G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Popping noise from rear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2005 | 08:40 PM
Banned
clicking noise

i had the same problem!!! Drove me nuttz!! I heard it when i stop the car,then accelerate quickly!! Took it back to the dealer and it was from the rear! He explained to me it was a part in the rear of the the car that gives out at some time!!! It should be under your warranty!!!

Old 09-19-2005 | 09:16 PM
FGC General Member
The only annoying noise I ever get is when i leave my house in the morning. My driveway is on a little slant and when i go down in reverse i go at an angle so i dont rub the front bumber on the ground. But by the time my back right tire hits the pavement it makes a loud noise on the right side and then the left side of my car comes down and makes a loud sound on the left. It almost sounds like the chasis is twisting...it is really weird.that is the only time i get this type of noise. maybe its cuz my car has sat outside all night...i dont know....any ideas?

Old 11-09-2005 | 01:40 PM
|
Well, I'd went underneath and tried to tighten some suspension items. I also rode in the back while someone else drove and could hear that it was coming from the passenger rear deck somewhere. I removed the rear deck cover and the cover beneath it (inside the trunk) and attempted to tighten things up including the chassis bolts found behind the rear deck covers.

Alas, nothing worked so I brought it in to the dealer. The tech stated that he fixed it by placing foam around the jack next to the spare tire. Well, it didn't work. The dull, metalic, pop sound is back. I think it might be chassis related.

Any ideas?

Old 11-12-2005 | 03:25 AM
I had the same "type" of sound for the last few months. Sounder like a fabric strap flapping and hitting the rear fender. Went through every contortion to try to identity it myself. Finally took it to my dealer. They had it for three days and finally declared it fixed by replacing the right rear shock. Well the sound was still there. Happens on smooth roads as well as not so smooth roads and seemed to happen most at speeds under forty. Took it back today and went for a drive with the teck and service manager sitting in the back. They agreed the noise was still there. Well, they fixed it. They described the repair but I did not commit it to memory. Here is what my service order says: "Client reports of a knocking noise from the right rear of car at about 25-30 MPH, check and advise: Repositioned sheet metal on inside of trunk at right shock tower. retest drove several times after repair. Noise gone." Hope this helps.

Old 11-17-2005 | 02:33 PM
|
Originally Posted by gumdoc
I had the same "type" of sound for the last few months. Sounder like a fabric strap flapping and hitting the rear fender. Went through every contortion to try to identity it myself. Finally took it to my dealer. They had it for three days and finally declared it fixed by replacing the right rear shock. Well the sound was still there. Happens on smooth roads as well as not so smooth roads and seemed to happen most at speeds under forty. Took it back today and went for a drive with the teck and service manager sitting in the back. They agreed the noise was still there. Well, they fixed it. They described the repair but I did not commit it to memory. Here is what my service order says: "Client reports of a knocking noise from the right rear of car at about 25-30 MPH, check and advise: Repositioned sheet metal on inside of trunk at right shock tower. retest drove several times after repair. Noise gone." Hope this helps.
Thank you!! I'll print this out and bring it in. The noise is annoying. Have you had the buzzing sound from the driver's side seat belt bracket? I need to fix that too. Yay.

Old 11-27-2005 | 01:06 PM
I have a 2005 5AT Coupe and I think I have the same problem. I hear a strong click/clunk coming from the rear right side of the car when: a) I initially shift into gear and and start moving. b) I hold the RPM at about 3000 to 4000 then lift the throttle and apply again. c) when switching from drive to reverse or reverse to drive then accelerating.

I am planning to take the car to the dealer. I think it is the axle problem linked in this thread. Thanks.

Old 12-12-2005 | 02:52 PM
Visited the dealer and the sound is gone now. The dealer told me that they needed to tighten some parts in the rear of the car. I hope the sound will not return.

Old 01-09-2006 | 07:11 PM
|
Yep, it had something to do with body panels. They shifted some around and tightened bolts and it's gone now.

Thanks to all that have helped.

Old 01-10-2006 | 01:37 AM
i have the same noise.. did they tighten the brace behind the rear seats? almost everytime i go over a speed bump i hear it.. sometimes when im on uneven surfaces.. its REALLY annoying.. this is my only rattle and i hope its my last.. too bad i dont trust my dealership with my car.. costa mesa infiniti really sucks...

Old 01-10-2006 | 02:22 AM
i think i know what you are talking about. usually happens to me when I go over a bump or driveway. kinda sounds like something is rolling around and hitting metal or something like that

Old 01-10-2006 | 10:00 AM
YES! thats the noise i have... the best way i can describe it is.... plastic hitting metal? i thought it was the seat belt hitting the wall but it wasnt... here's the strange thing.. on the way to work right now i only heard it like once or twice.. maybe its a problem that goes away with time i have 34,000 miles i was gonna take my car in to get it checked the other day but i'll wait to see if it comes back

Old 01-10-2006 | 01:56 PM
|
Originally Posted by Fiveseven
i have the same noise.. did they tighten the brace behind the rear seats? almost everytime i go over a speed bump i hear it.. sometimes when im on uneven surfaces.. its REALLY annoying.. this is my only rattle and i hope its my last.. too bad i dont trust my dealership with my car.. costa mesa infiniti really sucks...
The documentation wasn't specific but it mentioned adjusting panels in the rear. I can tell you that I already went into the trunk prior and attempted to tighten the crossmember under the rear deck but it didn't help. I will call them and try to find out.

Old 01-10-2006 | 11:27 PM
thanks for trying to find out... i thought it was the X brace behind the right rear seat that needed to be re-torqued... it used to drive me crazy but i've learned to live with it.. still want it to get fixed though

Old 02-13-2006 | 07:12 PM
|
Wow, sorry...about one month late.

I asked the tech that worked on the popping problem and he said to remove the interior trunk panel(s) under the rear deck and fold the seat down and you'll see a large center beam with bolts on it. Just tighten the bolts. (I think someone guessed this in this thread already.)

Funny thing is, before I brought it in for the umpteenth time to find the problem, I had pinpointed it to this area and removed the panels to expose the beam. I then attempted to torque the bolts down on the center beam but was only able to tighten a couple of them due to the ridiculous amount of pressure required by my cheesy hand tools. So if you don't have the exact socket size and don't have a long breaker bar, take it in and tell them to do this.

Old 03-07-2006 | 07:19 PM
are you sure its not coming from the sun roof. When the car turns or the axle moves, the body frame causes the noise. Hope that helps.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Popping noise from rear