G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

3.9 final drive

Old 01-16-2006, 12:43 PM
Modded Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jtesensky
No not really, actually we on our way to stocking that part. I think the enthusiasm is terrific but I just don't understand the whole conflict of egos. It's great to have an intelligent debate about something but it's just sad to see people get personal i.e. where degrees are earned from and calling people names like idiot. The only reason I chimed in was to add a little lightheartedness that's all. C’mon guys save the low blows for when posting on Club Si!
Good save- I was planning on making a few more purchases via EverythingG35, and up until this response I was ready to start looking at other vendors.

Old 01-16-2006, 12:47 PM
Thanks! Like I said I didn't mean any dis-credit to the product or the point of the argument, I'm just not a big fan of ego battles...

Old 01-16-2006, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by jtesensky
I think the enthusiasm is terrific but I just don't understand the whole conflict of egos. It's great to have an intelligent debate about something but it's just sad to see people get personal i.e. where degrees are earned from and calling people names like idiot. The only reason I chimed in was to add a little lightheartedness that's all. C’mon guys save the low blows for when posting on Club Si!
I didn't take MechEE's question as one of personal attack, I think he was genuinely curious - and I wasn't offended. I would consider the interchange between he and I fairly civil, especially for this forum. We obviously completely disagree, but are explaining our cases in a civil format, while also providing information for others to learn by. No big deal, and no battling of egos in my opinion.

Much better than the typical "Yo, stuoopid furktwad, those 20s will git you more p00ntang than any 6500K headlights ever could, idiot."

Old 01-16-2006, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by MechEE
I have a friend here at Stanford in the MBA program that's often bitching about not enjoying the coursework (one did mechanical with me in undergrad). To each their own, though I'm sure business is the way to go for the $$.

Actually , my brother got his MBA and found that companies prefer people with hands on experience more so then people with the Masters in business.

Old 01-16-2006, 07:06 PM
MechEE's modification feedback:

Air intake - useless
Exhaust - useless
Pulley - really useless
ECU - useless
Headers - useless
3.9 final drive - useless, stock setup is faster on the strip and on a track
Turbo - useless (the ground force is greater with a stock setup)
Sway bars - useless ( ruins the cars frame after 500k miles)
Stock - best way to go

This is based on all your posts lol

Old 01-16-2006, 09:17 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fx45copper

Air intake - useless
Exhaust - useless
Pulley - really useless
ECU - useless
Headers - useless
Stock - best way to go

Interesting report. Can't agree with much though.

Old 01-16-2006, 09:20 PM
z1n
Actually , my brother got his MBA and found that companies prefer people with hands on experience more so then people with the Masters in business.
+1
book smarts vs. common sense

Old 01-16-2006, 09:29 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by trebien
WTF?

MechEE - no offense, but you've been wrong on the technical merits in other posts (I'm not gonna dig em up)... and then you go on to back it up with a flawed explanation, which is even more humorous. If you don't know, don't post up. This is how misinformation gets spread around.

Under most circumstances, the 3.9 gears will yield faster acceleration up to their top speed (maxed out) due to a better gear ratio putting more power down to the ground from the engine. So unless you race to 165, and the 3.9s only top out at 155, the 3.9s will be faster.

The only time they won't be faster is when one car is in 2nd, about to redline, and the car with 3.9s has to be in third already (same redline). That acceleration advantage will only last for a split second, until the original car has to shift to 3rd. So, yes... for that minute amount of time, the original gears will be faster. But that is a very small subset of circumstances.
+1.

Old 01-17-2006, 12:53 AM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MechEE -
I got to page 2 before I had to respond. The more I read your posts, the more you put me off. I don't care about your experience, or your education. Your obvious superiority and elitism issues make me skip your posts out of hand. If you really want to educate people, then *educate* them, rather than tear them down. You are extremely dogmatic, and when someone challenges you, you have hide behind your degree. I've worked with many people like you in the past, and every one of them had one thing in common: in the end, each became ostracized, wondering where all the stupid, lesser people went.

Old 01-17-2006, 01:49 AM
MechEE crashes our dreams of any mod actually doing anything but ruining the car or making it slower

Old 01-17-2006, 01:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1

i used to really focus on education, thinking it would land me a good job - i wanted to do a masters in actuarial science. Then I pulled my head out of my *** and realized if i could sell my current skills, i'd be a lot further off than sticking my head in a book. Net result - i'm 24 and a director of portfolio analytics at a wealth management firm

selling yourself + actual skills > book skills.

now granted, if you have no skills and can't sell youself, higher education won't hurt you, but for those who can sell, it's a waste.

Old 01-17-2006, 01:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Air intake - useless
Exhaust - useless
Pulley - really useless
ECU - useless
Headers - useless
Stock - best way to go

haha, isn't that the truth - it seems that every mod he has some mechanical engineering formula to prove it's useless

Old 01-17-2006, 04:44 AM

Air intake - useless
Exhaust - useless
Pulley - really useless
ECU - useless
Headers - useless
Stock - best way to go

Hillarious. And this coming from the person who thinks that shedding a couple pounds off of their crank pulley dropped their 30-50 mph acceleration times by 25%, but not because "horsepower has anything to do with it", but because "the crankshaft is turning easier due to the lighter weighted pulley hence causing faster acceleration."

And for the record, my last car I sold before getting the G35 had a fully custom low-compression turbo setup built and installed by me, a custom ECU program decoded and tuned by me (yes, I cracked the ECU checksum algorithms and located maps for ignition / fuel through trial and error), stock 3.39 final drive replaced by 3.94 final drive (for "racing" from a stop) and then back to stock (for forced induction), adjustable swaybars installed and adjusted by me on a track, I could go on and on, so save your BS.

Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
MechEE -
I got to page 2 before I had to respond. The more I read your posts, the more you put me off. I don't care about your experience, or your education. Your obvious superiority and elitism issues make me skip your posts out of hand. If you really want to educate people, then *educate* them, rather than tear them down. You are extremely dogmatic, and when someone challenges you, you have hide behind your degree. I've worked with many people like you in the past, and every one of them had one thing in common: in the end, each became ostracized, wondering where all the stupid, lesser people went.
Give me a break. Your comments wouldn't happen to have anything to do with me poking fun at your wife's comments in Randy's post, would they? Anyway, nowhere have I ever "hid" behind a degree or have any reason to. For all of my opinions I have attempted to explain them in such a way that they are as intuitively clear as possible (not always the case I'm sure). I can think of just two instances where this degree issue that you must be speaking of has come up (once with caelric and once with trebien), and in both cases it was in response to the partial defense of their argument with the fact that they had some degree, and it was never "listen to me I have a degree", it was always "oh that's great that you have that, I have something similar as well, we have something in common." In either case, no big deal if you were either of the two parties involved.

MechEE crashes our dreams of any mod actually doing anything but ruining the car or making it slower
You must still be really disgruntled about that pulley.

Last edited by MechEE; 01-17-2006 at 05:58 AM.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:17 AM
Originally Posted by z1n
+1
book smarts vs. common sense
For sure. If you get too caught up in the books you'll fail to recognize where reality diverges from theory. Models with invalid assumptions are worthless...

Hands on experience in business is key. And once you're been there a while, the company will generally pay for you to go get your MBA. In fact, it's virtually impossible to get in to a decent MBA program without years of prior experience. The MBA is about making connections and the degree label, that's about it. There's almost nothing in the coursework that you can't pick up with a decent textbook.

Originally Posted by 99atlantic
+1

i used to really focus on education, thinking it would land me a good job - i wanted to do a masters in actuarial science. Then I pulled my head out of my *** and realized if i could sell my current skills, i'd be a lot further off than sticking my head in a book. Net result - i'm 24 and a director of portfolio analytics at a wealth management firm

selling yourself + actual skills > book skills.

now granted, if you have no skills and can't sell youself, higher education won't hurt you, but for those who can sell, it's a waste.
If you weren't forced to go the high school, would you have gone? People in higher education in the sciences and engineering aren't there for the money (there isn't much), they're there because they have a love for it.

Last edited by MechEE; 01-17-2006 at 05:35 AM.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:20 AM
Oh yeah, and the snow in Tahoe was awesome. Those Potenza RE050As sure suck in icy snow. I'd like to give a quick shout-out to the all-mighty God for creating traction control and snow chains.

Anybody have some nice resolution RPM vs torque dyno data for an '05 6MT to help with some plots?

Last edited by MechEE; 01-17-2006 at 05:29 AM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 3.9 final drive