G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

350Z owners.. anyone notice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 07:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 350Z owners.. anyone notice?

maybe i am the only one that noticed but the car is call the skyline "GT"350 as in GRAND TOURING 350.

Old 07-14-2003, 09:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Take a look at the G's luxury accommodations as compared to say, a BMW and you'll see what I mean - the bimmer has things like wood grain, heated mirrors and headlights, theater lighting, automatically lowering side mirrors, etc.

<hr></blockquote>

Well, my G35C has heated mirrors and theater lighting, and wood grain could be had on the sedan, but anyway...

To me it is very clear that exceptional luxury was not the goal of the coupe. I think it's more to deliver awesome performance and an outstanding driving experience while offering a very competetive set of luxury amenities.

<hr></blockquote>

I understand your point, but you're missing a piece of the equation: price. At a price in the mid-$30's, exceptional luxury isn't going to be possible, even if performance wasn't on the priority list at all. Remember, the BMW you compare the G to is several thousand dollars more expensive.

If performance was the #1 priority of the G35C at its price point, the car would not weigh over 3,400 lbs. It would not have things like heated seats, a back seat, a trunk, a full size spare tire, CD changer, etc.

2003 G35C, 6MT, DG/G, Aero/Nav/Premium
2002 Corvette Z06, Electron Blue/Black

Old 07-14-2003, 10:50 PM

"If performance was the #1 priority of the G35C at its price point, the car would not weigh over 3,400 lbs. It would not have things like heated seats, a back seat, a trunk, a full size spare tire, CD changer, etc."

Yours has a full size spare?

Old 07-14-2003, 11:40 PM

Well, my G35C has heated mirrors and theater lighting, and wood grain could be had on the sedan, but anyway...

<hr></blockquote>

If by theater lighting you mean just the fact that the lights fade, then yes, but the BMW has multiple lights with a much smoother gradient from light to dark - more theater-like. And I'm not bringing the sedan in here - just strictly the coupe.

understand your point, but you're missing a piece of the equation: price. At a price in the mid-$30's, exceptional luxury isn't going to be possible, even if performance wasn't on the priority list at all. Remember, the BMW you compare the G to is several thousand dollars more expensive.

<hr></blockquote>

Actually, a 325Ci with those options will cost in the mid-30s and unlike your coupe, actually does have a full-size spare.

Even that example aside, I it is very possible to deliver exceptional luxury for that price. Take the Audi A4 1.8T, or the Lexus ES300. True that they are not in the same class but they both offer a level of luxury mich higher than the coupe for a mid-30s price point. The G could have easily taken that route, substituting wood for the high-performance brakes, fully automated memory seat controls for the aluminum hood, headlight washers for the 17" alloys, etc. and made itself a luxury-first car.

If performance was the #1 priority of the G35C at its price point, the car would not weigh over 3,400 lbs.

<hr></blockquote>

Funny you should say that, as much of its increased curb weight comes from the fact that it had to be reinforced for added stiffness and rigidity. The fact that they were willing to make it heavier than the sedan in order to handle better says everything.

It would not have things like heated seats, a back seat, a trunk, a full size spare tire, CD changer, etc.

<hr></blockquote>
A car can have rear seats and still have sport as a priority - take any Porsche or an M3 as an example. The rest of the things you listed are options the G has to keep it competetive in its market. Pretty much every car it competes with has a back seat, trunk, full-size spare (which the coupe does not), and CD changer. The G coupe has no luxury features which differentiate it from its competition... even the competition at its price point. But it does have performance in spades.

At the end of the day, when I see a car that hits 60 in 5.5, pulls .91 gs, growls louder than every car in its class, with braking on par with a Porsche... yet lacking memory seats - I don't see luxury as priority 1. The G is no true sports car - it won't be mistaken for an S2000 anytime soon. But I don't see it falling more on the luxury side either.

Old 07-15-2003, 02:02 AM

Actually, a 325Ci with those options will cost in the mid-30s and unlike your coupe, actually does have a full-size spare.

<hr></blockquote>

When I said full sized spare, I mean its almost the same diameter as the 17's. Not that its the exact same tire as the other 4. Obviously the primary tires are too wide to fit as a spare.

And a 325Ci is a slow pig with vinyl seats at that price point...

Funny you should say that, as much of its increased curb weight comes from the fact that it had to be reinforced for added stiffness and rigidity. The fact that they were willing to make it heavier than the sedan in order to handle better says everything.

<hr></blockquote>

What?!? What was reinforced? Compared to what other FM platform car? This isn't like an Evo where an econobox was reinforced to handle better. Look, the car is heavy. And its heavy because of its size and luxury and safety features (6 airbags and related systems add quite a bit of weight). Neither of which contribute to performance. Its scary when you consider how heavy the car would be if it didn't already have weight saving components on it such as the aluminum hood, aluminum control arms, etc. Without all that aluminum, this car would probably weigh closer to 3,600 lbs.

If you want better handling, the best thing you can do is get rid of weight, not add to it. This same car with same suspension would pull way more than .91G's on the skidpad and have much higher slalom speeds if it weighed 3,000 lbs. instead of 3,400+.

Ideally, you want to lower weight and increase chassis stiffness. Which is what the Z06 is relative to the regular C5 for example: stiffer and lighter. Not stiffer and heavier.

Old 07-15-2003, 02:07 AM

i dont consider my car a sports car i consider it a GT car
but on that note the previous model Zs were considered GT cars.
magazines have always said GT cars were luxury+ sports cars.

-moooooo

Old 07-15-2003, 03:11 AM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club

"When I said full sized spare, I mean its almost the same diameter as the 17's. Not that its the exact same tire as the other 4. Obviously the primary tires are too wide to fit as a spare.
"

Any spare that is not a temporary donut, is a full size spare. I'm sure thats what he meant.

"What?!? What was reinforced? Compared to what other FM platform car?"

How about the Z? Comparing the G35C to the Z, is a better comparison then the G35S and G35C. In this care, he'd be talking about our cars not having either the FSTB or the RSTB. In the G, there has to be some sort of reinforcement to compensate for this loss. While not as affective as the STB's, the reinforcement still help maintain a decent level of structual rigidity. If it wasn't for this, there is no way this car would see .91G on the skidpad. So in this case, there is a performance gain even with the added weight. Its like adding a supercharger to a car. While the SC does sap power from the motor to drive the turbine, the power gained still overcomes the slight loss.On the same end, while handling may have increased with the weight, some acceleration would have been lost. Its a trade off, and I'm sure the gains in handling far outweighed the slight loss of acceleration.

Old 07-15-2003, 08:28 AM

The recipe used to cook up the G35Cs performance/luxury/utility ratio is as close to ideal as I've ever experienced in a car. Yes it is surprisingly heavy, that's true. But as G35TR pointed out, the added weight = added rigidity which benefits cornering power. Personally I am way more than thrilled with the cornering limits on this car. I don't frequent race tracks and don't expect to start doing so, but for me the handling and cornering limits on public streets are virtually unreachable. I could find and exceed the cornering limits on the BMW 325is/sport/Potenza S03s I had previously with the *greatest* of ease. Comparatively, the G35C is a freakin' slot car.

Infiniti had the good sense to pack plenty of HP into the engine too (at least for this driver), so the weight isn't much of a liability in straight-line performance either. As with the cornering, it simply dusts my old BMW, which was NOT a grandma's car by any stretch.

Considering that all this go, turn and stop (we all know the brakes are great too) comes in a usably 2+2 package that has great storage capacity (in 2 seat mode) as well as outstanding luxury amenities (other than the glaring omission of memory seats), this car is an out-of-the-park grand slam homer as far as I'm concerned.

Aside from the memory seats, I couldn't be happier with this car.

Old 07-15-2003, 11:07 AM

In this care, he'd be talking about our cars not having either the FSTB or the RSTB.

<hr></blockquote>

The G35C does have a RSTB, just not a FSTB. You can't see the RSTB as you can in the 350Z because its hidden beneath the rear parcel shelf, behind the rear seatback.

In the G, there has to be some sort of reinforcement to compensate for this loss. While not as affective as the STB's, the reinforcement still help maintain a decent level of structual rigidity.

<hr></blockquote>

You guys are shooting in the dark here - you're saying there is "some" reinforcement the G35C has over the 350Z, but fail to identify what exactly. Is it another cross-member? Beefier frame rails? Additional welds? I really don't think there is any - I've read alot about this car, and don't recall ever hearing about any structural enhancements that the G35C has over the 350Z.

<hr></blockquote>If it wasn't for this, there is no way this car would see .91G on the skidpad.

<hr></blockquote>

Sure it could! The FM platform is a very stiff structure to begin with. The only thing that is lacking in the G35C relative to the 305Z is the FSTB. And while a FSTB helps, it doesn't make a dramatic difference in the handling, especially when dealing with a stiff chassis to begin with.

Old 07-15-2003, 12:02 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

Sure it could! The FM platform is a very stiff structure to begin with. The only thing that is lacking in the G35C relative to the 305Z is the FSTB. And while a FSTB helps, it doesn't make a dramatic difference in the handling, especially when dealing with a stiff chassis to begin with.
__________________________________________________ _
No that's not the only differance, your not including one other important differance. The Z runs different springs and struts that are tuned for the car's mission. Performance 1st. That's why I have 350Z springs and struts on my sedan. All 3 run the same diameter of sway bars btw, 33mm front 20mm rear.

Ivry 6mt sed
Injen CAI, 22" resonator
8X18 Enkei RPM2 45mm
Kumho MX 245/40
clear corners

Old 07-15-2003, 12:05 PM

When I said full sized spare, I mean its almost the same diameter as the 17's. Not that its the exact same tire as the other 4. Obviously the primary tires are too wide to fit as a spare.

And a 325Ci is a slow pig with vinyl seats at that price point...

<hr></blockquote>
The point is that unlike your assertation, you can easily provide more luxury than the G at that price point. If you don't think you can get a 325 for $35 with more than a G, then look at the ES. Or the A4. Or a TSX, which comes completely loaded at 30.

What?!? What was reinforced? Compared to what other FM platform car? This isn't like an Evo where an econobox was reinforced to handle better. Look, the car is heavy. And its heavy because of its size and luxury and safety features (6 airbags and related systems add quite a bit of weight). Neither of which contribute to performance. Its scary when you consider how heavy the car would be if it didn't already have weight saving components on it such as the aluminum hood, aluminum control arms, etc. Without all that aluminum, this car would probably weigh closer to 3,600 lbs.

If you want better handling, the best thing you can do is get rid of weight, not add to it. This same car with same suspension would pull way more than .91G's on the skidpad and have much higher slalom speeds if it weighed 3,000 lbs. instead of 3,400+.

Ideally, you want to lower weight and increase chassis stiffness. Which is what the Z06 is relative to the regular C5 for example: stiffer and lighter. Not stiffer and heavier.

<hr></blockquote>

Put 2 and 2 together. The G has longer wheelbase, no stability bar, and is heavier, yet handles better than a Z. The ONLY way this can be possible is due to enhanced structural rigidity. If you don't think this is the case, why do you think they designed the coupe to be heavier than the sedan? The coupe has less luxury features than the sedan does so it can't be because it has more amenities adding weight. And the sedan is larger in volume than the coupe. So what other reason would they have to make the coupe heavier?

This car had its handling designed on a different premise - while the Z is more of an agile, tossable car, the G digs in to turns more, and it's pretty clear that without its stiffness it wouldn't have a prayer on the track.

Old 07-15-2003, 12:05 PM

Ok what are people crazy saying that the G35 is not a sports car BUT the 350Z is!!!

1. weight 350z weights about 200LBS less
2. motor 350z has 7 more HP
3. performance about .2 seconds differance!!

Look back in the 60's and 70's when they had big blocks 454's and such but the cars weighed about 4600 Guess and they arnt any faster then the V35 motor that is in the 350z and G35.

So bottom line Technology is taking over cubic inches and all the american lovers have to face that..

These are sports cars even tho they only have 6 Cy..

1 more thing they compare the G35 SC to the BMW 330ci not the 325ci

Old 07-15-2003, 02:44 PM

So bottom line Technology is taking over cubic inches and all the american lovers have to face that..

<hr></blockquote>

Whoa! You just opened a big can of worms with that statement, whether you know it or not.

Based on your anti-American vehicle comments, I assume you think that all push-rod V-8's are old school junk and the VQ35 with all its technology is a vastly superior motor. Correct?

I would love to here how you can explain this then:

My Z06 produces 405hp, with 5.7L displacement, 2 valves per cylinder, pushrods, no variable valve timing, etc. The car gets 29 MPG on the highway, and averages about 21MPG overall with mixed city and highway driving. The car is also certified as a LEV (Low Emissions Vehicle).

My G35C produces 280hp, with 3.5L of displacement, 4 valves per cylinder, DOHC, variable valve timing, etc. A technology masterpiece of an engine. Yet the car gets 26MPG on the highway, and averages 19MPG overall with mixed city and highway driving. It's also not a certified LEV (will be in 2004).

So how is it that an engine and a car with so much more technology in it is so much less efficient than a pushrod American V-8? The only thing the VQ is more efficient at is producing more power per Liter (80 vs. 71). But who cares when the bottom line is its producing substantially less power for a given amount of fuel consumed, while producing more emissions. Not exactly efficient. So much for technology?

Old 07-15-2003, 03:21 PM

One thing I agree on and I've always said this...the LS1 engine makes me proud to be an American. Best American engine ever produced and one of the best V8s ever made.

Old 07-16-2003, 12:00 AM

Dont get me wrong I like old muscle cars with the big motors but when people say If its not a V8 then its a POS rice burner that cant get out of its own way... I love the Z06 and always wanted to drive 1.. Look at some of the fastest street cars Toyota Supra, 300zx, Mazda RX7.. what do they have in common?? V6 motors.. Sure V8 are just as fast if properly tuned im not arguing that all im saying is that V4- V6 - or V8 nowadays doesnt matter.. you can have your Z06 and have a POS Handa Civic pull next to you and beat your *** you never know.. Not saying that would happen at least I hope not

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 350Z owners.. anyone notice?