G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

2005 6MT, grinding on 1-2 shift!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 05:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 6MT, grinding on 1-2 shift!!

"pissed" doesn't quite cover the emotion... *700* miles on the car, took it out for 1/2 hour today and it ground 5 times... normal driving everything is fine... full throttle in first gear and trying to do a "quick" shift to 2nd causes the grind, not every time, but probably 1/3 of the time... just to be clear, the clutch is completely to the floor when the grinding occurs... the car was plenty warmed up and the ambient temperature was 70 deg F...

and just to avoid the "dude, you don't know how to shift" replies, I have a 6-speed supra, recently sold a 6-speed camaro and have speed shifted every other car i've ever owned all the way back to my 4-speed 1988 hyundai excel... i don't claim to be Michael Schumacher, but NONE of my other cars have ever done this even a single time, much less 4 times in a single outing...

I've seen a few posts about using a different lube to fix this... i've also of course seen the numerous "my tranny is toast" posts where people are in some cases getting their 6th or 7th tranny put it...

my question is, are there two clear groups of problems here? one just requiring a lube change and one actually requiring hard part replacement? is my problem likely to go away permanently with just a swap to a different lube or am I just setting myself up for an eventual tranny replacement either way?

the thing that really concerns me here is my whole reason for buying this car was to build it up... at the moment the drivetrain is stock so I will have no issues with the dealer and warranty work, however, as soon as I've got a pair of turbos under the hood (which is coming soon, I already own them, just need to begin the installation) it will be an entirely different story... I'm seeing this as a huge red light keeping me from getting on the "mod highway"... i'm halfway debating selling the car and moving to another platform but i'm looking for some real input from other 6MT (especially 2005) owners who have had similar problems...

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 10-02-2005, 06:14 PM
DOO
i encountered that issue on the three test drives of that car. all three different dealers. i haven't figured it out.

Old 10-02-2005, 06:18 PM
Haven't you heard about the Burn-in period. WOT at 700 miles may be asking for trouble...

Old 10-02-2005, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by g35pat
Haven't you heard about the Burn-in period. WOT at 700 miles may be asking for trouble...
Ditto . . . Perhaps you should lay off a bit, until your G has a few more miles under its belt . . . Just a thought.

Old 10-02-2005, 06:28 PM
It goes away after awhile. Im not sure what it is, but I wouldnt worry about it. I noticed a couple of things that went away after the car was broke in.

Old 10-02-2005, 07:12 PM
phishman, are you saying you had this exact same symptom at low mileage and then it just magically went away? if so, at what mileage did it finally go away?

seems odd that i've been driving it like this since new (6 miles) and today is the first time it ever did it and all of sudden it does it four times in one drive... weather conditions are similar to plenty of other drives...

also seems odd that only 2nd gear does this when 2nd gear is the one with the triple cone synchro that should be the least likely to have these problems... although I also realize that the 2nd gear synchro is the one that usually sees the most abuse which is why it got the triple cone setup to begin with...

Old 10-02-2005, 07:20 PM
I got the same gring, with what sounds to be the same frequency you are having. It started around 4000 miles for me and is still present but not any worse at about 9000 miles now.

I don't know how bad your grind is, but my 1-2 shift has a light and brief grind but it still goes into gear with little if any more effort, just more sound and vibration.

I can't decide if I should just abuse it so that I can take it in for warranty since it feels like it is going to fail in the future or if I should just hope it goes away.

In addition to this damn 1-2 shift I still can't believe the amount of chatter in our cars, which of course is a whole other repeatedly covered issue.

Old 10-02-2005, 08:10 PM
mine goes into gear ok, but the noise it just made freaks me out so much that I don't typically let the clutch back out for a few seconds until my pulse goes back down... then I drive away slowly like a dog with my tail between my legs... nothing kills the cool factor of a sweet looking car like a grinding tranny noise that sounds like an '84 John Deere tractor...

and yes, there is quite a bit of shuddering and other sounds/vibrations coming from the entire clutch/tranny system... the first thing I noticed when I ever got in the car was that when you push in the clutch you can actually feel the clutch fork rubbing on the throwout bearing... its like there's something in there that's supposed to be greased but isn't... coming from a 5-speed Lexus IS300, which gave the driver almost zero vibrational/auditory input, this thing sounds/feels like a homemade dune buggy

Old 10-02-2005, 09:40 PM
I have 13000 miles on my 05. i have the same grind, havent had a chance to take it to the dealer even though its been doing it since the car was new. for a while i thought it was the BM short shifter but apparently not. your not alone.. heh.

Old 10-03-2005, 09:29 PM
I am dealing with the same issue on my 05 coupe!!! I have actually embarrassed myself a few times and it really is starting to **** me off pretty badly. The car is fine under normal shifting, but you are right. When I get on it and hit the 1-2 shift I get grinding every other time. I have 6k miles and I am thinking of taking it in, but it is going to be hard to duplicate this without showing abuse.

I had a 1997 maxima that was supercharged and I never missed a gear in my life until my G.

Old 10-03-2005, 10:33 PM
Received 295 Likes on 183 Posts
great. this better not happen 2 me............

Old 10-06-2005, 01:34 AM
i have a theory about a possible cause for this:

http://my350z.com/forum/showthread.p...0&goto=newpost

Old 10-06-2005, 02:37 AM
ZZ Boy
You must be talking about this issue!!!

http://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39553

I, myself had many issues with 2nd gear grind on my previous 2003 350Z Coupe.

I had 3 clevis pin replaced, clutch pedal assembly, & 4 trannys.
Nissan end up buying back my car.

I currently have 2004.5 350Z Roadster and I am on my 2nd tranny.

Now its lot better. I also used Redline MTL 70-80w (Nissan stock is gear oil is 75-85w)

Also Nissan has new tranny out. Its been about 6 months I think. The part number ends with 009.

Old 10-06-2005, 02:52 AM
Damn, you must really love something about the Z... If i had to have my car bought back I can't imagine getting another one, and then when that one turned up with a tranny problem too I think I would have been up on top the dealership with a sniper rifle...

I've been wanting to try a different fluid... did the redline make a big difference?

also, is there an easy to spot place on the tranny where there is a part number code or something? My car was built in March so I would be very curious wether I got the 008 or 009 tranny if you are saying the 009 is only 6 months old...

Last edited by 2JZfan; 10-06-2005 at 02:55 AM.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:05 AM
So the grinding problem thats been going on since 03-05 coupes usually happens when you floor it? I have nearly 30k miles on my 04 and I haven't really experienced any grinding.. but I only drive normally I don't usually go to 6k rpm every gear. Im going to try that tomorrow and see what happens...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2005 6MT, grinding on 1-2 shift!!