G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

New member checking in and ?s about the E-brake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 03:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New member checking in and ?s about the E-brake

I just picked up a coupe earlier this week and all I can say is its one hell of a car. The one thing that concerns me is that in order to keep my car from rolling on a hill, when parked and out of gear, is to pull up the E-brake higher than expected. Is this normal or does my E-brake need adjustment? I have 300 miles on the odo.

'03 G35 Coupe 6sp, Ivory Pearl
'92 Miata, Turbo

Old 07-11-2003, 05:16 AM
Premier Dough Slapper
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: New member checking in and ?s about the E-brake

I have noticed this too. The e-brake on mine as well, you gotta really yank up HIGH to keep the car from rolling on any incline. I don't know how much of that can be adjusted, but if its like any other linkage, there must be a place where it can be tightened up a bit. When I take my car in for its 1st service at roughly 3k miles I will have them look into it.

Old 07-11-2003, 05:25 AM

Why do you park out of gear? The emergency brake should never be used as the only brake when parked. The car should be in gear (first or reverse depending on which way the car is headed on a hill) reverse if on the level. The brake level on my coupe is just fine. There is an adjustment however.

Lou

Old 07-11-2003, 07:23 AM

Mine slips too, I'm traking it into the dealer.
Lou: The brake still needs to have a secure lock in order to prevent accidental roll. ie. gear slipage. It's an easy fix. Plus if your using an auto start feature as I will, you definitely need it.

"Use the Forced Induction Luke!"
-Jedi
2003 G35C, 6MT, Navi, Black Obsidian/Graphite

Old 07-11-2003, 09:51 AM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Why do you park out of gear? The emergency brake should never be used as the only brake when parked. The car should be in gear (first or reverse depending on which way the car is headed on a hill) reverse if on the level.

<hr></blockquote>

This is COMPLETELY wrong. The transmission is NOT supposed to be used as a brake, or even a braking aid unless completely necessary on very steep hills. The emergency brake should be sufficient in most cases (unless you live in San Francisco, at which point owning a manual trans car is, IMHO, insane!).

I have the same issue with my E-Brake, which will be addressed at my next service visit. Unless I'm on dead-level ground, I have to pull it as far as it will go to keep the car from rolling. From what I understand, it's a very common problem with the G35, but is easily correctable as well - they simply adjust the tension and all is well.

But don't - I repeat, DON'T - get conned into thinking your transmission should be your means of keeping the car from rolling when parked. It's very bad for the transmission.

2003 G35 Coupe 6MT Leather
Premium, Aero
"There is no spoon"

Old 07-11-2003, 10:01 AM

Yeah I have noticed that the E-brake is soft and needs a good yank to get it to bite. Something to check out I guess. You would have to be quick on the brake-clutch-gas pedals when doing hill starts, in case you start rolling backward, even with the E-brake on??

2003 6MT Coupe Black/Graphite/Prem./Nav/Aero
1994 MR2 Turbo 5MT Black/Prem.

Old 07-11-2003, 01:24 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

guys, the ebrake can be adjusted at the dealer from what i've read in another thread on this forum.
i agree, it is way too loose and you need to yank it all the way to fully engages. It is not proportioned right, you can fix it at the dealer

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c 6MT DG/Willow

Old 07-11-2003, 02:44 PM

Thx for all the quick responses, I'll probably have the dealer look in to it and make any necessary adjustments. Indeed, I live around the san francisco area, daly city to be exact (even more hills) and I often use the ebrake from a stop on a hill. On my miata, the ebrake is sufficient (probably 3 clicks) in keeping my car from rolling on a hill in front of my house. I do park in gear though, but I put it in to gear after knowing my car is already stopped with the ebrake.

'03 G35 Coupe 6sp, Ivory Pearl
'92 Miata, Turbo

Old 07-11-2003, 03:00 PM

screw that, when i park on a hill im certain my car is in gear, who cares if its bad for the transmission if something happens and it rolls and demolishes something or worse kills somebody, i couldnt walk away from it knowing the ebrake is the only thing holding it.

2003.5 G35 Silver/Graphite 6MT Premium Coupe

Old 07-11-2003, 03:56 PM

I am a part time mechanic. Putting the car in gear when parked is NOT, repeat NOT, very bad for the transmission. I have owned nothing but manuals (3, 4, 5, and 6 speeds) I am an accredited driving instructor, and a graduate of a racing school, I do know how to drive. There is no need not to use the transmission as a brake aid. With an automatic you put it in park, what do you think that does? The only time you don't use the engine to brake is when your slowing down, and that is not because of wear on the transmission, but wear on the clutch. Again, the transmission should always be in gear when the car is parked. Many years ago, the name of the emergency brake used to be the parking brake, but that was changed because IT IS NOT A PARKING BRAKE BUT AN EMERGENCY BRAKE, GET THAT AN EMERGENCY BRAKE. It is to be used in conjuction with a locked transmission. Manual or automatic.

Old 07-11-2003, 09:45 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

he is right guys. always put in gear, even auto's when put in Park go into gear, or at least some form of it

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c 6MT DG/Willow

Old 07-11-2003, 09:55 PM

well, my e/parking brake is also weak, but mines AT (I'm guessing you MTs have the lever, ATs have the pedal).. you have to really step on it to do anything meaningful Its not really even engaging much 70% of the travel. I suspect we have the same mechanism in the rear... its not just you guys.

----------------------------------------------------
bs g35c lth/prem - a poser with no lsd