G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Carputer power recommendations!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gizsf
The in-car install itself had taken me about 2 days. The most time consuming thing though was all the research and planning before hand, which I had started a few months before.
As far as the opus and other similar units, they are ran from a constant power source like the battery generally or through a tank circuit with a lead-acid battery. The unit I use sends a signal to the carputer to turn on or off depending on the key in the ignition. Basiclly as you turn on the car, the computer sees it as you pressing the power button on the front of a pc and boots up. When you pull the key out, it reacts as if you were shutting down windows through windows. It doesn't use a capacitor for extra run-time, but it does stablize my voltage to around 12v constant even when cranking the engine on. So basiclly all in all, its a 12v power supply, 5v for usb hub, startup/shutdown controller and power stabilizer.
I assume carnetix units provides that feature?
Man, I feel so far behind the times. When I initially thought about, I never thought about the start and shut down concept, then I thought to myself, "how in the hell am I going to make that happen without bootlegging it. "

So it basically gets a reading from the lead battery, cool, because my next question was going to be, "well damn, how do I get an on and off switch, lol (like the amp wire for a radio)." Getting a little more confident, I'm about 2 or 3 weeks in my planning stage, and I guess I'm going to fund it as my hobby.. I just didn't want to start purchasing things little by little and figure out 50 percent of the way that I will not be able to pull it off from not knowing how to do it. Guess I could pay someone an additional Grand, but if I have to, I rather not have it at all. I really have my heart set on doing myself not necessarily because I'm being cheap, but I kind of got that idea like you, "keep changing and adding as you go"

Old 01-04-2006, 11:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If you need help with it, pm me what you currently plan on getting and doing, and I'll help you out. As far as getting someone to do it for you, almost all stereo shops won't touch it....even the high end ones. If you really want someone else to do it for you, you may want to list where your located and hopefully someone nearby has done them before. I can physically help you out, but I'm in San Francisco! If you need any non-physical help with it, I'll be glad to help you out with it and give you suggestions.

Old 01-05-2006, 10:33 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

If you need help with it, pm me what you currently plan on getting and doing, and I'll help you out. As far as getting someone to do it for you, almost all stereo shops won't touch it....even the high end ones. If you really want someone else to do it for you, you may want to list where your located and hopefully someone nearby has done them before. I can physically help you out, but I'm in San Francisco! If you need any non-physical help with it, I'll be glad to help you out with it and give you suggestions.

What a great guy! People like this make our board such a valuable resource!

Old 01-05-2006, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I'm in Norfolk; I would really appreciate that and will get my list together today. One thing I did notice (will include this question in the future PM), you’re not using an inverter with your setup huh? Does the opus psu take that need away? Any heat issues with your setup?