G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

switched to synthetic today at 7250

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb switched to synthetic today at 7250

Today I made the switch. Mobil One 5w30 Synthetic. I went to AutoZone and saw that there are now two types of Mobil One synthetic oil; the normal kind and the extended performance kind. The extended performance claimed 15,000 mile oil change intervals. While I decided against getting the extended performance oil, I did end up buying the extended performance oil filter. Again, AutoZone offered both the Mobil One extended performance oil filter as well as the normal Mobil One oil filter. I took both filters out of the box and examined them side by side. I didn't notice any apparent differences between the two, though the box said the extended performance version included double the filtering power, or something to that extent. Also, they were the same price.

I’ve read various posts where people claim it’s still recommended to change the oil every 3000 – 3750, even with synthetic oil, mainly because filters must be changed before the oil. In other words people are claiming the Mobil one filter goes bad before the Mobil one synthetic oil. In my last car (vw passat) I ran synthetic and changed the oil/filter every 5000 miles... Some may say that this may be pushing the limits of the filter; I was aware of this and just didn't care. This car is different. I like the 5000 mile mark, so perhaps this filter will allow me to get there without any worries…

Anyone care to comment? I’ve got a few thousand miles to decide.

Old 11-12-2005, 05:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice man, i just did my 1st oil change with 5w 30 mobile 1 today as well

car is slightly smoother at idle and acceleration, will change @ 3k intervals

dont push the limits of a filter, its cheap and inexpensive insurance for our engines

Old 11-12-2005, 05:42 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I think you're on the right track with the Mobil 1 synthetic......5k for the oil and the extended life filter you have will do just fine.
Enjoy.
C.

Old 11-13-2005, 03:00 AM
since youre shelling out the big bucks for oil and filters, why not spend $20 for a Blackstone test to make sure the interval you choose is ok? Since I do mostly short trip city driving, fuel dilution is what prevents me from doing 5k ODIs. From Blackstone tests, some people were getting acceptable 5k drains. The data I've seen makes over 5K a bit questionable, even with all hwy.

Odd thing really, our Pathfinder has 4qt oil capacity and will do much better with higher ODIs. The G has 5qt capacity but the thimble sized filter and really isnt happy past 5K. Rather than the filtering (as we can still use the older/larger VQ filter), I'm thinking its our light ring pressure that fouls our oil faster than you'd expect. Plus, I read that the VQ3.5 had a thinner water jacket. Perhaps the oil sees higher temps than the other VQs. I've not seen a vq35 apart, cant confirm that.

I'm less inclined to go with the ultra filtering. I'm more interested in filters that offer good filtering with the lowest pressure drop. I've chosen the K&N based on tests I've seen on Bobistheoilguy forums. It had one of the lowest drops, but has good filtering. The PureOne appears to be a good filter that really filters VERY well, but has a higher pressure drop (as you'd expect). Still, the Mobil & PureOne exceeded OEM specs, so I wouldnt really worry too much. My main criteria is not to have cardboard end caps, like our new VQ filter

Old 11-13-2005, 03:02 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TimW
since youre shelling out the big bucks for oil and filters, why not spend $20 for a Blackstone test to make sure the interval you choose is ok? Since I do mostly short trip city driving, fuel dilution is what prevents me from doing 5k ODIs. From Blackstone tests, some people were getting acceptable 5k drains. The data I've seen makes over 5K a bit questionable, even with all hwy.

Odd thing really, our Pathfinder has 4qt oil capacity and will do much better with higher ODIs. The G has 5qt capacity but the thimble sized filter and really isnt happy past 5K. Rather than the filtering (as we can still use the older/larger VQ filter), I'm thinking its our light ring pressure that fouls our oil faster than you'd expect. Plus, I read that the VQ3.5 had a thinner water jacket. Perhaps the oil sees higher temps than the other VQs. I've not seen a vq35 apart, cant confirm that.

I'm less inclined to go with the ultra filtering. I'm more interested in filters that offer good filtering with the lowest pressure drop. I've chosen the K&N based on tests I've seen on Bobistheoilguy forums. It had one of the lowest drops, but has good filtering. The PureOne appears to be a good filter that really filters VERY well, but has a higher pressure drop (as you'd expect). Still, the Mobil & PureOne exceeded OEM specs, so I wouldnt really worry too much. My main criteria is not to have cardboard end caps, like our new VQ filter
tried that nissan 99 maxima filter?

Old 11-13-2005, 07:49 AM
i made my change to mobil 1 synthetic at 7200 also

never noticed a diff

Old 11-13-2005, 08:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The biggest advantage of synthetic oil is that it enables you to significantly extend the oil change interval. If for whatever reason, that's not the case with the G35, then IMO you guys are waisting your money. The oil change interval on Porsches and BMWs using synthetic oil is over 10K miles. I believe that Infinti uses a synthetic blend that is supposed to be good for 5K miles which seems to be consistent with the capabilities of the oil filter.

Old 11-13-2005, 11:00 AM
Living in Arizona, where engine temps get very very hot, i find comfort in synthetic oil...

Old 11-13-2005, 11:46 AM
If you use synthetic you do not have to change your oil every 3-3.5k mi. Use an AMS oil filter which i found to be the best & you can change it every 5K mi.or 6 mo. whatever comes first.

Old 11-13-2005, 04:34 PM
I use M1 in all my cars. I change the filter every 3K miles (adding the lost quart or so) and the oil and filter again at 6K intervals. Like everyone has said, the weakness is the filter. The oil can last much, much longer. 6K is still conservative for synthetic.

Old 11-13-2005, 06:05 PM
AMS oil filter

If you use an AMS oil filter you can easily go 5K mi. I did so in my last car from 3K till the day I sold it at 30K & never had a problem. My father uses it and still does so today. He puts so little mi. on his car we do his oil changes every 6 months months or so. Neither once of us ever burnt a drop of oil & both engines are as smooth as day one. The reason why other filters go bad is because they use a card-board type filtration system that can brake apart over time. The AMS filter uses a synthetic mesh & I believe is bound on either side by steal mesh. It also has a by-pass & a anti drain back feature. You will spend twice as much on this filter, but remember it last twice as long and filters much better. I posted the link below.

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/sdf.aspx

Just my .02

Last edited by 05GCOUPE6MT; 11-13-2005 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:54 PM
KLN
Just a quick question...
I use mobil1 synthetic 5w30 with an oem filter. I wanted to change my oil every 5,000 miles, but it seems like it takes me longer than 6 months to drive that many miles. Should I be changing the oil at 6 months intervals since I hit that mark before the 5,000 miles?

Old 11-14-2005, 03:12 AM
nissan dealership did my first oil change @ 3,200miles and i had them pour in synthetic 5W30 i beleive, Castrol, not sure if they had Mobil.

would it be a BIG diference between castrol and mobil?

by the way, if i'm not mistaken, the little windshield sticker says whenever it hits 3,500 miles to bring the car in for another oil change...

Old 11-14-2005, 04:06 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by sky350GT
nissan dealership did my first oil change @ 3,200miles and i had them pour in synthetic 5W30 i beleive, Castrol, not sure if they had Mobil.

would it be a BIG diference between castrol and mobil?

by the way, if i'm not mistaken, the little windshield sticker says whenever it hits 3,500 miles to bring the car in for another oil change...
Castrol sytec oil is pretty good. They just use a diff formula to make there synthetic.
Penzoil they use too much detergent in there oil, so this result to poor lubrication. Plus side(Clean motor no sludge) BAd side(burnt cams bearings).
Q-lube synthetic they use cheap filteration in there Lab
( I know i use to work for them)

Research oil viscosity so, u will know whats the right time to change your oil car.
Dealer will say that you dont need to oil change your car till 5-6k this is only half truth and your local oil change company will tell you 3,000 miles also half truth.

Oil viscosity can brake down from 1,000-6,000miles it all defend how you drive your car and what is the temp in your area.

Old 11-14-2005, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by Klumzyee
tried that nissan 99 maxima filter?
no, I havent.. but I should have. I was afraid it was only a matter of time before the longer filter uses cardboard as well.

To others: I dont think the small filter completely explains the poor condition of our oil after 5K. For one, many people have experimented with the old VQ filter and/or aftermarket in the larger size. Results didnt improve. Second, we see a sharp increase in consumption after 5K, this trends with what I've see in my own car with increased fuel dilution and lower flash point, even with Mobil1.

Given our MPG, it's pretty safe to assuming we're running very rich at times (like when open loop for emissions). Combined with the new lighter ring pressure, personally I'm thinking that is the culprit behind our inability to do 10K like the old VQ30. Or even 7.5K with good results.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: switched to synthetic today at 7250