G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

1500 miles and new Clutch?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 09:34 AM
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
15,5k on my clutch, no problems and I race my car.

Old 02-07-2006, 09:34 AM
I had a 04 Coupe which was way better than this worthless 05 Coupe for Clutches that is, the 05 revup motor and everything else is great. I was able to drop the 04 clutch at the track and just f*cking around with no problems, no burning smell, nor did it ever slip. In my 05, i've already had to replace it cause it's a P.O.S., I had just under double the miles on my 04 than my 05 and that only has around 8000.

I could tell a difference the first day I drove off the lot with the 05 that I didn't like it, and knew it was going to cause me problems. Sure enough there it went on me and now I have another stock one in there and its just like what was just in there. It's already showing similarities so all I get to do is wait till this one craps out on me again.

Doesn't the 05's + have a double clutch system, while the 03-04's have a single? Is there anyway to get the dealership to take the amount of money it would cost for a stock replacement and put it towards an aftermarket one?? I don't want to keep having the hassle of going to the dealership and have it replaced when it does crap out, nor pay for the shipping it will cost with a tow truck driver, which I shouldn't have to pay.

For a 40K car, we shouldn't have to worry about things like this and have those thoughts lingering in the back of our minds on if and when it will crap out again.

Old 02-07-2006, 10:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The clutch is definately one of the weaker ones. I also think the high engagement point encourages some slipping to get underway. I'm not ******* your G/F because she's a girl. I also have some issues with the engagement point. Even though I've driven stick for 18 years, I feel like somewhat of a novice with the G. If it's only the 2nd manual car your G/F has driven, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that the weak clutch was subjected to some slippage, etc. No offense intended, as I'm sure you taught her well, but the G's clutch is far from being a brute and the high-engagement point doesn't do anything to help it's life expectancy.

Old 02-07-2006, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by GT-Ron
The clutch is definately one of the weaker ones. I also think the high engagement point encourages some slipping to get underway. I'm not ******* your G/F because she's a girl. I also have some issues with the engagement point. Even though I've driven stick for 18 years, I feel like somewhat of a novice with the G. If it's only the 2nd manual car your G/F has driven, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that the weak clutch was subjected to some slippage, etc. No offense intended, as I'm sure you taught her well, but the G's clutch is far from being a brute and the high-engagement point doesn't do anything to help it's life expectancy.
So do you guys drive it rough all the time to make the clutch last. I always thought the catch on the clutch seemed kind of wierd and it was hard to make smooth shifts. Seemed like there was a funky spot at mid point that jerked, but I guess that is what you guys mean by the high-engagement point.

Old 02-07-2006, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by warrenbic
Hello everyone,

My girl friend recently bought a brand new 06 G35 coupe 6MT, and has had it for about a month now. The car only has 1546 miles on it (yes I meant to say one thousand five hundred and forty six) and Friday night the clutch blew out. I do not see how a clutch can go at 1500 miles. She drives to work and back daily, she doesn't race it and has only played with it a couple of times. So how the heck does the clutch go at that kind of milage. The dealership tech said that they would replace "this one", but that if it happened again in 10K they probably wouldn't. I told him if it happens again in 10K we are going to have larger problems then just the clutch, cough "Lemon" cough.

So has anyone heard of them putting in crappy clutches? I thought this thing was supposed to be a sports car, but damn I drive my Jetta a hell of a lot harder then I ever drove this and I put 55K on my first clutch. I just thought this would get at least 40K before having to change the clutch.

Man my sister killed 3 clutches in 6K milkes on a new Toyota; could it be the driver? I know for a fact that the 3 clutches were my sistes fault entirely; Toyota paid for the firts 2 and she paid for the 3rd and learned how to drive manual real fast after that.

It could have been defective, but my answer is yes, you can kill a clutch in 1500miles, heck, you can kill a clutch in a parking lot if you want to.

Last edited by htownboy; 02-07-2006 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When the mechanics replace the clutch, they'll easily be able to determine why it failed so quickly. If it's a mechanical defect, Infiniti will cover the new clutch.