G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

05 6mt dies

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 08:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 6mt dies

one day last week i was driving at about 80mph on the highway and i was coming up to a sharp turn so i took it out of gear and was about to downshift when i noticed my car had died .. i had to struggle through the turn b/c the steering and everything went out... i thought maybe i wasnt paying attention and somehow stalled out b/c my radio was loud but the same thing has happened to me twice since then ... the car just dies when i take it out of gear... i never heard of this happening to ne body..... does ne one else have this problem or know what it could be

Old 09-08-2005, 08:52 PM
It's your intake. I had the same problem when I first got my Injen intake. If you're going over 60mph, and you take the load off the engine (taking it out of gear or pushing the clutch until the RPM fall down to idle), the car will stall. At least that was the case with mine. I got a heatshield and put it over my filter so direct air wasn't hitting it. My problem is now solved.

Originally Posted by rdurkin05g35
one day last week i was driving at about 80mph on the highway and i was coming up to a sharp turn so i took it out of gear and was about to downshift when i noticed my car had died .. i had to struggle through the turn b/c the steering and everything went out... i thought maybe i wasnt paying attention and somehow stalled out b/c my radio was loud but the same thing has happened to me twice since then ... the car just dies when i take it out of gear... i never heard of this happening to ne body..... does ne one else have this problem or know what it could be

Old 09-08-2005, 09:24 PM
ok... can someone pls explain that one. i'm not questioning whether you're telling the truth, just curious as to why that happens and how having a heat shield helps.

Old 09-08-2005, 09:45 PM
This has happened to ppl w/ Injen intakes in the past. Turbulent air at high speeds caused the car to do exactly what you described. I am not saying this is the reason for your problem though. I never heard of this happening w/ a PC.

Old 09-08-2005, 10:33 PM
Evil Bastard
an "easy" way to test this:

replace intake with stock.

test conditions.

if repeats, leave stock on, and take it to the dealership. If non-repeatable, try above mentioned remedy.

good luck in any case.

Old 09-08-2005, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by sansin
ok... can someone pls explain that one. i'm not questioning whether you're telling the truth, just curious as to why that happens and how having a heat shield helps.
As it was explained to me by Injen, when the load is taken off the engine above 60MPH, there is too much turbulent aren't getting to the MAF so the engine simply stalls. I tested this theory and it worked 100% of the time. I bought a heatshield from Injen and it blocks the filter from being hit directly by outside air. Thus solving the problem of too much turbulent air hitting the filter. Take a look at my pic and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Old 09-09-2005, 12:06 AM
just wondering ... I have the z tube and stillen air box left over from my 03 AT G, will be putting it in soon, can something like the injen stalling issue happen? has it happened to somebody with that setup ?

Old 09-09-2005, 12:23 AM
Wouldn't blocking the airflow like that negate the little gains you got initially?

Last edited by Pwoz; 09-09-2005 at 12:30 AM. Reason: I wish I could spell stuff correctly the first time around.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:27 AM
Originally Posted by Pwoz
Wouldn't blocking the airflow like that negate the little gains you got intially?
Yeah, I thought about that... But I didn't really buy the intake to get any HP out of it, as I understand the stock unit is about as good as it gets. I bought it because I wanted more sound. And go figure... My gas mileage improved after getting the intake.

Old 09-09-2005, 08:38 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by G35Gnome
just wondering ... I have the z tube and stillen air box left over from my 03 AT G, will be putting it in soon, can something like the injen stalling issue happen? has it happened to somebody with that setup ?
I have the Stillen and z tube setup for some time now and I don't have any problems with it.

Old 09-09-2005, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by glennp_1999
I have the Stillen and z tube setup for some time now and I don't have any problems with it.
Same here. Have had the Stillen and Z-Tube for about 2500 miles on now and have had no problems.

Old 09-09-2005, 02:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive never had this issue with my injen

Old 09-09-2005, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by borahatch
It's your intake. I had the same problem when I first got my Injen intake. If you're going over 60mph, and you take the load off the engine (taking it out of gear or pushing the clutch until the RPM fall down to idle), the car will stall. At least that was the case with mine. I got a heatshield and put it over my filter so direct air wasn't hitting it. My problem is now solved.

Is this problem with the Injen, predominately with the MT? Has anyone experienced it with an AT?

Old 09-09-2005, 03:15 PM
Do all of the intakes give better gas mileage or just the Injen? If so, I need it! LOL!

Old 09-09-2005, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by SWAT311
Is this problem with the Injen, predominately with the MT? Has anyone experienced it with an AT?
This is not limited to just the Injen intake. I've heard of a few others with pretty much every possible aftermarket intake having some problems. It doesn't happen to all G/Zs but so far, as far as I've heard, it's limited to the 6MTs only.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 05 6mt dies