G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

wierd creaking sound coming from right front...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wierd creaking sound coming from right front...

when i accelerate i hear a creaking sound coming from the right front wheel, i also hear it when i break hard but not as much as when i accelerte. i read somewhere that this has something to with the abs, but i have not heard this till now. i just installed the satisfied pro ceramic pads and i am real **** about everything and have done many brake jobs in the past so i know i left nothing loose. ohyeah for those who want to know about the pads they seem to bee stopping as good as stock, if not better.

Old 08-24-2003, 02:45 PM
Re: wierd creaking sound coming from right front...

I presume you know all this. Was the sound beginning immediately after you installed the brake pads? I doubt if it's abs; usually, that sound is more of an electrical "whirring" sound in most brake systems.

And you're sure nothing is loose in/from the brake pad install such as the brake line, or caliper.

As you know, often a creaking sound is springs or shocks. Those are my usual suspects. I'm not sure if this is still the way to ck it, but you could try bouncing on the corner that squeaks to see if there's any play or noise in a static condition.

Or, (at least in recirculating ball) steering racks pushed/turned all the way to one end or the other can strain some steering joints. But this doesn't seem to be your case.

Could it be the pad itself? Something not quite aligned correctly in the pad to rotor to caliper setup? I recall on another car that the initial "cut" on the pad for the leading and trailing edges was really radical (a lot of pad material was cut away) and these were stock mfr. pads for a very high end application. Could this be the case---that a relatively generic pad left uncut for break in was delivered to you whereas the stock pads are generously cut? I'm guessing now.

How about the wheel itself? Is that installed perfectly? I'm thinking that there could be a little gap in between one of the lugs and it's not cinched down (torqued) properly.

Hope you find it. As I said, my usuals are the springs and shocks but it'd be kind of surprising that it started suddenly after pad installation. Tell us the outcome for our future reference.

BONDg35c

Old 08-24-2003, 02:52 PM

from what i have found on this forum by doing a search is that it is the abs being recalibrated by the computer. coinsidental that it starded after i put the new brake pads in or not? what i am hoping is that it is recalibrating because the pads are thinker than the stock (wore down half way) and i had to compress the caliper piston to fit over the new pads.

Old 08-24-2003, 05:50 PM

hey maybe you're right. I kind of hope so because that would make it a solution.

but think about it for a min: abs is an electro/computer activated system. I've heard several, usually start out and make a noise when you first move the car. To me, that sound is kind of like an electrical whirring sound. When it activates, such as in the rain when you apply brakes too hard, it's kind of a loud, grunching sound as it applies and releases the brakes for you and considerably louder than when you first pull out in the morning.

You're talking about a creaking noise that doesn't sound like brakes or abs, at least to me. Maybe it is, tho. I'm trading opinion here not based on any known facts by me.

good luck. hope there's an easy fix.

BONDg35c

Old 08-24-2003, 10:29 PM

it sounds more like a ratchet. it happens everytime i accelerate from a dead stop or hard into second. i took the pads out and checked everything and everything was fine. i even disconnected the battery like the ECM says but it still does it. i even tried pushing up and down on the suspension and i i could not duplicate it. it is driving me crazy. i may bring it in this week for our crappy windows, and mention the noise.

Old 08-25-2003, 10:43 AM

I had a creaking sound form the rear passenger suspension everytime the weight of the car would shift (acc or braking). It started after my long run to Big Sur. I took it to the dealer and they re-aligned/tightened a nut on the suspension (did not get the exact fix).

All fixed now.

If it is the same thing, try taking it to the dealer, they will probably fix it.

mike.

2003 6MT Coupe Black/Graphite/Prem./Nav/Aero
1994 MR2 Turbo 5MT Black/Prem.

Old 08-25-2003, 11:41 AM

the funny thing is, when i was telling my girlfriend about it she had said she mentioned it to me before i even did the brakes but i did not hear it so of coarse i did not listen to her. maybe jacking the car up losened something in the front suspension more making it everytime i accelerate. i just hope it holds up my appointment is not till thursday and will have driven 200 miles by then.

Old 09-03-2003, 11:02 PM

that is exactly what the problem was. the shop foreman told me it was the left rear hub nut was loose. it was ironic that i really didn't notice it till i changed my brake pads, then again i was listening closly to see if the pads would make noise.