G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

2005 6MT, grinding on 1-2 shift!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for me it's not really dependent on the rpm, it will happen if i shift at 5000 or 7000, the common thing that causes it is that I'm full throttle in 1st gear and i'm shifting into 2nd very quickly... normal driving/shifting is smooth as glass...

Old 10-06-2005, 10:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by andy2434
Ditto . . . Perhaps you should lay off a bit, until your G has a few more miles under its belt . . . Just a thought.

+1 '05 6MT with just under 700 miles.

I can shift extremely fast and have predominantly done so in my past. Perhaps due to break-in I'm being a little easier on it, only shifting at a normal-to-brisk pace, but I have yet to encounter a grind. Of course, I have yet to exceed 5200 rpm (hit it once) BUT I DO exceed 4200-4500 regularly.

Anytime I've thought about the reported grinding while driving, I always think to myself 'those guys must be speed-shifting or simply rowing as fast as humanly possible'. Slow it down just a tad. It might be that you're moving faster than mechanically possible (with this trans). If the trans is a slow operator, keep that in mind and operate at it's speed. It's going to result in a better time than missing/grinding due to speed-shifting the thing. Besides, speed shifting is harder on it and will wear on it more anyway.

There are no pauses in neutral when I shift and my throws are hardly lethargic. I also developed a bad habit of lightning-fast 1-2 shifts early on in a '91 Mustang GT with that bullet-proof trans. The pitfalls of that habit showed themselves on my '97 Mistu. GSX. It didn't take but a slight slow down to avoid grinding. The grind is telling you something. If the problem isn't mechanical (NOT talking about the resulting mechanical failures, etc.), then it's likely operator-induced. If you want a race-ready trans that can take more abuse in order to gain a couple tenths in the 1/4 , then a build is certainly in order for your specialized needs. ...Or you could try giving the car that fraction of a second more to do it's thing and see what happens.

finally realizes why all those arcade driving games have busted gear shifters

Last edited by GT-Ron; 10-06-2005 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:01 PM
I have an O5 with 7k on it right now.. I drive it pretty hard normally but Ill go drive the **** out of it at lunch to see if I can replicate the problem. I haven't seen this problem or any problems in my car yet and I do drive it hard. I've taken it to 3 autocrosses and haven't seen anything.. All in all, its been a pretty trouble free car and im pretty happy with it.. It's kind of alarming to read about so many people having issues at first, but you got to keep in mind, it's the problems you hear about, and not the good experiences most of the time. For the 20 or so peeps having issues, I bet there's 1000's who aren't.... But if you really think you're having a problem, take it back to the dealer while it's still unmodded and have it fixed under warranty..

Old 10-06-2005, 04:22 PM
ZZ Boy
Originally Posted by 2JZfan
Damn, you must really love something about the Z... If i had to have my car bought back I can't imagine getting another one, and then when that one turned up with a tranny problem too I think I would have been up on top the dealership with a sniper rifle...

I've been wanting to try a different fluid... did the redline make a big difference?

also, is there an easy to spot place on the tranny where there is a part number code or something? My car was built in March so I would be very curious wether I got the 008 or 009 tranny if you are saying the 009 is only 6 months old...
Yes I love the Z. You really can't get anying in that price range with that type of performance & look.

2nd time I got my Z , I was able to get VPP so even though there was a demand/shortage for Roadster I was able to get great price($300 over invoice). I purchased it in 2/2004. Back than, it was hard to get any discounts on the Z Roadsters. Some dealers were selling with dealer mark up which around $1000 over MSRP.

as for tranny, I don't think you can look at the part number on the tranny. Take it to a dealer and maybe the can tell you.

Also, for the fulid, I think Redline is the best for Z tranny (from my experience). Doesn't make a huge difference but it makes it little smoother. I also put prolong along with the Redline.

I tried Royal Purple 75-90w but it made my gear real sticky when cold.

I don't know if you guy know but from what I heard, Z trannys are made by Getrag, which is a very well known transmission manufacture in Germany. They are very well know for making great trannys but I don't know happened with Z tranny.

Audi uses same tranny on their 6MT.

Old 10-06-2005, 04:50 PM
Yeah, mine kind of magically went away. Thats not to say it doesnt do it at all now, but rarely and only when Im really beating on it. I know when I first got it I was worried. Car & Driver tested the 6mt sedan and said it was some kind of springs that made the noise. Its in the latest issue with a corvette on the front if you want ot check it out. Got 3rd place behind the 330 & IS350.

Old 10-06-2005, 07:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by virland
I have an O5 with 7k on it right now.. I drive it pretty hard normally but Ill go drive the **** out of it at lunch to see if I can replicate the problem. I haven't seen this problem or any problems in my car yet and I do drive it hard. I've taken it to 3 autocrosses and haven't seen anything.. All in all, its been a pretty trouble free car and im pretty happy with it.. It's kind of alarming to read about so many people having issues at first, but you got to keep in mind, it's the problems you hear about, and not the good experiences most of the time. For the 20 or so peeps having issues, I bet there's 1000's who aren't.... But if you really think you're having a problem, take it back to the dealer while it's still unmodded and have it fixed under warranty..
Ditto here. I have nearly zero problems with the gears NOT grinding and I came close to redline on my 05 6MT quite a few times after my break-in period (about 2000 miles, and I bought mine in late July).

It's true, you would think there are like a large population of G35 6MT owners having tranny, rattles, etc. problems on these forum but for the most part, you only read about the bad stuff and not usually the good stuff. I think I may have seen less than 30 folks with Tranny problems here on the forums? So, I think there are like 20,000 coupes in the US (I think more or less but I just can't remember). So, it doesn't look like it is a huge problem so long as Nissan fixes the ones that have problems. Good Luck and Happy Driving!

OH, BTW, I will drive my car hard tonight and do what I can (besides dropping the clutch) and see if I can replicated this "grinding". I'll keep you folks updated.

Last edited by mephistomyhero; 10-06-2005 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:08 PM
Times like this when i dont feel so bad i got an auto.. but i really love driving manual so one day ill either sway my G for a 6MT or an M3 if the money rolls in

Old 10-06-2005, 07:09 PM
Sorry for the pointless comment haha

Old 10-06-2005, 07:15 PM
Premier Member

Mine does the same thing. You really have to MAKE SURE the clutch pedal is on the floor when doing a high rev shift. Now when I make sure of this I don't have the grind near as often.

Originally Posted by 2JZfan
"pissed" doesn't quite cover the emotion... *700* miles on the car, took it out for 1/2 hour today and it ground 5 times... normal driving everything is fine... full throttle in first gear and trying to do a "quick" shift to 2nd causes the grind, not every time, but probably 1/3 of the time... just to be clear, the clutch is completely to the floor when the grinding occurs... the car was plenty warmed up and the ambient temperature was 70 deg F...

and just to avoid the "dude, you don't know how to shift" replies, I have a 6-speed supra, recently sold a 6-speed camaro and have speed shifted every other car i've ever owned all the way back to my 4-speed 1988 hyundai excel... i don't claim to be Michael Schumacher, but NONE of my other cars have ever done this even a single time, much less 4 times in a single outing...

I've seen a few posts about using a different lube to fix this... i've also of course seen the numerous "my tranny is toast" posts where people are in some cases getting their 6th or 7th tranny put it...

my question is, are there two clear groups of problems here? one just requiring a lube change and one actually requiring hard part replacement? is my problem likely to go away permanently with just a swap to a different lube or am I just setting myself up for an eventual tranny replacement either way?

the thing that really concerns me here is my whole reason for buying this car was to build it up... at the moment the drivetrain is stock so I will have no issues with the dealer and warranty work, however, as soon as I've got a pair of turbos under the hood (which is coming soon, I already own them, just need to begin the installation) it will be an entirely different story... I'm seeing this as a huge red light keeping me from getting on the "mod highway"... i'm halfway debating selling the car and moving to another platform but i'm looking for some real input from other 6MT (especially 2005) owners who have had similar problems...

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 10-06-2005, 07:16 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by phishman
It goes away after awhile. Im not sure what it is, but I wouldnt worry about it. I noticed a couple of things that went away after the car was broke in.
It doesn't go away. Mine has 7300 miles and its still the same.

Old 10-06-2005, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by mephistomyhero
Ditto here. I have nearly zero problems with the gears NOT grinding and I came close to redline on my 05 6MT quite a few times after my break-in period (about 2000 miles, and I bought mine in late July).

It's true, you would think there are like a large population of G35 6MT owners having tranny, rattles, etc. problems on these forum but for the most part, you only read about the bad stuff and not usually the good stuff. I think I may have seen less than 30 folks with Tranny problems here on the forums? So, I think there are like 20,000 coupes in the US (I think more or less but I just can't remember). So, it doesn't look like it is a huge problem so long as Nissan fixes the ones that have problems. Good Luck and Happy Driving!

OH, BTW, I will drive my car hard tonight and do what I can (besides dropping the clutch) and see if I can replicated this "grinding". I'll keep you folks updated.

OK, so I tried it while I went home from work. Let me tell you, it is hard to do this in L.A.'s rush hour! So, I redlined it in 1st gear and shift quickly into 2nd gear and shift to 3rd gear about 4000 rpm. No grinding. This was on a side street (you can only imagine the trail of cars I left in my review mirror ). Again, it was hard doing this on a side street which also twisted a bit too.

I tried the same thing again going on the on-ramp: Redlined in 1st, shifted into 2nd. quickly, then I shift into 3rd. gear near 6K, and did a quick shift to 5th. gear (I was near 80 I think at this point). Again, no grinding.

Finally, I went to redline in 1st. gear, shifted quickly into 2nd. gear and took it out of gear at about 4K rpm and had to make my turn for home. Nope, no grinding.

I don't know, maybe it is the person shifting rather than the car? I actually blip the throttle BEFORE I put it into gear. This helps alot. Of course, when speed shifting like I just did, no need to blip the throttle as I am pretty high in the RPM already. Well, that's my story and I'm sticking with it

Old 10-07-2005, 12:08 AM
I have 700 miles on my car and i have same grinding sound. Does anyone when this grinding sound went away for people who had this before?
Also, mephistomyhero, do you drive black coupe? I think i have seen black coupe in torrance with axis rims... looks nice.

Old 10-07-2005, 12:52 AM
Originally Posted by drunken1000
I have 700 miles on my car and i have same grinding sound. Does anyone when this grinding sound went away for people who had this before?
Also, mephistomyhero, do you drive black coupe? I think i have seen black coupe in torrance with axis rims... looks nice.
Hehe. Nope, wasn't me. I actually haven't seen a nice Black coupe near me. Have you seen my sig? Although, there are two G35's near my block: One black Sedan (looks plain) and a 03-04 (has a wing/spoiler) and was pretty plain too. I am planning on getting some INGS on the car soon though. Rims? Well, that is another story. I really like my 05 rims and tires. Who knows. Maybe I'll get tired (excuse the pun) of it soon.

On another note, on the grinding. I use to grind all the time. It usually goes away (not on the G though). Wait until the break-in period is over and see. This is the reason why I drive granny during break-in periods. I have almost no problems with my car *knocks on wood*. Maybe take it easy and see what happens after 2000 miles.

Also, if you are near me in Torrance. Drop my an IM, maybe we'll catch up on some G stories and you can try and see if you can grind it on my car

Old 10-07-2005, 01:07 AM
ZZ Boy
Originally Posted by drunken1000

There are chances that grind/knoch/clank (what ever you want to call it) can go away after a while but no guarantees.

On my previous Z, even after 4 trannies,3 clevis pin & a clutch pedal assembly, the grind never went away.

On my current Z Roadster, on 1st tranny grind never went away but on 2nd tranny, it has definitely gotten better/smoother. I rarely have any grind now but I still have little knochiness here and there. I am not possitive if its the tranny fluid (Redline MTL 70-80w along with Prolong tranny fluid additive) which is making my gear shift smoother but like I said before, it has definitely gotten better/smoother. I know Redline tranny fluid helps but I don't know how much.

Last edited by ssk0771; 10-07-2005 at 01:10 AM.