G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

How do you shift YOUR G?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 11:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. If you know you are coming to a stop soon and will likely not need to accelerate I generally just pull into neutral and coast up to the stop. Saves on mileage a bit maybe... but just easier than shifting only to downshift/push in the clutch to come to a stop.

2. Again I would probably just pull into neutral or push in the clutch and see what develops... less wear/tear on the clutch and tranny. Then if you don't have to stop let your clutch out and go on.

3. depends on my mood and the situation... probably just sit there if only 1 car length.

4. If under 10mph I would probably hit 2nd as I tend to like to accelerate quick... but if you are just driving around easy third works fine. Do whatever makes you happy. Don't get too used to using third in cars with less hp though... my first car was an 82 VW Scirocco, didn't have nearly enough power to do that. Nor did my Honda CRX, or 89 Toyota Celica. I had a series of 240sx's that would do it grudgingly...all to say it can be car specific too.

5. fill it. screw em. But that's the way people drive here in Little Rock... was in Tampa Florida a couple weeks ago and down there everybody drove really nicely.

Old 01-10-2006, 01:15 PM
I thought that I was the only one that put this much thought into driving!

Old 01-10-2006, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by G35_coupe_6MT
Buying an AT on a sports coupe is nonsense.
Except when it's a daily driver in stop-and-go traffic. Then it's the only way to go (until they offer clutchless-manual).

Old 01-10-2006, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by CRyan
Not really seen these questions before, so I thought I would throw them out there. Many of them are traffic questions.

1. In traffic, you are in 2nd and at 4000 rpm. You are pretty sure you are going to have to stop in 5-15 seconds. Do you stay moving along at 4000rpm until you have to stop or go ahead and up-shift to 3rd?

2. In traffic, you are in third and slowing down. You are pretty sure you are not going to have to stop but you are gonna have to go down to at least second. Do you break and down-shift or do you just down-shift?

3. You are 10-20th in line at a red light. And the automatics keep creeping up (for no apparent reason) so you now have at least a one car-length gap between you and the car in front of you. The person behind you has also creeped up because its just what people in automatics do. Do you drop it into first and creep up or just let the gap remain?

4. In traffic again and you are in third going about 10 mph at under 1000 RPM. You are not stuttering yet and you feel like you are going to be getting up to speed in a few seconds. Do you downshift or just leave it in third hoping you will be increasing speed soon.

5. Look at question 3 again. Now imagine you have a car-length gap and you are in the left lane (where everyone needs to be). Those in the right lane wait till the last minute to merge into the left lane to jump up ahead of everyone. Now do you leave the gap or do ya fill it to keep the jackasses out?

Now I am curious as to what you all do and curious as to what people think you should do with a stick?

4000RPM's in 2nd. in traffic?

Actually shifting has little to do with charts and ranges, ride with an experienced manual driver and listen to the machine as they drive, then in your car try turning your music off and listen to the machine and feel it... You can tell exactly when to shift for any situation, by sound and feel... Anyone who tells you about ranges is really wrong because there are just too many variables.

May the force be with you!
Can you feel it?

Old 01-10-2006, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by yacoub
Except when it's a daily driver in stop-and-go traffic. Then it's the only way to go (until they offer clutchless-manual).
Are you really that lazy? You can't press a pedal down with your foot and move your right hand a bit?

Old 01-10-2006, 04:28 PM
Banned
wow, what a waste of 5 mins of my life. i cant even answer those questions because I dont do the same thing every time, sometimes i downshift, sometimes i dont, sometimes i use the brakes, sometimes i dont. I just cant believe someone took the time to analyze all of this useless crap type out questions about it.

its like if someone posts about something as trivial as waking up in the morning:

1. when you wake up in he morning, do you open both eyes at the same time? or left then right? or right then left?

2. when you put your boxers/tighties on, which leg goes in first, right or left?

3. Do you then go to the bathroom first, or take a shower?

4. when you brush your teeth, do you do the outside first, or the inside?

5. look at question 3 again, if you do go to the bathroom first, and you takea sh*t, do you wipe? or just jump in the shower and let the hot water wash the mud away?

Old 01-10-2006, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackStevo8
wow, what a waste of 5 mins of my life. i cant even answer those questions because I dont do the same thing every time, sometimes i downshift, sometimes i dont, sometimes i use the brakes, sometimes i dont. I just cant believe someone took the time to analyze all of this useless crap type out questions about it.

its like if someone posts about something as trivial as waking up in the morning:

1. when you wake up in he morning, do you open both eyes at the same time? or left then right? or right then left?

2. when you put your boxers/tighties on, which leg goes in first, right or left?

5. look at question 3 again, if you do go to the bathroom first, and you takea sh*t, do you wipe? or just jump in the shower and let the hot water wash the mud away?

LMAO! . . . Brutal, but understood.

Old 01-10-2006, 04:38 PM
FGC South Florida BOD
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CRyan
Not really seen these questions before, so I thought I would throw them out there. Many of them are traffic questions.

1. In traffic, you are in 2nd and at 4000 rpm. You are pretty sure you are going to have to stop in 5-15 seconds. Do you stay moving along at 4000rpm until you have to stop or go ahead and up-shift to 3rd?
Put it in neutral, then coast to a stop.

2. In traffic, you are in third and slowing down. You are pretty sure you are not going to have to stop but you are gonna have to go down to at least second. Do you break and down-shift or do you just down-shift?
Depends on how much space I have in front of me, if space is not enough I use my brakes. My brakes are free and my clutch isn't.

3. You are 10-20th in line at a red light. And the automatics keep creeping up (for no apparent reason) so you now have at least a one car-length gap between you and the car in front of you. The person behind you has also creeped up because its just what people in automatics do. Do you drop it into first and creep up or just let the gap remain?
If on a slight incline, I actually rock BACK on them a couple of inches on purpose I would not creep up an inch until the light is green.

4. In traffic again and you are in third going about 10 mph at under 1000 RPM. You are not stuttering yet and you feel like you are going to be getting up to speed in a few seconds. Do you downshift or just leave it in third hoping you will be increasing speed soon.
Downshift. You'll be straining your tranny badly accelerating in the 1k-2k rpm range in 3rd.

5. Look at question 3 again. Now imagine you have a car-length gap and you are in the left lane (where everyone needs to be). Those in the right lane wait till the last minute to merge into the left lane to jump up ahead of everyone. Now do you leave the gap or do ya fill it to keep the jackasses out?
I'll fill the gap for my own safety like someone mentioned. I usually don't mind letting someone get in front of me, but if it's 10 of them no way.

Old 01-10-2006, 06:17 PM
Thumbs up

Certainly did not want to waste anyones time with such trivial things. So certainly don't feel the need to post.

And certainly the sound of the engine tells you when to shift - but maybe thats not always best. I mean is constant re-shifting going to wear out the clutch earlier than needed, or will letting the car shudder at low RPM's be worse? Maybe keeping the engine at 4000 RPM for 10 seconds 20 times every day is worse.

So ya know, I have only ever driven a stick. I have driven an auto on a few occasions when on business trips, but that is it. So, this is something I have dealt with for nearly 15 years. You tend to think about this stuff in traffic as your left knee tires. So I thought I would share my early morning and late afternoon thoughts.

Though I do think it is hilarious that this useless crap inspired another to write about even more useless crap to make fun of this thread.

But ANYWAY, thanks for the responses. It is interesting, to me at least, to see what other people do.

Last edited by CRyan; 01-10-2006 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:26 PM
I just traded in my 350 for an 06 G and its taking some time to get used to the clutch. The clutch in my 350 was alot stiffer than the Z

Old 01-10-2006, 06:35 PM
kind of off topic but what is the negative side to having your car shuddering at low rpm

Old 01-10-2006, 06:43 PM
wow. alotta questions? i think my general answer to those questions is to feel it out, i.e. not concentrate so hard on WHAT to do. You gotta get to the point where you don't have to think, rather, you just do. People in automatic's don't think much beyond **stop** **go**....same goes for drivin' manny, bro.

Old 01-10-2006, 06:45 PM
no. That is perfectly on topic. I wonder as well.

Old 01-10-2006, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lojacc
wow. alotta questions? i think my general answer to those questions is to feel it out, i.e. not concentrate so hard on WHAT to do. You gotta get to the point where you don't have to think, rather, you just do.
+1 . . . Yes, eventually it does and should become second nature. Otherwise, one might find themselves thinking into an accident of sorts.

Old 01-10-2006, 08:34 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackStevo8

ROFL,
I'm with ya bro.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do you shift YOUR G?