G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Having Fun in Snow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 11:57 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Optional
Originally Posted by spirogyro
If I have to, I'll just go slow, be cautious, and save about $1500.
Why would you bother saving a measley $1500 vs the sticker price you paid for your car? WTF kinda logic is that? And if you're saying that dropping $1500 is too much to spend on something to make your winter driving safer, then why are you driving a $35K+ car?

Go trade in your G for a Legacy or something and stop driving on summer tires and endangering the lives of other drivers.

Old 12-09-2005, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ yeah, but is that safe? Anyway, I just drove in my summer 18" OEM's yesterday in about 7 inches of snow and it was quiet fun. I guess all you need is a little experience and patience, and you'll be fine. Yes, it took me 2 1/2 hours to get home which would of taken usually 40 mins, but today my pilots performed well, not one slip. So, here in chicago I'm gonna say that we average about 5-10 BAD snow days like yesterday, I am not buying a snow setup, I just won't drive. If I have to, I'll just go slow, be cautious, and save about $1500. I'm sure it's better to have winter tires, but as the person above stated, he still slipped.
Bro sorry to say but thats the dumbest comment there to save 1500... Summer tires are for summers only... So your one of those idiots on the rode driving at 15 mph cuz you still have ur summers on eh.. Anyways, I really don't understand ur logic, cuz to same a few hundred, you can seriously hurt urself or others.

Old 12-09-2005, 01:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ yeah, but is that safe? Anyway, I just drove in my summer 18" OEM's yesterday in about 7 inches of snow and it was quiet fun. I guess all you need is a little experience and patience, and you'll be fine. Yes, it took me 2 1/2 hours to get home which would of taken usually 40 mins, but today my pilots performed well, not one slip. So, here in chicago I'm gonna say that we average about 5-10 BAD snow days like yesterday, I am not buying a snow setup, I just won't drive. If I have to, I'll just go slow, be cautious, and save about $1500. I'm sure it's better to have winter tires, but as the person above stated, he still slipped.
There is a reason summer tires are called SUMMER tires. It means it's not meant to be used during winter. Use some common sense. Even if you go slow, you won't be able to stop or turn. You got lucky that you got home without getting into an accident. Experience and patience doesn't do S!HT when you have NO TRACTION. If you wanna go kill yourself with summer tires in snow, go ahead but don't inform others on this site that it is fine to do so when it is not.

Old 12-09-2005, 01:28 PM
Thumbs down

yeah seriously look at the tread on summer tires. there is no groves taht can grab the snow its in more of a V pattern to help rain exit. dont risk it man. not worth it. or just dont ever drive, like u did that day.

Old 12-09-2005, 01:49 PM
Our summer tires are basically useless in the cold or snow because they don't have any traction. Please spare $1500 for a winter set/up and drive like an SUV before you might damage your car

Old 12-09-2005, 02:14 PM
Nope. 245 is a bit stretched, but it will fit on 9.5 inch wheel. It was just that Chirs was selling 235F 255R barely used snow tires for great price, and I couldn't pass it up. If I had a choice, I would have went with the stock sizes.

Old 12-09-2005, 02:37 PM
Go ahead and save your money - until you hit something.

That's what insurance is for, any car if you drive like an idiot can slide and hit something.

So your one of those idiots on the rode driving at 15 mph cuz you still have ur summers on eh

everyone last night was driving 15mph.

go ahead but don't inform others on this site that it is fine to do so when it is not

I didn't say thats it's fine, and I never told anyone else to do it, I just said that that's what I did and am gonna do.

or just dont ever drive, like u did that day.

Exactly! I'd rather stay home than drive in it anyway.

Old 12-09-2005, 02:46 PM
I drove through the Chicago snowtorm last night, and didn't have any problems. I have the Blizzak LM22 and ASA 17" setup from Tirerack. There was about 6" down by the time I drove home from work, and the streets had not been cleared of one flake by the plows at that time. The two time my wheels slipped (a little bit) were crossing over an elevated train crossing from a standstill, and pulling into my garage from the alley, which has a very slight slope. The back end turned out a little bit going into the garage, but it did find the traction pretty quickly. Later on, another car was pulling into their garage in the same alley, and backed in, with a fwd car. I helped dig out the snow and push them into their garage after they got stuck. That says something about how much the tires can make a difference.
The traction control did put in a lot of time on the short drive home. It had a quiet clicking sound when it was operating, and I don't know what that was from, since I have never heard it do that before. Compared to driving the summer tires on the slighest dusting of snow, there were no rear-end slide outs, and I never felt like the car was uncontrollable at reasonable speeds.
I live a few miles west and north of Midway airport, where the plane skidded through the wall and into the streets. I wonder if they still had the summer tires on that plane?

Old 12-09-2005, 02:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's what insurance is for, any car if you drive like an idiot can slide and hit something.

So your one of those idiots on the rode driving at 15 mph cuz you still have ur summers on eh

go ahead but don't inform others on this site that it is fine to do so when it is not

I didn't say thats it's fine, and I never told anyone else to do it, I just said that that's what I did and am gonna do.

"I didn't say thats it's fine, and I never told anyone else to do it, I just said that that's what I did and am gonna do."

By implying that all one needs is patience and experience, you implied that one could safely drive with the summer tires. The responses to your post show that many of us had a problem with your statement. Most of us care about the people on this forum in some way or another and we certainly do not want anyone to be hurt or to hurt someone else because of stupid advice on this forum. The summer tires are DANGEROUS in the snow and cold and no one on this forum should try to imply or state otherwise.

That having been said, I'm glad you made it home safely.

Old 12-09-2005, 02:53 PM
Thanks! but I think you missed my point totally. My point was that I am not going to buy winter tires, because I won't be driving it when it is snowing. Which is why I said that it only snows "BAD" like it did yesterday a good handful of times in chicago. The streets are totally clean today and I had absolutly no problem at all today. If I lived up in Canada where snow is frequent, then there is no way I would have summer gear on my car.

Old 12-09-2005, 03:09 PM
Do you guys recommend putting sandbags in the trunk?

Old 12-09-2005, 04:01 PM

I hate to repeat what others have said but your logic once again is stupid. First off, if insurance finds out you were driving in the snow with summer tires, I highly doubt they will cover your claims. That's like driving into a freakin wall on purpose and telling insurance to cover your ***. Like any business, they're in it to collect money, not to give it away due to negligence by the operator of the vehicle. Also, like most everyone, doesn't it cost money such as a deductible if you were involved in an accident where you were at fault? You have more to lose in case of an accident so why don't you do us and yourself a favor by at least being responsible behind the wheel? Driving in the snow with summer tires, no matter how cautious you are is dangerous. Sure there are some that don't know this but you admit you know this is dangerous yet you still do it. Shell out the $1000-1,500 for snow tires/steel wheels cause like insurance, you don't know if you'll get in an accident but you still pay for insurance. Same goes for snow tires, you don't know if you'll get stuck in a storm. You buy it for your safety and others around you.

Old 12-09-2005, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by CamTan1
Do you guys recommend putting sandbags in the trunk?

SInce the G is pretty well balanced you shouldn't need the sand bags. A good set of winter tires should do the job, personally myself I don't use them. Just have to respect the road conditions and be easy on the heavy foot (have to retrain myself for winters). Best of luck... and drive safe!!!

Old 12-09-2005, 05:14 PM
The winter tire and wheel package is about $1000-1100 from tirerack last time I checked. It's not even that expensive... with summer tires, you shouldn't even drive in cold weather below 30F because the tires harden up and won't have traction.

The insurance does cover it if you get into an accident in snow with summer tires. However, why wait for an accident to happen when you can prevent it? Why endanger your life and others? spriogyro, I just don't undrestand your logic at all. Read your post again. I just can't understand why you're risking damaging your car, yourself, and others when you can prevent it. Insurance will cover it? I guess people like you are the reason why our insurance rate is so high

Originally Posted by spriogyro
Read that again and tell me you weren't implying that it was fine to drive in snow with summer tires. You said if you have to, you'll just go slow, be cautious, and save about $1500. Well, all I gotta say to you is good luck, because you won't be able to do anything in snow without any traction. Last time, you just got lucky. If you can't dish out $1100 for winter wheels and tires, then maybe $35k car is too much for you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Having Fun in Snow