G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

z tube+ k&n filter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 words: placebo effect. Enough said.

Most intake systems, you'll lost some low end. I noticed that with the last 2 cars I had. I saw some independent testing done once where it showed just the K&N drop in filter gave you the most gains while a whole intake system brought some numbers down. Who knows. All cars are built different.

Old 12-28-2005, 08:55 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down

You know what, I'm about ready to take my OEM filter out, Replace it with a new OEM and call it a Day.

This BS is killing me. I've never heard of so many DIFFERENT .02's (which is good that people are voicing theirs) on which intake to get.

Too many choices, and too many non-fact statements, not enough "Proof will set you Free" Dyno results for me. Especially for the "Bang for Buck".

Most I hear is about the added "Totally Awesome" Noise factor. Which is cool, but that's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for HP/TQ gains. I was just mislead by myself with my other Car when the AEM CIA intake I installed made a big difference in performance in that car, and I mean BIG.

Switching to Plenum spacers for my First Mod.

-Frustrated

Last edited by WhiteonWheat; 12-28-2005 at 08:57 PM.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WhiteonWheat
You know what, I'm about ready to take my OEM filter out, Replace it with a new OEM and call it a Day.

This BS is killing me. I've never heard of some many DIFFERENT .02's (which is good that people are voicing theirs) on which intake to get. Too many choices, too many non-fact statements, not enough "Proof will set you Free" Dyno results.

Most I hear is about the added "Totally Awesome" Noise factor. Which is cool, but that's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for HP/TQ gains.

Switching to Plenium spacers for my First Mod.

-Frustrated

Old 12-28-2005, 09:13 PM

This BS is killing me. I've never heard of so many DIFFERENT .02's (which is good that people are voicing theirs) on which intake to get.

Too many choices, and too many non-fact statements, not enough "Proof will set you Free" Dyno results for me. Especially for the "Bang for Buck".

Most I hear is about the added "Totally Awesome" Noise factor. Which is cool, but that's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for HP/TQ gains. I was just mislead by myself with my other Car when the AEM CIA intake I installed made a big difference in performance in that car, and I mean BIG.

-Frustrated
Don't be frustrated. K&N / Z-Tube is a very cheap mod. Try it and if you don't like it - just install the OEM back.

Old 12-28-2005, 09:16 PM
Thumbs up

nice work 99

Old 12-28-2005, 11:39 PM
Don't be frustrated. K&N / Z-Tube is a very cheap mod. Try it and if you don't like it - just install the OEM back.
Dude, I wish I had money to burn.

Thanks for the Dyno. Is that from K&N or from your run? I'm assuming K&N's own advertising since it's got their logo all over this thing.

Old 12-29-2005, 12:58 AM

-Frustrated
You're getting frustrated over this ****? Why don't you try it out and if you don't like it, sell it. Don't be all pissy cause you're getting different response. It's minimal difference. Your gain/loss aren't THAT big. Geeze. It's a $40 filter. If you wanna 'feel' some gains, get some high flow cats or maybe a plenum spacer.

My $0.02 cents,
Jeff

Last edited by vstypicals; 12-29-2005 at 01:00 AM.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's not worth the headache . . . Leave it stock.

Old 12-29-2005, 01:14 AM
THE BATMOBILE
search it...........not even worth talking about anymore...........stop beating a topic thats already dead

Old 12-29-2005, 02:17 AM
Dude, I wish I had money to burn.

Thanks for the Dyno. Is that from K&N or from your run? I'm assuming K&N's own advertising since it's got their logo all over this thing.
it was some run somebody did back in 2002 when k&n was doing market research on the car......so it's not a k&n owned dyno per-say, just somebody who brought his car to them, they installed the filter and dynoed it to see how it performed

Old 12-29-2005, 02:41 AM
Hi i went through the same frustration (alhtough not voiced on the board before) over the intakes for my g35. What makes it even more interesting is that i have a rev-up engine which means that what applies to non revups (e.g. the dyno posted in this thread) might not apply to me. Moreover, even if the intake adds 2 hp up top, that's not what a revup needs, it needs torque and power down low. So i decided my first mod will be the mrev. After that maybe cats, headers and a pulley. maybe.

But then, i go on the Z boards and it seems like everyone's got an intake, and those guys are serious about performance.

Wait till you start looking at exhausts. Everyone's goin on about HKS hi power, at $1500 before shipping and install and like a 6month waiting list, and then people post that it adds marginal hp (but it adds a nice sound). I just don't get it.

Old 12-29-2005, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin
Hi i went through the same frustration (alhtough not voiced on the board before) over the intakes for my g35. What makes it even more interesting is that i have a rev-up engine which means that what applies to non revups (e.g. the dyno posted in this thread) might not apply to me. Moreover, even if the intake adds 2 hp up top, that's not what a revup needs, it needs torque and power down low. So i decided my first mod will be the mrev. After that maybe cats, headers and a pulley. maybe.

But then, i go on the Z boards and it seems like everyone's got an intake, and those guys are serious about performance.

Wait till you start looking at exhausts. Everyone's goin on about HKS hi power, at $1500 before shipping and install and like a 6month waiting list, and then people post that it adds marginal hp (but it adds a nice sound). I just don't get it.
$1500 for an exhaust....bwahahhahaha. a decent performance shop can build you your own custom exhaust for 1/2 that that will be far better.

Old 12-29-2005, 06:55 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by andy2434
It's not worth the headache . . . Leave it stock.

Agreed since it's pretty obvious he's not going to be easy to satisfy.

Old 12-29-2005, 08:21 PM
I've seen many threads about the Ztube and K&N combo but what about adding only the Ztube ? will it yield any gains?

Old 12-29-2005, 09:11 PM
vstypicals,

You're too sweet.

I see your point, but yet I am frustrated over the whole topic. Buying and selling parts is not always easy, b/c once you spend the dough on it and then don't like it, guess what, it's now called "used", and you loose a good chunk of change for your time. That's why you are here.....errrr, I mean others that are polite and helpful. See we can exchange information here on this board and help each other with our experiences and knowledge. Or was I wrong? Sh*t did I go to the "people like to whine and waste my time posting stupid responses" site? Dam*n, I do that sometimes...

Anyways, still enjoying chatting and learning. Horse is dead? Maybe I'll throw it in the trunk then for atleast a ONE "H" P gain! and move on to spacers and high flow cats like suggested.....pppp please.

Intakes like the guy said about the Z Clubs, they are a good quick easy (or atleast I once thought) "bolt on" mod...let's keep the discussion going and maybe we can get somewhere with this Mystery...

P.s. Nismo wouldn't make an intake for Sh*ts and Giggles would they? Well, they do like taking my money, so who knows, LOL!!

Last edited by WhiteonWheat; 12-29-2005 at 09:15 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: z tube+ k&n filter