G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

What Sounds Like Metal Chains.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Sounds Like Metal Chains.....

i have an 05 6mt coupe with about 1700 miles on it. when i am in say 2nd or 3rd gear going @ ~2500 rpm and i give a lot of gas (almost flooring it) i hear this sound coming from the engine that sounds like metal chains scrapping against the ground or like pieces of metal being shaken in a can...but when the rpm is 3000+ rpm...the noise disappears........any input? normal? something wrong?

another question: what is the best way to launch our G. THANKS!

Old 10-11-2005, 11:26 PM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah that would most likely be your engine knocking.

Old 10-11-2005, 11:32 PM
^ I agree. Maybe you got a bad tank of gas.

Old 11-19-2005, 08:55 PM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
I constantly experience the same problem.. anybody know what's going on? Infiniti says its not pinging and the computer controls all that so they say there's no point checking timing.

Old 11-19-2005, 09:36 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Why not post a third thread? Maybe three times lucky.

Old 11-19-2005, 10:31 PM
Swerving and Weaving
bad tank of gas or detonation. gl

Old 11-19-2005, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bythabay
I constantly experience the same problem.. anybody know what's going on? Infiniti says its not pinging and the computer controls all that so they say there's no point checking timing.
For awhile there, I thought I had the same problem. I had taken my G into Serramonte and over to Oakland Infiniti to resolve the pinging issue. Both dealers could not find anything wrong. I had actually given up on the sound and called it a day, if you will.

However, during my last engine oil consumption test . . . While the service tech was driving my G to the service bays, he noted the very same sounds, which I had described. After some review of the matter, it was determined that it was the rear axle, which will be fixed once the right bolts arrive. These said bolts are on back order, as they are replacing quite a few of these. This may be what some of you are experiencing and thinking that it is engine knock.

Here is the TSB . . .

http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownershi.../ITB05-002.htm

Old 11-19-2005, 11:01 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
G35's start to shake on the corners at about 150 too

Old 11-20-2005, 12:52 AM
Originally Posted by andy2434
For awhile there, I thought I had the same problem. I had taken my G into Serramonte and over to Oakland Infiniti to resolve the pinging issue. Both dealers could not find anything wrong. I had actually given up on the sound and called it a day, if you will.

However, during my last engine oil consumption test . . . While the service tech was driving my G to the service bays, he noted the very same sounds, which I had described. After some review of the matter, it was determined that it was the rear axle, which will be fixed once the right bolts arrive. These said bolts are on back order, as they are replacing quite a few of these. This may be what some of you are experiencing and thinking that it is engine knock.

Here is the TSB . . .

http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownershi.../ITB05-002.htm
could you refer me to the person you worked with so they will already be familiar with the sound and perhaps confirm I am having the same problem?

Old 11-20-2005, 01:41 AM
Super Moderator
could you refer me to the person you worked with so they will already be familiar with the sound and perhaps confirm I am having the same problem?
Bythabay, my service advisor is Peter McConnell. He will most likely have you take a ride with one of the service techs. He wrote up the service slip for the required axle nuts and washers. The parts were on backorder and I have been waiting since 10.25.05.

Good luck to ya and let me know if this is your fix.

Last edited by Andy2434; 11-20-2005 at 01:43 AM.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:26 PM
Peter has got to be one of the best service writers out there. Andy, is there a reference number I can refer to so that Peter knows which tech to send out to confirm I am having the same problem?

Old 11-20-2005, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator
Peter has got to be one of the best service writers out there. Andy, is there a reference number I can refer to so that Peter knows which tech to send out to confirm I am having the same problem?
Just tell them that your rear axle is making clicking sounds. They will have you ride with a service tech to determine the source of the sound. Based on what I was told, they are quite familiar with this issue.

Old 12-19-2005, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator
My G's rear axle bolts finally arrived. Brought the car in early this morning and got the car back after lunch. My G drives like a champ, now. No more of that pinging/clicking noise from the car. It used to make this noise as I was accelerating out of 1st and 2nd and occasionally 3rd gears., which was annoying as hell. Originally, I thought is was the engine knocking. I had taken my G to 2 different dealerships and both said the car was not pinging.

I trust this might help others, whom are experiencing the same.

Old 12-22-2005, 12:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Optional
The Ghost of Christmas Past

Old 12-22-2005, 04:14 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by andy2434
My G's rear axle bolts finally arrived. Brought the car in early this morning and got the car back after lunch. My G drives like a champ, now. No more of that pinging/clicking noise from the car. It used to make this noise as I was accelerating out of 1st and 2nd and occasionally 3rd gears., which was annoying as hell. Originally, I thought is was the engine knocking. I had taken my G to 2 different dealerships and both said the car was not pinging.

I trust this might help others, whom are experiencing the same.
Good job Andy. I had mine done earlier this summer. I could really hear the noise when the windows were down, but I can certainly understand how it could be misdiagnosed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What Sounds Like Metal Chains.....