G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Borla vs. Stillen Cat Back Exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Borla vs. Stillen Cat Back Exhaust

If anyone knows anything about the two systems and can provide insight that would be sweet. Both companies have put out a Cat Back Exhaust, yet the stillen one is about 500 bucks more. I talked to some guys at stillen and they told me their performance gains is guareenteed, and the the reason for the higher price could be due to the R&D put into the system to improve upon the finely tuned stock system on the coupe. In any event if you have either of these exhaust systems on your car lets hear it. Pros & Cons I want anything you can offer up. Thanks

Old 08-29-2003, 01:02 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Borla vs. Stillen Cat Back Exhaust

CruiseX, I've got the Borla. I like the fit (almost perfect), the looks, and the sound. Dyno'd hp gains on it are about 8 to the wheels and about 3 ft lbs. My butt dyno tells me it's more.( It didn't tell me how much more, but a little more). I got it from StrictlyZ.
The Stillen yields a little more torque (I think about 5 ft lbs as opposed to 3) and about the same hp.
I've not seen the Stillen in person so can't comment on looks.
As yu say it's $500 more. For me the choice was easy.

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 08-29-2003, 05:09 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

Their have been several discussions on my350z.com on this issue. Check it out, it's info right on target for what your asking. Plus they have allot more owner install's and their experience's.

Ivry 6mt sed
Crawford Pleneum
Injen CAI
22" resonator
Cusco sway bars
350Z springs&struts
Enkei RPM2

Old 08-29-2003, 07:04 PM

There have been about a half dozen posts here and at my350z.com about poor customer relations at Stillen. Based on what I have read, I would stay away from them.

Lou

Old 08-29-2003, 08:18 PM

O.K. All I have heard about Stillen is a bunch of crap from people who don't have their equipment.I have the $1300 system which I think is a little high,but it performs better and in my opinion it looks and sounds better.Anyone can make a system and throw it on and claim 20 hp like Borla.In fact,I put a custom exhaust on my 300zx which only costed me $100 bucks + sebring mufflers and high flow cats totaling at $600 which sounds about right for a system thrown together without any dynoing.How much is Borla again?And what did they dyno before production?OH yeah.
On my350z.com everybody has their dynos including their headders which only produce minimal gains.I have had nothing but good experiences with Stillen.Of couse I have found better deals from other companies such as bulletproof for my rims&tires but I would definately recomend Stillen to anyone who asks.By no means am I talking down on Borla because my Dad has a corvett with cat-back and it is working out for him,but I don't think anyone should talk crap on any company without personal experience.

Old 08-29-2003, 09:09 PM

Say weslutes, no offense intended. But, exactly how "personal" does the experience have to be with Stillen? Do you have to be taken to the cleaners for 1300 bucks? Or is poor customer service before you can even buy anything sufficient? Your opinion would be informative.

BONDg35c

Old 08-29-2003, 10:43 PM

stillen is way over price for exhaust.my money doesnt grow on trees for me.borla exhaust is fair pricing and the quality is ok.stillen is good but paying for the name.thats what i think about.

Old 08-30-2003, 01:51 AM

I bought my STILLEN exhaust back at the end of May. I have had nothing but pure enjoyment from it. When I called Stillen and started asking them questions about their system, they were very polite and helpfull. I had purchased my intake from INJEN and with the STILLEN exhaust mated to it, I've had great horsepower gains. The guys at Stillen were very professional and when I ordered the exhaust, they had it right away and I drove over and picked up. As far as power gains go, I had the intake on already when I dynoed at Stillens 350Z/G35 day and posted the highest hp gain for the G35's I had 251.7 at the wheels. I think it all comes down to personal preference and the look you want. I liked the Stillen exhaust, but not thier intake. And some other people liked the looks of some other exhausts that actully took hp away from them. So if the money isn't that much of a concern, then just get what you like, Borla, Injen, or Stillen. The differences aren't that big, and can be compensated elsewhere. Have fun with your car most of all.

<font color=blue>2003 Caribbean Blue Coupe
6MT Prem, Aero, Nav.</font color=blue>[img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Old 08-30-2003, 02:19 PM

I had the Stillen system on for 1200-1500 miles and just switched to the Borla system. I prefer the Stillen but I'm getting old and just tired of replacing the systems so I'm going to leave the Borla on the car.

The Stillen might be just a little bit louder and higher pitched than the Borla. Stillen pipe gauge is diffinitely heaver. The Stillen pipes are 2.5", the Borlas are 2.25". The factory tips are 4", the Stillen tips are 4", and the Borla tips are 4.5". The fit and finish of the Stillen is better. I had to "adjust" the hangers on the Borla to fit. The Borla comes in more pieces than the Stillen too. A lot of people "rag" about the Stillen tips but I liked them better.

I just may swap the Stillen back on after I decide to go back at it. I'm really looking for a little bit more exhaust note and a lower tone.

Larry Bushaw - 6MT coupe - "Second place is the first looser"

Old 08-30-2003, 02:30 PM

I ordered the Borla for my Z, although I prefer the Stillen. I could not justify an almost 500 price difference though.

Borla does a lot of R&D, and actually does work for major OEMs. Perhaps their work is less expensive because they have a much larger catalog and can spread the expenses out better than a smaller company like Stillen.

Old 08-30-2003, 09:43 PM

you guys are all right.Stillen is way over priced, does weigh more,and it didn't feel good taking it in the rear from them.But I am definately satisfied after hearing & seeing them perform.What do you expect though,we bought a $40,000 car.By no means should any of us be penny pinching.Some like Borla and some like Stillen,both have their pro's & con's.Buy whatever floats your boat,not whatever costs the least.

Old 08-30-2003, 10:47 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

weslutes if we all had alot of money to throw around, then why buy a cheap car like the G35? If i had all the money in the world i would not have bought this car. Its called shopping and being smart with your purchases.

Anyway, I chose Borla due to the price/performance ratio. Cant justify another $500 for a measily 2lb*ft of torque and 20lbs more weight on the car.

Note: The Borla sys is about 11 lbs lighter than stock.

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c 6MT DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust

Old 08-31-2003, 06:43 AM

ramboman i agree with you.

Old 08-31-2003, 12:15 PM

personly i think the Injen exhuast is the way to go but its not out yet so i cant comment but i also wanted to say is it really better to have a lighter exhuast. the car is desighned to have 60 back 40 front weithgt or somthing like that so by reducing the weight of the exhuast wont u mess that up.

Old 08-31-2003, 12:21 PM

When you get in the car, you mess that up. No, an exhaust system wont mess up the weight balance of your car.

Lou

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Borla vs. Stillen Cat Back Exhaust