G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

orange peel?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 06:16 PM
Fastest G35 In Rockwall
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, someone explain the orange peel thing. Why would there by orange peel on the cars?

Is it kind like putting a banana in the exhaust pipe?

Old 09-16-2005, 06:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jnkirk1974
Ok, someone explain the orange peel thing. Why would there by orange peel on the cars?

Looking closely, the paint resembles the texture of an Orange...

Old 09-16-2005, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by TheKnite
I thought only Ivory Pearl has the orange peel due to base and pearl coats. Other than the hood and the roof, I think orange peel is all over, especially visible on the rear bumper.

HAHAHAHA! I was going to post this as a serperate topic but it looks like somebody beat me to it. Well what I did was brought it to Infiniti Tustin and made it clear that I was not happy with it (my rear bumper suffers from really bad orange peel). So they gave me a loaner car and I will pick up my G this Monday...... I hope. They were really helpful and appologized. Even when the general manager looked at it he was appauled on how bad a job it was. A few feet away, you can't notice it but when you get up close it is very apparent. And if you think I raised hell at the dealership....think again. I was very cooperative and respectful. But if I did not get my way..... hehehehe!

Old 09-16-2005, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by jnkirk1974

look foley, were not going to fall for the banana in the tail pipe trick! unfortunatley, i think many ppl on these boards are too young to get the reference...

Old 09-16-2005, 07:44 PM
Is it because the EPA has created stricter regulations in the chemical mixtures auto manufacturers use in their paints? So the paint is thinner and more prone to run or chip?

Old 09-16-2005, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by ericsherbrooke
orange peel is common, blame the robot who paint the cars.

My g35 paint look good, should look at my 2002 rsx and my friend Mazda3...the orange peel is so bad it's unbelivable.

Cannot really buff it out beause it's under the clear, you buff and repaint to get it better.
Dude, you really don't know what u r talking about. All clear coat finished have certain amount of "peel". Peel in not in the basecot but rather imperfections due to the very way the clear is applied. If peel was under the clear as you suggest you would not be able to ever buff it out. When you buff a car you are buffing the clear coat not the basecoat.

To get rid of peel, you can block sand it flat, compound it, glaze it then hand wax. If the peel is not to bad you can wet sand it with a coarser grip paper then move to a finer grit,compound,glaze and then wax. Keep in mind that this will make the part/panel you are buffing more "flat" in texture. Example if you blocked/or wet-sanded & buffed a door the adjacent panels might not match. This would necessitate repeating this process to the whole side of the car.

Anthony

Old 09-16-2005, 08:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by antdiesel3
Dude, you really don't know what u r talking about. All clear coat finished have certain amount of "peel". Peel in not in the basecot but rather imperfections due to the very way the clear is applied. If peel was under the clear as you suggest you would not be able to ever buff it out. When you buff a car you are buffing the clear coat not the basecoat.

To get rid of peel, you can block sand it flat, compound it, glaze it then hand wax. If the peel is not to bad you can wet sand it with a coarser grip paper then move to a finer grit,compound,glaze and then wax. Keep in mind that this will make the part/panel you are buffing more "flat" in texture. Example if you blocked/or wet-sanded & buffed a door the adjacent panels might not match. This would necessitate repeating this process to the whole side of the car.

Anthony
I cringe at these ideas....I really hate hearing sand paper and car paint in the same sentence...yuck

Old 09-16-2005, 11:19 PM
Never enough
Originally Posted by antdiesel3

Anthony
PLEASE NO ONE TRY THIS unless you are a pro and have been doing it for a long time! You can break through hella fast then your fugged!

Old 09-16-2005, 11:57 PM
Sorry, Im very new to the site. Can someone explain this orange peel thing? What would I look for? What would it look like? (I'm guessing like an orange peel?) Thanks for educating a newbie.

Old 09-17-2005, 12:02 AM
WRAH
Originally Posted by weaksauce
look foley, were not going to fall for the banana in the tail pipe trick! unfortunatley, i think many ppl on these boards are too young to get the reference...
Bevely Hills Cop is never too young/old for anybody!

Old 09-17-2005, 12:05 AM
WRAH
Originally Posted by G352NV
PLEASE NO ONE TRY THIS unless you are a pro and have been doing it for a long time! You can break through hella fast then your fugged!
Its hard to do! But FUN!!!!!

Old 09-17-2005, 12:17 AM
Removing Orange Peel

Hey guys,

I've been painting cars for 14 years now (mainly collision work). Yes it is possible to remove orange peel. The problem is, the clear is there to protect the base from UV rays, bird crap, etc. When you sand some off, you're going to have less protection.

Also, if you get a scratch, you have some material to work with to try and remove (if the scratch is in the clear only). If you have already sanded off the orange peel, then you probably won't be able to get the scratch out without repainting.

Due to ever increasing air quality standards, the clear has become thicker (high solids), using less solvents to reduce VOC emissions. That is what's causing the orange peel. When spraying, there is a fine line between getting the clear to lay down wet with minimum orange peel and having runs and sags. Believe me, I have taken out my share of runs!!

My ultimate goal every time I paint a car is not having to cut and buff it afterwards. Unfortunately, all to often, I have to knock down the dirt nibs and also knockdown the texture to match the rest of the vehicle.

Please don't try this at home!! You have to buff the sand scratches out with a high speed rotary buffer. If you don't know what you are doing, you will burn through your clearcoat in a second. And if that happens, your only remedy is to get the panel repainted,-- and depending where the burn-through is-- the adjacent panel as well. (So the color can be blended out)

If you really can't stand the amount of orange peel on your car, then have a quality body shop do it, it will cost you, but you won't be disappointed in the results. If you live in the Sacramento area, I could do it for you, I would charge you less than a body shop would.

I have seen the orange peel on my G, (03 sedan, brilliant silver), but it is not that noticable because of the light color. In the next couple of weeks, I'm going to replace my G with an 03 coupe,carribean blue/graphite interior-- IMO that's got to be the most beautiful combonation-- but that's a whole other topic. I know I am going to lose a lot of money, but I'm going to finally get the car I want. I am rambling now, so I am going to stop here.

Old 09-17-2005, 12:20 AM
gtr proto test driver
.what does orange peel look like?

Old 09-17-2005, 12:25 AM
It is called orange peel because it looks like the texture of the surface of an orange. If your car had no orange peel, it would look like the surface of glass.

Look down the side of your car and focus on the texture, you will see it

Old 09-17-2005, 01:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't get why people worry so much about "orange peel", every paint has it, I will admit, some manufacturers are heavier on it, but why worry about such things, IMO the G35 doesn't have an "orange peel" problem at all!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: orange peel?