G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Car won't start...think it's the alarm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since we're on the topic of remote starters.. I realize that my remote start sometimes works and sometimes doesnt. When I activate it, everything turns on like it's supposed to (like the power, ac, etc) but right before the initial turn on (when the ignition turns on) it just turns off. Then it'll try again on its own and it'll keep doing that but never really turn on. This happens a few times a week now.. but it does work. Anyone else experience something like this?

Old 09-16-2005, 12:18 AM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats an interesting one. There are two starter wires that are supposed to be energized on the G, you might want to check to make sure they are both getting power. If the remote start sequence is beginning then the shutdowns are ok (hood pin, brake).

Old 09-16-2005, 03:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kevin, would it matter whether I arm the car or not? Because my battery gradually drained when my alarm wasn't armed.

Old 09-16-2005, 07:29 AM
Banned
It all depends on the setup of the starter kill. Are you having battery issues ONLY when the alarm is disarmed? There are several ways to wire a starter kill, and maybe they have it set up so that the relay engergizes when you disarm the alarm, thinking the alarm will be armed whenever its not running. When you arm the alarm maybe you hear the starter kill relay drop out, not pull in!

Keep in mind, it may be another issue all together.

Old 09-17-2005, 01:59 AM
Well, here's an update...I took my car to my installer and he ran some tests to see if the alarm really is sucking up power from the battery, and the overall conclusion was that it wasn't the alarm. So apparently something is wrong with my electrical system in my car and causing it to drain power from my battery. I have scheduled maintenance tomorrow and will bring this up with my service guy. I'm just hoping that they won't blame my alarm or amp/sub setup for the problem. It's sad to know that my car is only 4 months old and causing all these problems. I'll keep everyone updated on the situation if you guys care at all. Thanks again Kevin for all the help.

Old 09-17-2005, 08:05 AM
Banned
9 times out of 10 the service department will automatically blame your aftermarket equipment. You are almost better off taking it out before taking it in. I've seen some nightmares....

Worst case senario I've seen service departments uninstall aftermarket equipment! They charge an arm and a leg, and you are left to pay the bill to have the stuff reinstalled!!!

Most service shops just don't have the technical knowledge to accurately troubleshoot electronic problems. If you check out he service manual for the G35 you'll see what I mean. Its a worksheet that just steps through the vehicle. Unfortunately, this worksheet doesn't account for aftermarket stuff.

If they bring up your aftermarket stuff tell them that that is what you thought it was first. Then tell them you've had it all taken out, and the problem still existed, so you put it back in. That should get them to at least look into things.

Good luck!

Old 09-17-2005, 01:44 PM
Hey Kevin,

I just dropped my car off at the service department and told them that I had my aftermarket stuff uninstalled and reinstalled to prove that it wasn't those things causing the electrical malfunction. The service manager I talked to said that most of the cases will almost definitely blame my aftermarket sound system. I don't think they fully understood that my car is draining power from the battery when the car is completely off. Anyway, they said they will run their diagnostics and such. I'm praying that those "worst-case scenarios" will not apply to me. However, I have been a victim of Murphy's Law for the past month now. Wish me luck.