G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Clear Bra...do I have a problem ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear Bra...do I have a problem ?

My 06 Coupe is due in 2 weeks (hopefully). I just got off the phone with a highly rated Clear Bra installation outfit. My Coupe is Black and they wanted to make it very clear that I can expect some "unavoidable", "adhesion" marks. They were very fortcoming about this and indicated it is absolutely inevitable on black cars.
Here I am not wanting to drive this car any farther than the clear bra installers w/o protection and now this!
They indicated I won't see these "adhesion" marks after I'm 3 feet away so.........???
What do you guy's think. I WANT a clear bra and think what the hell regarding these "marks"...... suggestions and comments PLEASE, especially from any G owners who have Black cars and clear bras. Really need help with this one...THANKS.

Old 10-20-2005, 01:55 PM
I think they mean you will see the clear bra outline on the hood. Its just a simple line that goes across the hood. It will be more noticeable on darker cars but is still worth it compared to stone chips.

Old 10-20-2005, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by C7Performance
I think they mean you will see the clear bra outline on the hood. Its just a simple line that goes across the hood. It will be more noticeable on darker cars but is still worth it compared to stone chips.

Nope, they made it clear that where the material was "stetched to fit" over the various contours that I would se these "adhesion marks" as they referred to them. I'm aware that a visible line will exist where material ends.
They made it very clear to me that BLACK is way more conducive to this characteristic than any other colors. These guy's have a flawless reputation for quality work so I appreciate their honesty. I'm just hoping some others here with black cars will jump in. Thanks for your reply.

Old 10-20-2005, 02:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They are correct. However, it is not as noticeable as you might think. Anyway any marks like that are in the clear bra material and not the paint. I can see them on my Laser Red but only under fluorescent light.

Old 10-20-2005, 02:45 PM
I dont know why they didnt call them stretch marks, but thats basically what they are. They pull it tight to a spot and tack it down, then go work on another part while that gets sticky. When they come back and pull alittle more to the next spot (like a curved surface), it often stretches the material where it is already sticking. Its repeated a bazillion times.

Its unavoidable with any cars that have as much ridges and curves as the G. People say it shows more on dark colors, but light colors show it alot with certain light. Depending on the lighting, yours might look better than mine (on silver).

But... In 2 years of ownership, no one has ever noticed my CB who wasnt standing 1-2ft from the hood, and mine has tons of stretching.

Old 10-20-2005, 02:47 PM
I just picked up an 05 g35. Its black and i had a clear bra installed. First day i washed it after that there was some adhesive type stuff on top of the clear bra that came right off with washing and waxing, i looked very closely all the way around and the paint under the clear bra looks the same as the paint thats not under the clear bra. so i'm not sure what they are talking about, but mine looks great.

Old 10-20-2005, 03:09 PM
mc2
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
there's no way it will be perfect. there's bound to be some marks, but like someone said earlier its a far cry from having hundreds of stone chips..

Old 10-20-2005, 03:17 PM
Where r u located Bigguy?

Old 10-20-2005, 03:25 PM
i just picked up a black G a little over a month ago and had the clear bra installed immediately. At first there were very visible marks on it....more like water marks then stretch marks within the clear bra...supposedly there is a hazing period of 30 days in which all those marks will go away...i gave the car its first wash and wax the past weekend and now its starting to look better... at first i was afraid that the color tone of the black will come out different from the rest of the car....but it blended in pretty nice...either way, the clear bra is definitely more visible on black cars then others...and definitely visible within 2-3 feet...but I do not mind that...

O yeh....it was advised not to put the clear bra on the hood for black cars...i just did the bumper, lip, butt, and handles...

Old 10-20-2005, 03:40 PM
Feeling better already....

Originally Posted by ek68
Where r u located Bigguy?

I'm near KC.
Hey, I'mfeeling better already thanks to the responses. I say WTH i'd feel a lot worse looking at a bunch of stone chips!
It's "YES" to the CB . Full speed ahead..... now if my little baby (6MT) just get's here as promised (10/29) I'll be sooooo happy.
Reply's most appreciated and what a great resource this is!

Old 10-20-2005, 11:40 PM
Hey Bigguy, i install paint protection film and what your guy was telling you was that on dark colored cars occasionally you may see adhesive marks. It happens sometimes, but easier to see on dark cars. From 2-3 feet away you wont see it. You may get none. He was just being truthful, unlike some people that tell you its invisable, its not. It is well worth the investment.

Christopher
Pristine Autowerks
3m Certified Installer

Old 10-21-2005, 12:20 AM
do all your clearbra end right AT the edge or does it end about 1/8th of an inch before the edge?

Old 10-21-2005, 12:35 AM
any body know of a place down in so cal?

actually, one that you'd recommend?

Old 10-21-2005, 12:47 AM
I have a black coupe and you do see the marks a little bit. But it sure beats stone chips. As you drive the car you will notice little nicks in the clear bra. Those are from stones hitting the front of your car. You can only imagine what that stone would have done to your paint if you didn't have the clear bra on.

Old 10-21-2005, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by techi13
any body know of a place down in so cal?

actually, one that you'd recommend?
I just had mine done 2 weeks ago and he did a great job. He's not listed in the phone book and only does referrals. I don't think there is anybody in the U.S. and Canada who is better than this guy. Just looking at all the exotics he's done is a testiment to his work. Enzos, Lambos,Porsche Carrera GTs.
PM me if you're in SoCal.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra...do I have a problem ?