G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Warm up your car before you get going?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 08:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mc2
I always let the idle drop below 1K rpm before i start moving. I live in SoCal. I would not believe everything you read and i do it for my own peace of mind.

One question for all of you who think that it's okay not to warm it up but just "drive slowly" or keep the RPMs low until its warmed up. If today's technology is so great and wonderful, then why do i even have to bother to drive slowly? I would guess probably for the same reasons that i let the RPMs dip under 1K rpm before get moving.
I agree, don't believe everything you read. But.... I do believe some things like our manual. Drive slow b/c you do want the engine oil and even the tranny to warm up. The manual simply states it's best to do so driving slowly.
Note: This is coming from someone who, for the last ten years, let his cars warm up 5, 10 & sometimes 15 minutes. (Missouri winters)
Now, I let her run 30 sec max & roll...

Old 04-21-2006, 09:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drop to 1k rpm takes about 10-15 mins... imagine how much time you are wasting your life just by warming up your car?

Old 04-21-2006, 01:11 PM
Premier Member

Cool Thread!

Old 04-21-2006, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by G35MC
drop to 1k rpm takes about 10-15 mins... imagine how much time you are wasting your life just by warming up your car?

if it takes 15min to drop your idle, something is very wrong.

Old 04-21-2006, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by mc2
I always let the idle drop below 1K rpm before i start moving. I live in SoCal. I would not believe everything you read and i do it for my own peace of mind.

One question for all of you who think that it's okay not to warm it up but just "drive slowly" or keep the RPMs low until its warmed up. If today's technology is so great and wonderful, then why do i even have to bother to drive slowly? I would guess probably for the same reasons that i let the RPMs dip under 1K rpm before get moving.
I can understand that you want to do this for "peace of mind," but I think numerous people have provided compelling evidence and support that there is a diminishing return to warming up your beyond a certain point. Now if people were just making unsupported claims I'd agree to not "believe everything you read." In regards to your question about driving slowly vs warming up your car, I don't think anyone has provided evidence suggesting that the rationale's the same for doing one vs the other. I'm not trying to say that it's not good to warm up your car at all, but given what I've read here, I think by "erroring on the safe side" you actually have a greater chance of screwing up your car. Just my two pennies peace!

Old 04-21-2006, 02:46 PM
Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by truplay8
dont have to worry about that.........FLORIDA!!!

Me too. I have heard of this "en-gine warm-up" but have never actually seen it performed. Intriguing

Old 04-21-2006, 04:58 PM
Premier Member

So what's the verdict?

Old 04-21-2006, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by malx
So what's the verdict?
Those guys from FL are nuts.

lol

Last edited by shredX; 04-21-2006 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:13 PM
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
It rarely gets below freezing where I live. I turn the key, pop it into 1M and I'm off. I won't hammer it until the temperature reaches optimum - that takes about 2 minutes while driving under 3k RPM. At 30 MPH, it's basically idling anyway - no need to stand still.

Old 04-21-2006, 11:56 PM
Originally Posted by MaxxZ
A couple of you hit it on the head. Letting the car warm up too long leaves carbon deposits in the valvetrain thereby producing an undesireable effect in your motor. 30 seconds is fine in most cases, slightly longer in extreme cold. Even driving your car for very short distances at low rpms repeatedly without bringing it to sustained highway speeds can cause carbon deposits. So all of you guys that just use you G's or Z's to go to the 7-11 down the block,.. take her on the highway for a little excersise once in a while.
what about revving your engine before shut off? i know people who do this. it seems like its for show to get attention, but they say it clears out the carbs before you shut down.

Old 04-22-2006, 01:27 AM
Originally Posted by GThirtyFive4Me
I always warm up my car before i take it out. but for those with an automatic if your parking on a hill or any slope it's best to put the car in N and then set the e brake. then make sure the car won't roll bak then park it in P. that way u wont get that bang when u put it into gear
People with auto should put the e brake on BEFORE they put it in park on hills. That way, teh car doesnt "fall" into PARK, then when you wanna go, just hold down the brakes, release the e brake and out it into gear or put in gear then release e brake and be out...usually works

Old 04-22-2006, 05:07 AM
SDG
Originally Posted by malx
Cool Thread!
You kidding? You should have closed this thread, its pointless. The owners manual says 30 seconds, can anyone credibly argue that? Noooo, case closed.

Old 04-22-2006, 12:19 PM
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by alongcamepeter
what about revving your engine before shut off? i know people who do this. it seems like its for show to get attention, but they say it clears out the carbs before you shut down.
I know this one is a big no-no. It causes unspent fuel to be left in the cylinder that eventually seeps down into your oil. Don't do it!!!

Old 04-22-2006, 01:18 PM
Clear the carbs? Hehe. When was the last time any new car came with carbs.

Old 04-22-2006, 08:26 PM
haha, sorry, i dont know much about cars, i just said what i remembered, which is probably not right anyways

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Warm up your car before you get going?