Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 05:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil companies only .09 profit from each gallon sold

The US government makes .40 profit from each gallon sold

Old 04-18-2006, 05:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supply and demand

Don't mean to call these ideas idiotic, but they are. If you have the same demand for gas, how can the price go down. Exxon, chevron, or whoever, will sell their gas on the wholesale market to the company's that are selling gas, even if they are not. They will also sell their crude oil they don't use on the open market as well. So if the demand is still there, so is the price. I wish people would stop sending out these stupid e-mails and such. They will not work. Just suck it up, start commuting, or stop driving. I just suck it up and put more money into BP, which is the second largest oil/energy company in the world, and other oil/energy mutual funds. If you can't beat 'em, make a profit with 'em.

Old 04-18-2006, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by Steel Blue
Oil companies only .09 profit from each gallon sold

The US government makes .40 profit from each gallon sold
The margin for gas stations isnt that great either, something like 10 cents per gallon if i recall my friend mentioning one time (family member owned one).

The fed govt taxes just under 20 cents per gallon (18 something? 19 cents?). CA state taxes makes the other 18 or 19 cents of the tax

Old 04-18-2006, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by Dark Genesis
DITCH EXXON
+1........$400 million retirement package for their CEO while we all pay at the pumps.

Old 04-18-2006, 05:42 PM
**** oil companies

Old 04-18-2006, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by Beowulf
Things are unfortunately far more complicated than a silly scheme like this. If you look at where "big oil's" profit is coming from its not from refining or selling gas. Its coming from the extraction of oil. Oil has been bid up by a combination of speculative investors and general demand. So when you ask big oil to lower gasoline you're basically asking them to subsidise the cost of gasoline from their oil extraction profits. This doesn't make any sense on their end and if you force them to; you're only bound to create gasoline shortages. The only possibility is to place some sort of additional tax on oil extracted from US soil which would probably only have a small effect.

One way to get gas lower without causes shortages would be to lower gasoline taxes, but you don't see your local politicians offering to cut their share of rising gas prices.
I agree with your ideas in the first paragraph, but disagree with lowering the tax on gas. The price of gas would quickly rise to offset the tax cut. Unfortunately, there's only one solution and that's to lower demand, and this will happene naturally. The price of gas will continue to rise until the pain of the increased prices compel millions of drivers to change their driving habits. $3 a gallon has only minimal impact. My guess is that prices will have to climb to $5 a gallon or more before the demand for gas is materially reduced.

Old 04-18-2006, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by G35MC
Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all. (If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am, so trust me on this one.)
This guy is a mathematician, but he didn't consider that a lot of people would receive the same e-mail thereby negating their count in the 300 million.

But anyway, I thought he would come up with a solution like ride a bike or catch the bus or train, not boycott a gas station. Aren't Exxon and Mobil distributors also, so you would need to boycott whoever they are supplying to also.

Old 04-19-2006, 04:48 AM
SDG
Originally Posted by FAST1
I agree with your ideas in the first paragraph, but disagree with lowering the tax on gas. The price of gas would quickly rise to offset the tax cut. Unfortunately, there's only one solution and that's to lower demand, and this will happene naturally. The price of gas will continue to rise until the pain of the increased prices compel millions of drivers to change their driving habits. $3 a gallon has only minimal impact. My guess is that prices will have to climb to $5 a gallon or more before the demand for gas is materially reduced.
"The price of gas would quickly rise to offset the tax cut." Very well said, that almost sounds like something more than pure speculation. Lowering taxes provides immediate relief to corporations, small businesses and consumers. Decreasing demand for gas is currently impossible, the whole world is growing and the demand for energy always grows. Rising prices to "naturally" drive down the demand of gas = small business and self-employed go out of business, large corporations take a hit and pass it along to consumers and employees. Consumer goods and staple items become more expensive due to the cost of literally bringing them to market. High gas prices hurt everyone, a tax cut is definitely a step in the right direction. What else has been done?

Old 04-19-2006, 04:52 AM
But exxonmobil gives me rebates

Old 04-19-2006, 05:10 AM
Originally Posted by Gman2004
+1........$400 million retirement package for their CEO while we all pay at the pumps.

Old 04-19-2006, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by achen
But exxonmobil gives me rebates
I would hope they do, since they did make $36 billion in income last year compared to $25 billion the year before. Thats what happens when they immediately raise the price after the barrel of oil goes up, but take their time to bring the price down when the price of the barrel goes down = pure profit

Old 04-19-2006, 04:46 PM
Next Toyota Prius will get better fuel economy.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/04/...offer-113-mpg/

I am going to get this when it comes out. The burning question will be will I trade my G for it.

Old 04-19-2006, 05:05 PM
I didn't fall for that bull, I dealt directly with Minister of Resorce's of Nigeria. My money's comming any day now.

Old 04-19-2006, 05:07 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
its going to be what its going to be. no way around it

Old 04-19-2006, 05:43 PM
If you bitch about the price of gas obviously youdon't have a good job; get a better one and make mroe money so you can be like me an not care.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 Gas Price WAR