper.
Inspect all bulbs
Inspect drive belts
Replace air cleaner filter
Inspect vapor lines
Replace engine coolant
Replace engine oil filter
Inspect exhaust system
Insp steer gear-axle susp
Insp brake lines&cables
Insp brake pads&discs
replace diff oil
insp auto/manl trans oil
inspect battery electroly
clean antenna mast

Parts:

antifreeze-long lif
fuel injector cleaner
oil additive
washer drain
oil filter
in-cabin air filter
packing-drain ****(???)
wiper blades
diff oil
non-chlorinated brake(??)
wnshld washer solvent
trans oil
systhetic engine oil

I guess 90% of those things weren't necessary... Next time I'm due for a service, I guess I'll just get the list of things they do and get only things that are needed from a local shop that I can trust... Well, lesson learned the expensive way.
wow that is one long list. I have the exact same car as u. And I have 29.5K miles currently. I'm replacing my break pads and fixing the rotors myself next week. Then getting new tires and alignment. Then i will go to infiniti and ask them for an estimate on 30K maintenance.

Is the list of things that they do on 30K like standard for all, or is it something they come up with after inspecting the car. Couz what i would like to do is get that list post it up here and u all will tell me what do i really need and what are they trying to rip me off with.

Old 10-05-2005, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by P_Diddy
I brought my coupe into the dealer for warranty work at 6800 miles and the dealer offered the 7500 mile service for $170, which I refused and he noted in my file.

When I looked at his 7500-mile checklist, it was all BS...inspect this and that (most of which I know is working properly), and a lot of stuff that didn't apply like rotate tires, etc. I'd like to get on record for some sort of 7500 mile checkup, but the 7500 maintenance is pretty lame and unnecessary to begin with.

where can i get those lists from
i need the one for 30K so i can compare it with what they will tell me when i go in 2 weeks.

thanks

Old 10-05-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by P_Diddy

where can i get those lists from
i need the one for 30K so i can compare it with what they will tell me when i go in 2 weeks.

thanks

Old 10-05-2005, 02:50 PM
blueskyline in the black pouch you got when u bought the car there is a maintenance guide. It gives you what can be done during the services. They won't even inspect your car they will flat out give you the price for doing everything on your car.. which in my case..was $550. So i went over the list and narrowed it down to what I posted earlier. There are some things worth looking over though like your brakes and stuff.. but I just recently installed a BBK so that would be pointless for me. Balancing of the tires? I honestly do not trust them doing that. Replace wiper inserts? Well mine are working fine. Just go over the huge list earlier in the post and check off only the things you really need. The list for 30k is almost identical to what the guy posted so just use that.

Old 10-05-2005, 02:59 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
**** man! They forgot to refill the headlight fluid and tighen your muffler rod. I'd go back and complain

BTW...you got ripped

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: $776 for 30k mile service. Did I get ripped off??