G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G with many problems..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 12:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G with many problems..

I picked up my G in October of 2004 with 8200 miles on it. I got an extended warranty (7 years from that date). Well now it is September 2005 and I am not happy with the car. Well that statement is not completely true, but I am very unhappy with the problems this car has had.

1. Transmission issues: Third gear does not engage properly some times. It randomly forces itself out of gear. This occasionally will happen with 2nd gear as well.

2. Rattles. I know this car is notorious for rattles but if i paid 30K+ for a car, it should not rattle to the extent that my car does.

3. Battery issues. My battery has died 3 times randomly, luckily I've been at home all of the three times. I've called roadside assistance all of the times and they've fixed the issues.

4. Right power window, this is what drove me over the edge. The power window will conveniently get stuck when the window is down and not go up. I lightly slammed on the door, and it "lodges" the window back in place so it rolls up. I don't have time to keep on dropping the car off at the dealer which is 30 min away so I've just locked the window until the next time I am there.

5. (resolved issues) Interior lights went out 2x. When I pushed lock on the fob, the gas tank would pop open and stay open. It wouldn't lock. They (Major Infiniti) kept my car for 5 days and put50 miles on it, and also didn't refill the gas that they used.

For a near 40K car, I think these issues are unacceptable. I really enjoy driving this car, and from what I've read over the last year or so, not many people have had so many issues. Maybe all these little quirks are what drove the previous owner to sell the car at 8200 miles.

ANY IDEAS on what to do?

Any help is appreciated.

Old 09-11-2005, 12:49 AM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Maybe you got a lemon?

Old 09-11-2005, 12:51 AM
gtr proto test driver
Originally Posted by chilibowl
Maybe you got a lemon?
yea sounds like it

Old 09-11-2005, 01:51 AM
mc2
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think if the dealership is unwilling to help you with your problem.. Speak with corporate infiniti. Be sure you document everything you have done and everystep you have taken to try to resolve the problem. Keep track of all names, dates and times. If corporate cannot help, then speak to a lawyer probably.

Old 09-11-2005, 02:01 AM
I don't think those problems could nearly come close to be considered a "lemon". The only problems I have heard of happening are the transmission problems on the 6MTs. Maybe try a different dealer and ask them about your problems. Dealers these days will try anything to get out of warranty work.

and since when is this car notorious for rattles?

Old 09-11-2005, 02:16 AM
I've heard a few stories about rattles, and G's are starting to have a bit of a reputation...if it's from the speaker wires in the doors or noises coming from the vents...usually there is some noise coming from somewhere...I don't mind too much though but I have heard strange noises myself...

Old 09-11-2005, 02:18 AM
Yea, I have a 2004 and haven't had any of those problems... well maybe a squeek or rattle here and there but nothing my radio at the lowest settings won't cure.

However I do now have an annoying problem with my tire pressure sensor light coming on randomly and pissing me off...

Old 09-11-2005, 04:43 AM
I have one the oldest G's here (2003 with 67k miles taken delivery in December 2002). I've had the following problems fixed by the dealer:

driver side window readjusted (wind noise)
passenger side window readjusted (creaking)
rear axle re-torqued
transmission replaced
TPS sensor replaced
driver side seatbelt replaced

I also have several rattles more apparent in the winter. Everything was covered under warranty and the car never left me stranded. I still say it's one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned despite it being a first model year car. Even with all that, you would have to pry my keys from my cold, dead hands. Mostly everything you mentioned is common and should be covered under warranty.

Old 09-11-2005, 06:48 AM
Except for the transmisson and the rattles, that sounds like a big electrical problem. Maybe even the transmission, but it's really unlikely.

Did you buy the car private party? is it possible the car was in a street flood or something?

- Jason

Last edited by RunHighPSI; 09-11-2005 at 06:57 AM.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:29 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sell it if you can't get it fixed to your satisfaction.

Old 09-11-2005, 09:14 AM
' ' best answer there

Old 09-11-2005, 09:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JDM 350GT
' ' best answer there
Sounds like that car might have been in an accident before you got it. Quirks like excessive rattling, the window being stuck, and the gas door thingy makes me believe it was hit on the passenger side. Did you che check out that possibility?

Old 09-11-2005, 11:03 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chinee
Sounds like that car might have been in an accident before you got it. Quirks like excessive rattling, the window being stuck, and the gas door thingy makes me believe it was hit on the passenger side. Did you che check out that possibility?
I was just going to say that. The window getting stuck in the door seems like the best indicator that the car may have had a collision on that side. I'll assume you carfax'ed it, which may have come up clean - it still may have been in an accident. Definitely check with an independant mechanic if you haven't already.

Sorry to hear about your disatisfaction. It's a shame when an overall reliable car like the G35 fails to satisfy someone. Definitely call Infiniti corporate and let them know about the issues you mentioned and hopefully they'll help you out.

Old 09-11-2005, 11:51 AM
I've read various posts about G35 problems and I do sympathize. Nobody wants a new car and have to go through getting their cars fixed for any reason, that's one of the benefits that we're supposed to get from having a new car right?
Well with all new cars there will be a percentage of cars from all manufacturers that will have problems. That's just the way it is. I believe the standard of a high percentage of cars with problems for a company is 20% or more and the lower standard is around 10%(These are the better companies like Toyota, Infinity etc.). The percentage for good companies is still fairly high. Fortunately Infinity is one of the best in the industry with reliability. Most of the German cars for 2004/2005 had a lot of problems with their cars. This is BMW, Mercedes, Volvo etc. I was surpriesed to see this. These are companies known for their reliability but now even they are experiencing what many other companies have experienced in the past.
Infinity is amongst the best for reliability. Unfortunately you got one of the cars that had problems. It's part of the industry.

RJG35

Old 09-11-2005, 12:17 PM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
You own a g35 and you dont know how to spell your own car's company? Its Infiniti, not Infinity. Our car is not a speaker.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G with many problems..