G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

AirCon humidity smell HELP

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-21-2005, 11:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question AirCon humidity smell HELP

Man, this is the 2nd G35 I own, and this happened to me again. As with my previous G, every time I (recently happened) turn on my air con, it smells like humidity for about 10 seconds. Im not sure why it is, but since no one here has complained about this, it must be because my driving habits.

My theory is that since I drive my car very little and short time trips, the engine never heats up enough as to make the water from the aircon evaporate. Not only this, but I wash the car pretty often, and she never stays under the sun for long.

Someone else's aircon smell like this? What part would I have to replace to have this smell go? What should I do to never get this smell again?

Old 09-21-2005, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine has the exact same smell. I thought about changing the ac filter but I don't know if that would solve it. I noticed you live in central Fl as do I so maybe it's just where we live j/k it shouldn't be our climate because all my other cars never had that smell. Anyone else have this smell that don't live in Florida?

Old 09-21-2005, 12:28 PM
It's so dry here in NM that humidity is never an issue. When I lived in Michigan and with other cars, it helped when I turned the a/c of a minute or two before I turned the car off (e.g., when I was a few blocks from my house). I think that allowed some of the moisture to clear out of the a/c so it wouldn't sit there and maybe start to mold before the next time I drove the car. With Florida's humidity, I don't know if that would work.

Old 09-21-2005, 12:28 PM
Do you run your AC on the lowest fan speed a lot?

Old 09-21-2005, 12:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
How do I get rid of the musty odor from the AC system?

The musty odor is created from the moisture and dust build up on the evaporator (A/C system component inside car). There is a lot of dirt build up on the evaporator the only solution is to removed and clean it. But you can also try to use the A/C system on "Econo" mode more often, especially 5-10 minutes before you turn the A/C off. This will help dry out the evaporator and prevent dirt build up.
Hope this solves your problems. www.Infinitihelp.com . Most of the answers you need will be solved.

Old 09-21-2005, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by jgainnm
It's so dry here in NM that humidity is never an issue. When I lived in Michigan and with other cars, it helped when I turned the a/c of a minute or two before I turned the car off (e.g., when I was a few blocks from my house). I think that allowed some of the moisture to clear out of the a/c so it wouldn't sit there and maybe start to mold before the next time I drove the car. With Florida's humidity, I don't know if that would work.
This is what my dealer told me when I asked them about the smell (when it happened to my ex Silver G). I did do this with this one but, apparently, it did not help.

Originally Posted by Pwoz
Do you run your AC on the lowest fan speed a lot?
I put it on 74 and on 2 (most of the time) or 3 sticks (sometimes). I guess I do run it pretty low. I put it full blast only at the beginning, after 2 mins, i set it back to 2.

Originally Posted by LjN_728
Hope this solves your problems. www.Infinitihelp.com . Most of the answers you need will be solved.
I'd be glad to remove and clean this, but I have no idea how to remove or clean it (or where it is). If you could help me out on this one, I'd be grateful.

Old 09-21-2005, 04:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by G35_coupe_6MT
I'd be glad to remove and clean this, but I have no idea how to remove or clean it (or where it is). If you could help me out on this one, I'd be grateful.

This is what I found. Hope it works!

http://g-owners.com/article_read.asp?id=29

Old 09-21-2005, 04:43 PM
Man thanx a lot. If that is what I need to change to get back my neutral air smell, I'll buy it. My roomate can read that so =D

Old 09-21-2005, 05:28 PM
Is the in cabin air filter the culprit? I'm guessing not. Have you seen an in cabin filter seated in the housing? I'm surprised it does anything really.

They make products specifically designed to combat this problem. You spray some Lysol like cleaner into your air intake (for the cabin, not engine) while the vehicle is running and it is supposed to neutralize the odor. Might try asking for it at your local auto parts store.

Old 09-21-2005, 05:39 PM
same smell here, think its the humidity...living in the northeast sux!!

Old 09-21-2005, 11:52 PM
Out of many - one people
Charcoal filter

You can also get the charcoal version of the in cabin air filter at Everything G35. Gordgee also has his HEPA filter version

Last edited by rupdog326; 09-21-2005 at 11:56 PM.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:17 AM
Yeah i have this problem to, only the first few seconds when i turn my ac on (usually when im going to school in the morning). It doesn't really bother me, im half asleep and can't really tell whats going on. lol

Old 09-22-2005, 12:39 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Optional
I havent dug into my manual to figure out the significance of ECON vs traditional AUTO on the climate control. Anyone care to explain the difference?

Old 09-22-2005, 03:12 AM
^ I believe AUTO decides what to put for you based on the temp its set to vs temp outside while the ECON gets the air from outside.

Damn, thought I was the only one with this smell. Infiniti once told me that I didnt warm up the engine enough for it to leave. Not only that, but I use the AirCon very frequently. From what you guys have posted, there is no way to avoid this apparently. Im stuck with this smell forever =(

Those of you that have that smell, do you guys park the G in a garage? I think that all the rain in FL (I park under roof, but the water that evaporates from below the car) plus all the watter from car-washing, plus me using AirCon a lot makes me have the smell.

Old 09-22-2005, 10:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have a new 3 mo old 05 and i get the same thing, guessing not the filter uless they forgot to put one in

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: AirCon humidity smell HELP