G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Rear active steering

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear active steering

The search isn't working at the moment. So what are the benefits of rear active steering? Better turn radius? Please explain.

Thanks

Old 09-29-2005, 02:46 PM
yes, better stearing. There are draw backs though, like more stuffin there to break/ more complicated. Also will make the car weight more which of course == slower performance. But yes, better cornering.

Old 09-29-2005, 04:43 PM
mkn
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can u explain what u mean by more stuffin there to break ??? and how does the car weight more ? will it really slow down performacne by weightin more ?

Pros and Cons to rear steering give me your thoughts thank you

Old 09-29-2005, 05:09 PM
The car weighs more because of the parts needed to have rear steering... and more weight means you can't accelerate it as fast with the same amount of force. It depends how much weight it adds on how siginificant the impact will be. There is more stuff to break because like any moving parts, they will be subject to malfuntion, whereas in the previous G's there is nothing there that could malfunction.

Old 09-29-2005, 05:12 PM
mkn
good point a waste of 750

Old 09-29-2005, 05:30 PM
The only real reason I'd pass on this option (if I were in the market for an '06) is due seeing so many older 300ZXs eliminating the HICAS. I'm sure the new system isn't as twitchy as that older system was, but it certainly brings the mod to mind.

Old 09-29-2005, 05:52 PM
Rear steering ... just additional rubbing issues to worry about when you drop the car and add 19x10.5 wheels in the back ... ... also means more fenders to roll ...

Old 09-29-2005, 06:58 PM
It might be specd out for OEM rim wheel base and after market rims may cause problems down the line...even if they were to be calibrated. However, it does give you a tight grip to the floor....but I think in conjunction with VDC, there is TOO much for the ECU to think about, so I don't know how much resources your car's brain will have to calculate anything else during evasive handling.

Old 09-29-2005, 07:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Optional
From what I know about Nissan's rear steering, the suspension assembly has additional torsion bars connected to motors that flick the torsion bar in an instant, thus turning the rear wheels about 1º to aid steering (toe angle). Correct me if I'm wrong on the extra torsion bar. Electric motors = quick torque on demand, in an instant, to get the job done.

BTW, (LOL) GT-Ron must be an old school Japan enthusiast like me if he remembers the Z's HICAS steering issues, people modding the suspension will likely want to deactivate the rear steer anyway. Stillen made that mod, maybe they'll make it this time around too.

I'd love to see a pic of how they set this up now. Its just a matter of time until someone snaps one. Should be interesting. I think it's the same setup the M45 has. Someone in DFW crawl under a new coupe at Grubbs this weekend! They should have some by now.

Last edited by kidtronix; 09-29-2005 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:06 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by negative
The search isn't working at the moment. So what are the benefits of rear active steering? Better turn radius? Please explain.

Thanks
Not sure if the G's Rear Active Steering is the same as my M's but it steers the rear wheels 1 degree in the direction of steering to assist in high speed avoidance maneuvers.
Below about 30 mph, it does nothing.

C.

Old 09-29-2005, 08:54 PM
From what I've heard, rear active steering makes the car easier to corner, but it dose not lead to FASTER in cornering, in fact, it will slow it down slightly.

Old 12-11-2005, 05:26 AM
Haters! Assuming it integrates in to the VDC, it adds a whole new dimension to control of the vehicle. Depending on the sign angle of the rears relative to the fronts, you can get quicker initial rotation of the vehicle and then increased damping when straightening out. I have it on my '06 6MT and the effect in a slalom maneuver is quite noticeable... you can sense the rear rotating around without any loss of traction. So far, I'm a huge fan!

Old 12-11-2005, 10:31 AM
O.F. Administrator
Originally Posted by negative

Thanks
Not sure if your G is the same as my M, I think so, but mine only kicks in above 30mph and is meant to facilitate high speed avoidance maneuvers which tends to kick out the rear end.
My M's is motor driven and effects a 1 degree deflection of the rear wheels (at speed).
A very good safety feature, but like Briphi says, more to go wrong. Thank God for a good warranty.

C.

Old 12-11-2005, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by Msedanman
Not sure if your G is the same as my M, I think so, but mine only kicks in above 30mph and is meant to facilitate high speed avoidance maneuvers which tends to kick out the rear end.
My M's is motor driven and effects a 1 degree deflection of the rear wheels (at speed).
A very good safety feature, but like Briphi says, more to go wrong. Thank God for a good warranty.

C.
Infiniti advertises it as a performance option, not for safety. There are certainly advantages in either case.

Old 12-11-2005, 07:09 PM
O.F. Administrator
Originally Posted by MechEE
Infiniti advertises it as a performance option, not for safety. There are certainly advantages in either case.
That's right. It would allow for faster high speed cornering......
C.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rear active steering