G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Talk me out of a C5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 05:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Talk me out of a C5

Just thought I'd throw this out there. After really thinking about it, I've realized that the reason I've never even considered getting a Corvette is image. In every movie and TV show I've ever seen, the Corvette is the chariot of the sleazy dirtbag. Now, I'm pretty sure most 'vette drivers are not sleazy dirtbags. And I'm even more confident that the Corvette is best all-around American sports car, and that the Z06 more than holds its own against anything short of a true supercar. And yet I could never see myself driving one because of the image thing, which I know is unjust but... there it is. A Viper or a Prowler, sure (I wish). The new GTO is okay, they blew the styling but I'd drive it. Mustang... the ones before they added the monstrous side intakes, sure, especially in a convertible. But never a Corvette.

Anyway, I've always wondered if 'vette fans ever thought about this, or even noticed. Maybe not, since there's a whole lot of BMW drivers out there who don't seem to care that every film's self-important yuppie jackass drives a Bimmer. You'd have thought that at some point Chevy would make a move to get its halo car featured in a film in a positive light. But James Bond would never drive a Corvette. Nor would a costumed super hero. Wife-beating, drug-dealing psychos? Not a problem. But I guess Chevy sells plenty without any help, media be damned.

-Jack
Obsidian '03 G35 Sports Coupe
Titanium '03 MX-5 Shinsen #532

Old 08-20-2003, 08:16 PM
mcd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for responding

Loren04Coupe, you really hit the nail on the head.

Last year my wife purchased an Acura TL. We had to take the car in for some minor tweaking. They treated us like a king and queen. This year I purchased a Dodge Dakota. Three weeks old and the carpet is soaked. I take the truck in and just get treated like crap.

That's what bubbles to the top. If I spend $50K on a car, and have to take in in for service (and I know I will) and get treated like crap, I can just hear myself saying.....

Shoulda got the G35!

Old 08-21-2003, 01:56 AM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

But I guess Chevy sells plenty without any help, media be damned.

<hr></blockquote>

That's because most people don't buy cars based on an image portrayed in a movie. Some do. Most don't.

Based on your comments, I'm surprised you don't drive an Evo or a Supra, since the movies would have told you that those are the cars you should drive. Mitsubishi paid a lot of money for you to believe that, so why aren't you buying?!!?

But James Bond would never drive a Corvette.

<hr></blockquote>

Sure he would! James Bond would drive whatever car gave the Hollywood producers the most money in sponsorship. BMW proved that already. Don't you know that movies are all about money, and NOTHING else?

If some movies come out in the near future that have a sleazy dirtbag movie character driving a G35, are you going to sell yours because of the negative image portrayed by that movie character?

You should try being less image conscious - it will make your life much more enjoyable. And for God's sake, don't ever follow Hollywood's image direction!

2003 G35C, 6MT, DG/G, Aero/Nav/Premium
2002 Corvette Z06, Electron Blue/Black

Old 08-21-2003, 09:45 AM

Having driven a loaded '99 6M C5 for two years prior to owning the G35 6M coupe, I can attest that the G35 is (at least for me) far more fun to drive. I live near access to loads of twisty roads and the Vette always felt nervous in curves with bumps in them. I swear I had white knuckles everytime. The Vette has high handling limits, but gives you no warning about those limits. If you reach the limit, the cars tail comes out fast and thats very bad. The G35 on the other hand, not only takes the bumpy curves much faster and smoother, but I never once have had the sensation the rear was going to step out. The thing drives like one of those little go-carts at local adventure/fun parks. You point the nose and the rear follows.

Pro's for the Vette though include better gas mileage and a great transmission. I too noticed over 30mpg on highway trips and lots more engine power. But overall, I find the G35 more comfortable, refined, quieter, and a far more fun car to drive.

G35 Coupe 6MT / Laser Red / Fully Loaded
Built in May 2003. Delivered by Grubbs!

Old 08-21-2003, 06:05 PM

The Vette has high handling limits, but gives you no warning about those limits.

<hr></blockquote>

That's not true at all about the C5. If you read almost any magazine review of the C5, they all praise it for how easy it is to drive at the limit and how predictable the handling is. Very forgiving, and easy to catch if you push it too far.

Having said all that, you can't expect to be completely oblivious and have the car correct all your mistakes. It's RWD with a lot of power and torque, and thus is easy to overwhelm the rear tires, especially while in a turn. If you take a hard turn and nail the gas, yeah, the rear will step out on you in a real hurry and in the blink of an eye you'll be in a world of trouble. To drive the C5 at or near its limits requires at least some skill - its not an idiot proof sports car. Skilled drivers know not to nail the gas in a turn, and to be smooth.

If you reach the limit, the cars tail comes out fast and thats very bad.

<hr></blockquote>

The tail only comes out if you're on the gas (throttle induced oversteer). Otherwise the car corners fairly neutral with just a hint of understeer if you're not on the gas. It's quite easy to put it in a controlled 4-wheel drift when you get the feel for the car.

The G35 on the other hand, not only takes the bumpy curves much faster and smoother, but I never once have had the sensation the rear was going to step out.

<hr></blockquote>

That's because the G35 understeers quite a bit. A car set towards understeer is easier to drive at the limit, and a bit more forgiving for unskilled drivers, as its easier to recover from an understeer condition than oversteer condition, and the risk of a spin is less. However, an understeering car's ultimate grip is compromised, and for skilled drivers, understeer can be annoying.

I agree with you about the C5 being twitchy in turns on bumpy roads though. It's a result of the single transverse leaf spring in the back, IMO.

Old 08-22-2003, 04:39 PM

Z06ified, trust me, I'm very aware of how shallow an image-based car purchase is. But I have an oppressive amount of negative images of Corvettes built up in my memory over the years. It is NEVER shown in a positive light. I saw some brand new beer commercial the other day that was trying to sell its product by saying, "you don't want to be like that jerk Brad with the Corvette who women find repulsive, do you?" Some high-priced marketting agency apparently did research and decided that people want products that will make it clear that they don't drive a Corvette (exaggerating a bit). That's why I think the folks who control the James Bond copyrights would never have him drive a Corvette (or a ricey Mitsubishi for that matter). And I know people who, if I tried to impress them by pulling up in my brand new Corvette, would be like "uh, that's... nice... oh, I don't need a ride, no thanks."

I'm not saying that's right or just, that's just reality. There are plenty of people who love 'vettes, and for good reason, especially with respect to the Z06. But the onslaught of negativity around that car seeps in. And this is coming from someone who drives a "gay girly" car. That I can deal with, because it usually comes from people in huge pick-ups and SUVs who barely qualify as human beings in the first place. I could also drive one of those Evos, though I'd yank the wing off first. I could drive a VW bus. And hell, I'd love to get my hands on a Z06 at a racetrack. But I wouldn't put one in my driveway. My loss, I guess, but that image, which has been reinforced non-stop since the 70s, is just too powerful. And Chevy has never lifted a finger to stop it. We've seen superheroes drive Vipers. We've seen sympathetic rebels drive Mustangs. Even Knight Rider drove a Trans Am. Why do the good guys never drive Corvettes?

-Jack
Obsidian '03 G35 Sports Coupe
Titanium '03 MX-5 Shinsen #532

Old 08-22-2003, 05:44 PM

Well put Kevin. I too choose the G35 over the C5. I owned an '85 Vette and a heavily modified '94 Camaro. The G35 is a very well balanced car- performance, styling, and comfort. The Chevrolet products will out perform the G. Faster, better handling (let the responses pour in..). However- as you said once you had that bang, you look for the refined brunette.

The torque of those vehicles was the biggest thing I miss. However the G is very quick you just have keep in mind it's ok to shift it at 6500 RPM not 5500 RPM where the pushrod V8's give out.

My next car will be an E55 Roadster until then... I am enjoying the G.

P.S. For the guys that are ballsy enough to say that the G35 Coupe out handles a Vette (especially a C5 Z06) had better owned both cars. Also my Camaro had 390 naturally aspirated HP, dynoed, at the rear wheels!

G35 Coupe/ Red/ 6-Spd/ Premium/ 20"Wheels

"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail."
- Abraham Maslow (1908-1970)

Old 08-22-2003, 05:50 PM

You have an unusual perspective on Corvettes, JDMan. I don't think I've ever heard that before. I know some people associate the late '70s Corvettes (and sometimes Corvettes in general) with gold chain wearing greasy fat pimp type dudes, but not with the new ones. First off, there aren't too many people like that who can afford a $50k sports car.

But you're the first person I met that is repulsed by Corvettes. I don't know maybe you had some traumatic experience as a child with a Corvette that has made you digusted with them ever since.

I can say the vast majority of people don't share your view about the Corvette. I'm not arguing with you - everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and I respect that. The Corvette is not for everyone - no question. But it does appeal to a VERY wide range of people from around the world, and it appeals to probably the broadest base of people than any other sports car in the world.

There are a LOT of high status, famous people who own Corvettes. Rock stars, movie stars, comedians, sports hero's, CEO's, you name it. A couple of good examples:

* Mario Andretti drives a Z06 - its one of his favorite cars.
* Jay Leno drives a modified '99 C5.
* Johnny Carson also owned Corvettes.
* Michael Jordan drives a ZR-1
* Bruce Springsteen drives a '59 Corvette
* Nicolas Cage owns 5 Corvettes
* George Clooney owns a '59
* Sheryl Crow has a '64

There are MANY more, but you get the idea. Most of these people could afford to drive ANY car they want, and a lot of them have quite the celebrity status and image to live up to. Do you think these celebrities believe the Corvette is only driven by dirtbag slimeballs? Hardly.

I live in Orange County, CA - the land of the image conscious. There are a lot of C5's here and Z06's too, and they are all considered nice cars to be seen in, even among a sea of Porsche's and Ferrari's. There are a few snobs that think any car under a $100k (or $200k sometimes) is a worthless POS, but those people are idiots.

As for me, I could care less what other people think of me when driving a car. I care about what the car does for me - i.e., how does it drive, performance, etc. I want it to be pleasing to look at to MY eye, but I could care less what other people think of it.

I used to own a beautiful 1970 Cortez Silver Corvette Stingray. That car, with its sexy curves and incredible paint drew attention like a naked lady going down the street. I was constantly getting thumbs up, questions about it, yells of "hey man nice car!", what year is that?, etc. It ALWAYS turned heads wherever it went. All that attention was fun sometimes, but its not why I bought the car. In fact, sometimes that attention was annoying. The car made me happy to look at it. It didn't make me happy that other people liked it too (didn't make me unhappy either). See the difference? I guess basically what I'm trying to say is I'm never trying to impress people with the cars I drive. A lot of people are though.

Old 08-22-2003, 05:57 PM

However the G is very quick you just have keep in mind it's ok to shift it at 6500 RPM not 5500 RPM where the pushrod V8's give out.

<hr></blockquote>

Redline on my Z06 is 6,500 RPM's and its a pushrod V-8! [img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Its not sucking wind there either - its close to its peak power level at that RPM. I admit though, that the LS6 is not like most pushrod engines in its power deliver. It's more similar to a DOHC multi-valve engine than a 2 valve pushrod in the way it feels. In fact, it feels similar to the VQ in terms of its power curve, with most of its power above 4,000 RPM's, and pulling all the way to redline. Actually, the LS6 is peakier in its power delivery than the VQ is. The variable valve timing really helps smooth out the power curve in the VQ so its not as peaky.

Old 08-23-2003, 12:14 AM

doesnt ted nugent have a garage full of corvettes
i know the ZR-1 is his favorite

-moooooo

Old 08-23-2003, 07:01 PM

Hi:

Have you considered the soon to be released GTO?

Old 08-24-2003, 09:12 PM
mcd

The GTO does nothing for me.

Old 08-25-2003, 09:59 AM

"That's not true at all about the C5. If you read almost any magazine review of the C5, they all praise it for how easy it is to drive at the limit and how predictable the handling is. Very forgiving, and easy to catch if you push it too far. "

Well, it is true and I can also add that I have here in my collection of Car and Driver magazines an article that mentions the exact same things. They describe the C5 as the car that felt "most likely to kiss the guardrail". If I see correctly, you have a Z06, which I have read is better balanced, but if you don't own a C5, then you really have no idea. I speak from experience and no you don't have to step on the gas in mid-corner, the C5 rear end can step out if you hit just a few bumps.

G35 Coupe 6MT / Laser Red / Fully Loaded
Built in May 2003. Delivered by Grubbs!

Old 08-25-2003, 11:52 AM

Like I said, I'm not arguing about the rear suspension being twitchy in bumpy corners. It is. If you take a corner hard and hit a significant bump, the rear will feel light like it almost goes airborn for a second, and the rear end will like skip out a bit. It can be alarming at first, but it never skips out enough to cause an oversteer condition or put you in a position to "kiss the guardrail". Eventually you get used to this trait of the C5.

But that's about the only shortcoming to the C5 handling. I believe its due to the single transverse leaf spring - if the car had coil-overs in the rear, it wouldn't do this. Take away the bumps in a corner, and its a non-issue - the handling is damned near perfect.

I'm not going to race magazines with you. I speak from experience too. I've driven over 1,000 miles of canyon driving in my Z06 which I've done with other C5's, a Viper, and an NSX. I've also autocrossed it several times. I've got a very good feel for what the Z06 can and can't do and what its strengths and weaknesses are in terms of handling.

Depending on the suspension options, a C5 can offer at least 95-98% of the handling levels of the Z06. Put the Z06's wheels and tires on a C5, and they're almost identical. I've spent a lot of time running with C5's in the canyons, so I do have an idea. I saw one get light in front of me around a heavy turn with a steep hill, and was oversteering quite a bit. I thought for a second he might lose it and go sideways, but he let off the gas and it came right back in line. Again, very forgiving. Many other cars with this handling capability wouldn't let you do that; oversteer that much and BAM you're in a spin. The Viper comes to mind, as does a RWD 911.

I've spun my Z06 several times on the autocross course. EVERY time it was caused by me being in the gas too much in the turn. I've never had it spin while not being in the gas.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Talk me out of a C5