G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G with many problems..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have an 05 6mt, 6500 miles, and nothing wrong yet, haven't driven that far yet But no rattles, no problems, a gear grind every great once ina while when power shifting, but other than that, no problems, I love the car and the way it sounds.

Old 09-11-2005, 01:50 PM
I've heard of quite a few people having window motors. Alot of Infiniti dealers have the parts on back order. I have a feeling that this may be an official recall after they can get enough in stock.

Old 09-11-2005, 07:26 PM
I have one of the early version G35 6MT 2003.5, bought new. I may be the exception since I had very few problems. Beside normal recommended maintenance, I had the rear shelve rattle (TSB) fixed under warranty. Tire noise, as a result of feathering, was also a problem which was fixed after I replaced all four after 15K and had the alignment done.

After 2.5 years, my car feels rock solid and I still love it as much as the first day.

Problems on Forums (like G35driver) are very often amplified since members report only when he has issues; when everything is OK, no one reports it. If the G35 was a bad car, it wouldn't be consistently rated in the 10 best residual value and Infiniti rated amongst the most reliable car manufacturers by JD Powers (Lowest recent rating was 8th in 2004 - Note: Nissan was 32nd and Masda was 33rd). Enjoy your G35 - they are good cars...

Old 09-11-2005, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by neal540
I picked up my G in October of 2004 with 8200 miles on it. I got an extended warranty (7 years from that date). Well now it is September 2005 and I am not happy with the car. Well that statement is not completely true, but I am very unhappy with the problems this car has had.

1. Transmission issues: Third gear does not engage properly some times. It randomly forces itself out of gear. This occasionally will happen with 2nd gear as well.

2. Rattles. I know this car is notorious for rattles but if i paid 30K+ for a car, it should not rattle to the extent that my car does.

3. Battery issues. My battery has died 3 times randomly, luckily I've been at home all of the three times. I've called roadside assistance all of the times and they've fixed the issues.

4. Right power window, this is what drove me over the edge. The power window will conveniently get stuck when the window is down and not go up. I lightly slammed on the door, and it "lodges" the window back in place so it rolls up. I don't have time to keep on dropping the car off at the dealer which is 30 min away so I've just locked the window until the next time I am there.

5. (resolved issues) Interior lights went out 2x. When I pushed lock on the fob, the gas tank would pop open and stay open. It wouldn't lock. They (Major Infiniti) kept my car for 5 days and put50 miles on it, and also didn't refill the gas that they used.

For a near 40K car, I think these issues are unacceptable. I really enjoy driving this car, and from what I've read over the last year or so, not many people have had so many issues. Maybe all these little quirks are what drove the previous owner to sell the car at 8200 miles.

ANY IDEAS on what to do?

Any help is appreciated.
Contact the BBB Auto Line, they made Nissan go to arbitration with me earlier this year, in turn Nissan was forced to buy back my 04 Nissan Titan Pick-up. The only problem is that I think it only applies to new cars with the same problem a minimum of 4 times and the first problem must occur within the first 12K miles. Good luck!

Old 09-11-2005, 07:40 PM
mine also G35 rattles,
transmission is bulky and sometimes grind,
today my driver side window got stuck and it wouldn't go up or down.

and I paid 40k off the lot too..
bleh..

piece of crap for 40k...
but then again most of "sports" sedan/coupe has rattle problems well as trasmission plus engine.

EX. BMW M3 early models had engines that would blow up. BMWs rattles too. Their interior pieces are worse than G35s. Back in the days, many owners complained that their M5's (yes M5 $80k) interior piece was pealing.
Acura, TL and TSX even HONDAs have some rattles or wind noises. The old TL and CL had bad automatic transmission as well.

anyhow,
BUT I have a solution for you.

trade it in for LEXUS
its automatic transmission will never let you down. It will not rattle (i am 90% sure it won't). It will save you a lot from the headache.

BTW I have one of the first produced G35 coupe with 50k miles on it.

Old 09-11-2005, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by chilibowl
You own a g35 and you dont know how to spell your own car's company? Its Infiniti, not Infinity. Our car is not a speaker.
Wrong asumption. I own a Maxima and I never really payed attention to the spelling. I would have thanked you for pointing that out to me had you not used sarcasm.

I'm eyeballing the G35 coupe right now. I'm waiting to see what Infiniti is doing about the twin turbo version possibly coming up before I fork out the money for a twin turbo setup for myself. I like the potential for the all wheel drive setup.

RJG35

Old 09-12-2005, 06:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rjg35
Wrong asumption. I own a Maxima and I never really payed attention to the spelling. I would have thanked you for pointing that out to me had you not used sarcasm.

I'm eyeballing the G35 coupe right now. I'm waiting to see what Infiniti is doing about the twin turbo version possibly coming up before I fork out the money for a twin turbo setup for myself. I like the potential for the all wheel drive setup.

RJG35
If Infiniti comes out with a twin turbo, it won't be for at least a couple of years. Remember when a manufactuer adds a turbo, it much more complex than simply adding additional hardware, since the car will carry the same warranty. Hence the engine has to essentially be rebuilt to withstand the additional pressures caused by the turbo. Most manufacturers will beef up the cylinder walls thereby causing some decrease in displacement. I believe that when Audi added a turbo to its 3 liter engine the displacement decreased from 3 liters to 2.8 liters.

Old 09-12-2005, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by FAST1
If Infiniti comes out with a twin turbo, it won't be for at least a couple of years. Remember when a manufactuer adds a turbo, it much more complex than simply adding additional hardware, since the car will carry the same warranty. Hence the engine has to essentially be rebuilt to withstand the additional pressures caused by the turbo. Most manufacturers will beef up the cylinder walls thereby causing some decrease in displacement. I believe that when Audi added a turbo to its 3 liter engine the displacement decreased from 3 liters to 2.8 liters.
The cars that we are seeing now in 2006 were designed a long time ago. We are just being 'paced' with technology. The auto industry is just like the electronics industy. They make you think it's this 'new' thing coming out meanwhile it was designed years ago.

I believe they could easily assemble the new G coupe successfully within a year but you're right, it won't be until around 2008 they say. As far as the engine, the current G35 engine as quoted by the Infinity dealer here in Ottawa Canada was built to sucessfully withstand up to 450 horsepower. This is why a lot of people are doing well with their 'properly tuned' twin turbo G35s. Look at Fito, 11 seconds in the quater mile on stock internals!!! That's gotta tell you something.

As for the decrease in displacement, I don't think that's true for everyone. When Porsche added the 911 turbo again the early 90's it went up to a 3.6 litre engine.

RJG35

Old 11-03-2005, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by heeb
I don't think those problems could nearly come close to be considered a "lemon". The only problems I have heard of happening are the transmission problems on the 6MTs. Maybe try a different dealer and ask them about your problems. Dealers these days will try anything to get out of warranty work.

and since when is this car notorious for rattles?
Speaking as a service manager, this dealer welcomes warranty work. I don't care who's paying us, work is work. Besides, many G owners are so "frugal" (and by frugal I mean cheap) that warranty is the only work we ever get.

Old 11-03-2005, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by FAST1
Audi's 2.8 V6 (200hp) went to a 2.7 Biturbo (250 hp)

Old 11-03-2005, 07:27 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pentangle
Speaking as a service manager, this dealer welcomes warranty work. I don't care who's paying us, work is work. Besides, many G owners are so "frugal" (and by frugal I mean cheap) that warranty is the only work we ever get.
I guess it's a good thing you don't work on econo-boxes then.

To extoll on that a little - I know that aside from warranty work I wouldn't go to a dealer for any reason. If I want other work done I go outside the dealer network to reputable body shops. When I got my springs installed, for example. Frankly, given the quality of dealer service around here I try to use them as little as possible.

Last edited by Picus; 11-03-2005 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:34 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pentangle
True. It's also helped by the high dealer service rates and charges. In my city (the only dealer within 800 miles) it costs $52. for an oil change and an extra $50. for synthetic. Yes that's $102