G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

3rd brake light?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd brake light?

I had my car tinted about 3 weeks ago and the guy removed the brake light to tint the back window. the other day, i noticed that the light is off, so I removed the housing and found the light disconnected and wires neatly folded inside the housing. I connected the light and it works, but I was curious, since I have a spoiler with a brake light on it, maybe the car comes with the rear window brake light disconnected straight from the factory. I think i seen another G with the spoiler and his third brake light was off. I figure the coupes that are wingless, have the brake light connected. I hated the look of 3 brake lights going on at once and decided to disconnected again. Just out of curiosity, if you have a coupe with the factory spoiler does your third light go on?

Old 11-15-2005, 02:43 PM
I've got a coupe with a factory spoiler and don't have a brake light in the back windshield. I believe coupes with spoilers and the rear windshield brake light had the spoiler installed by the dealer.

Old 11-15-2005, 03:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^^ Correct. I bought my 05 with the Aero kit (installed by the factory) and it never came with the third brakelight. I haven't looked very closely, but i don't think there are any holes to mount one even if i wanted it.

I've seen Gcoupes that have all of em light up at the same time, and it's just a bit too much. Looks weird.

Old 11-15-2005, 03:07 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by O'sG
I had my car tinted about 3 weeks ago and the guy removed the brake light to tint the back window. the other day, i noticed that the light is off, so I removed the housing and found the light disconnected and wires neatly folded inside the housing. I connected the light and it works, but I was curious, since I have a spoiler with a brake light on it, maybe the car comes with the rear window brake light disconnected straight from the factory. I think i seen another G with the spoiler and his third brake light was off. I figure the coupes that are wingless, have the brake light connected. I hated the look of 3 brake lights going on at once and decided to disconnected again. Just out of curiosity, if you have a coupe with the factory spoiler does your third light go on?
Your spoiler was prolly installed at the dealer, so they just disconnected the other 3rd brakelight.
C.

Old 11-15-2005, 03:08 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
...................... since I have a spoiler with a brake light on it, maybe the car comes with the rear window brake light disconnected straight from the factory. ...
+1 what the others said...
It was likley disconnected by the dealer (not factory)
In some areas it's not legal to have 2 high mount (3rd) brake lights.

Old 11-16-2005, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the info

Old 11-16-2005, 01:16 PM
Love Poker!!!
dealer installed mine, disconnected the third brake light so only my spoiler light comes on. They said it uses more of your battery when you have four lights, ??????? but, looks better w/three lights, not the fourth one imo

Old 11-17-2005, 09:03 AM
Has anyone removed the 3rd brake light? If so, do you have to unbolt it from the trunk or does it just kind of pop out? How big of a hole does it leave?

Old 11-17-2005, 10:20 AM
it just pops out, just push a little towards window and lift up
it leaves a hole about 3x4 and I think 4 or 6 little holes around where the plastic hooks go into

Old 11-17-2005, 01:31 PM
it just pops out, just push a little towards window and lift up
it leaves a hole about 3x4 and I think 4 or 6 little holes around where the plastic hooks go into

Sweet thanks for the info. I put a spoiler on so I don't need the 3rd brake light anymore.

I am putting a sirius in there soon and was hoping the hole was small enough for the antenna to cover it up, but I guess it's not. Do you know if it's possible to buy a replacement rear deck?

Old 11-17-2005, 02:33 PM
I am sure there is a replacement part, but I dont think its worth the hassle/money
Just disconnect it and leave it in, thats what I did

Old 11-17-2005, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator
The dealer disconnected my G's 3rd brake light after they installed my rear spoiler. I have been thinking about removing the 3rd brake light to make cleaning the rear window easier. I need to look into it and find something to cover up the hole.

Old 11-17-2005, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by kajoob
Has anyone removed the 3rd brake light? If so, do you have to unbolt it from the trunk or does it just kind of pop out? How big of a hole does it leave?
I have removed mine, but crafted a pretty simple solution to cover it up.

I measured the area to cover it up, and cut a piece of thin cardboard. I then went to an arts and craft store to find pieces of cloth that matched the color of the fabric that surrounded the brake light housing. I then used a glue stick to glue the cloth onto the cut piece of cardboard. To make it stick securely I used 4 pieces of velcro on the bottom of the cardboard, and it doesn't move at all. It looks great, and is an easy way to cover up those nasty holes that removing it leaves behind. From the outside you can't even notice it, and hardly even realize it's there from the inside.

Old 11-17-2005, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator
^^ Great idea! . . .

Old 11-18-2005, 02:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone know how to take the rear deck off? The Brake light just pushed off? I'm replacing my non brakelight rear deck with a rearbrake light installed rear deck since I'm shaving my rear wing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 3rd brake light?