G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Having a serious issue with Gas Guage!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 01:24 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Blackbird V35
Thats funny, I have the exact same problem with my car. I keep filling it up when the light is on and i can only put in 14 gal before it over flows.

unfortunatly my warranty is up but if its a TSB then they have to do it for free anyways right? Anyone have a link to the TSB #?
Links are in this thread: CLICKY HERE

You might get lucky but I don't think they have to do it.
G/L

C.

Old 03-29-2006, 10:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My fuel light came on the other day at 245 miles. I drove around for another day and filled up at about 290 miles (That's 45 miles or 2 gallons of gas). Well when I filled up it only took 15.2 gallons. WTF the light came on with 7 gallons left??? I think I'm gonna just wait till about 330 miles every time now regardless of when that stupid light comes on. I get about 20 miles to the gallon so I should be able to get about 400 miles before running out.

Old 03-29-2006, 11:26 PM
► Matt ◄
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G35DDS
05 coupe 11,800 miles

filled up the car and noticed that the gauge reads 3/4 full but the pump stops?

Trip to the dealer is needed I guess?
mine is the exact same problem but just started happening to me about a month ago. It only goes one notch about 3/4 when I fill the tank. Would the tbs posted earlier solve this prob?

Old 03-29-2006, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by Spd2Last
wow!!! 350-400!!! im lucky to even get up to 250
YEAH, that's what I said! What the heck is he doing you think to get that mileage?

Old 03-30-2006, 03:41 AM
Originally Posted by gmoney1227
YEAH, that's what I said! What the heck is he doing you think to get that mileage?
staying off the rev limiter???

Old 03-30-2006, 05:01 AM
Originally Posted by gmoney1227
i've gotten 320ish with about 70 miles left on the tank(according to my navi screen)

the only time that happened was when i drove about 200+ miles highway only!! lol

i haven't seen that kinda mileage anymore lol

Old 03-30-2006, 05:46 AM
Originally Posted by IS300TOG35
mine is the exact same problem but just started happening to me about a month ago. It only goes one notch about 3/4 when I fill the tank. Would the tbs posted earlier solve this prob?
The replacement of the shutter valve TBS job is there with the intention to fix this problem. And it should be the first job to get done to fix it. I don't think Infiniti would permit tank replacement right from the beginning.
Actually when I got the TSB job done, the tank worked fine for 2 fill ups then same problem began happening again so took it back, at this point, Infiniti decided to replaced the whole fuel tank for me, and it has been fine ever since.

Old 03-30-2006, 08:44 AM
Most dealers don't like fixing this problem for whatever reason; probably because its pretty passive. I have noticed that the gas light will often go off shortly after it goes on. If the car is parked at an angle it will be more likely to read low.

Generally I figure how much I have left between the gage, the trip od, and the navi.
I also noticed when you know you have more gas left and you let it run for a long time on E, forcing it to use a good part of the 5 gallon reserve, the next time you fill up it will wait longer before the light comes on.

You also may have better luck if you just wait until the gage is almost below E rather than running to get gas right when the light turns on.

Last edited by Beowulf; 03-30-2006 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:07 PM
I am actually over in the Coupe section b/c I am looking hard at getting a used 03-05 when my lease expires in a few months...and I wanted to see what issues the Coupes were having, if any.

When I came upon this thread I just lol...my Sedan has been doing this since about 5000 miles on the odometer...it has 42K now...I was told the same BS from my dealer...that it was normal and it was the reserve...well it's not normal to be told the DTE via my NAV is 0 miles when it only takes 16-17 Gallons to fill the $&$$& car...that means at over 20 mpg I had another 60+ miles to go...which is a lot...so the DTE meter is a joke, but moreso, when I fill it, it never reads full so it's off from the get go...

I went to the one link on here about not being able to fill up the tank 100%...but that TSB is not the TSB originally referred to for that sensor under the rear seat or whatever. Does anyone have that TSB?

Gotta love when the dealers talk complete BS and then when you tell them all these other people are having the same issue they tell you the ol "Well that damn internet is full of Bull$hit and you shoudln't believe a word on it."

Old 03-30-2006, 03:08 PM
Isn't running your car with low gas hard on your fuel pump? I thought I remember reading that awhile ago. If so wouldn't the false low fuel light help this, kinda like setting your alarm clock faster so you won't be late for work?

Old 03-30-2006, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by popbox
Isn't running your car with low gas hard on your fuel pump? I thought I remember reading that awhile ago. If so wouldn't the false low fuel light help this, kinda like setting your alarm clock faster so you won't be late for work?
That used to be the case...Fuel has come a long way and Fuel Filters have come a long way. It's dealers that continue to be the scum of the Earth and lie to us that has not changed...unfortunately. Obviously some dealers are nicer than others...but they just don't seem to get it.

2-3 Gallons is more than enough of a warning...and when the tanks don't read full at full...IE...right after filling up...or come on with 4-6 gallons left it's just wrong and a PITA.

Old 03-30-2006, 04:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Running low on fuel is only bad on the fuel pump because the pump itself is liquid cooled by the fuel in the tank. When you run excessively low, there is just less cooling ability. Some would argue you start sucking in deposits and such, but honestly, I wouldn't take too much seriousness in that. All that stuff gets mixed up when you drive, you have a filter, and I believe the fuel is pumped from the bottom of the tank anyways.

In regards to the low fuel light indicator, I've noticed sometimes mine would go off with still 4-5 gals left too. Never really paid much attention to it considering the fuel gauge itself read 1/8 remaining. Although I do use the DTE on the nav to sort of get an idea on how much I can drive, the DTE and MPG calculations are never that accurate anyways. Really, its just a matter of using better judgement. Looking at the gauge really should give you a good idea unless it is misreading the level of fuel. The light just really is supposed to tell you that you're nearing empty, even if you still do have 60 miles left. Can't really blame Infiniti/Nissan for being conservative. Now, if the light went on after your car stalls out from lack of fuel, that's a different story.

A little tid bit on my mileage just for comparison... for the past few fillups, I've been able to drive nearly 350 miles per tank WITHOUT the light ever turning on. Also, I've been filling up roughly 15-16 gallons. Nav usually calculates roughly 440 miles on the DTE with a full tank. Of course I drive with moderate agression (no fun without it) but my daily commute is 80 miles round trip nearly all highway during rush hour. Nav also reports my MPG at roughly 22.

However, one issue that still concerns me is this. I've seen in the manual AND on a friend's 03 Sedan, when the fuel light comes on, the nav should instruct you that you are low on fuel and ask to route you to the nearest gas station. Mind you that I've actually seen this happen on my friend's car. But yet to see it on mine. This still confuses me and makes me wonder how low I have to run my tank before my nav takes it upon itself to direct me to a gas station.

Last edited by overdrve; 03-30-2006 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:12 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by overdrve
Running low on fuel is only bad on the fuel pump because the pump itself is liquid cooled by the fuel in the tank. When you run excessively low, there is just less cooling ability. Some would argue you start sucking in deposits and such, but honestly, I wouldn't take too much seriousness in that. All that stuff gets mixed up when you drive, you have a filter, and I believe the fuel is pumped from the bottom of the tank anyways.

In regards to the low fuel light indicator, I've noticed sometimes mine would go off with still 4-5 gals left too. Never really paid much attention to it considering the fuel gauge itself read 1/8 remaining. Although I do use the DTE on the nav to sort of get an idea on how much I can drive, the DTE and MPG calculations are never that accurate anyways. Really, its just a matter of using better judgement. Looking at the gauge really should give you a good idea unless it is misreading the level of fuel. The light just really is supposed to tell you that you're nearing empty, even if you still do have 60 miles left. Can't really blame Infiniti/Nissan for being conservative. Now, if the light went on after your car stalls out from lack of fuel, that's a different story.

A little tid bit on my mileage just for comparison... for the past few fillups, I've been able to drive nearly 350 miles per tank WITHOUT the light ever turning on. Also, I've been filling up roughly 15-16 gallons. Nav usually calculates roughly 440 miles on the DTE with a full tank. Of course I drive with moderate agression (no fun without it) but my daily commute is 80 miles round trip nearly all highway during rush hour. Nav also reports my MPG at roughly 22.

However, one issue that still concerns me is this. I've seen in the manual AND on a friend's 03 Sedan, when the fuel light comes on, the nav should instruct you that you are low on fuel and ask to route you to the nearest gas station. Mind you that I've actually seen this happen on my friend's car. But yet to see it on mine. This still confuses me and makes me wonder how low I have to run my tank before my nav takes it upon itself to direct me to a gas station.
Correct about the pump.

I believe there is a way to control through factors on the NAV when your warning pops up...I know mine always comes on right after the dash light has been on a bit...course the DTE is useless b/c under like 40 miles or so it says nothing...kind of like the "Locate/Where am I feature" on the NAV that tells you what effing street your on, but not what town or state you are in...that has to be an olympic record for vehicle stupidity that's supposed to be a good thing.

There is definitely something up with the gas guages though...and I would love to be able to walk into my dealer with a TSB.