G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

lost my car keys: question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 12:32 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
You can buy OEM transponder keys on ebay for about $30-$40. I've been quoted $90-$95 by two different locksmiths to cut and code two new keys. They can cut the new keys from the mechanical key provided by your dealer. Coding takes about five minutes (including calling tech support for PIN translation). Don't let the dealership rip you off.

Old 04-23-2006, 03:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know exactly what you're talking about. But like I said earlier, I bought my car used and I did NOT get any extra keys... The dealership is making me a special key that will unlock my door, but will fry my alarm if I try to start it with the key they make me. My family bought an '06 QX56 about a week ago and it came with all the keys you're talking about. But the wallet key and the key I mentioned are two different keys.

Originally Posted by vjquan
That's a bunch of crock. When you buy a new car, you get 4 keys - 2 master, 1 valet, and 1 wallet key. The wallet key is there to unlock the doors and does not have the transponder security chip. When put in the ignition, the car will crank but not start. All the chip does is enable the fuel pump.

Old 04-23-2006, 04:01 AM
Yeah, I was looking at the ebay route but I need more than just the transponder. Also, the car needs to be at the dealership or with the keys as they are being coded. If some shop has some sort of mobile service that would come out to my house and be able to cut and code keys in my garage, that'd be awesome. But to be honest, I really don't want to go through all the hassle of finding such a shop. I just want this whole stupid thing to be over with.

Anyway, we took our QX56 in to the dealer to get some **** done to it and they scratched the hell out of the radio trim pieces. So they owe us some favors. I'll have those favors applied to the key situation with my G. Riverside Infiniti has an awesome team of workers who have taken care of me for about 2 years now, so I think I'm in good hands. (although expensive hands LOL)
Originally Posted by k67p67
You can buy OEM transponder keys on ebay for about $30-$40. I've been quoted $90-$95 by two different locksmiths to cut and code two new keys. They can cut the new keys from the mechanical key provided by your dealer. Coding takes about five minutes (including calling tech support for PIN translation). Don't let the dealership rip you off.

Old 04-23-2006, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by borahatch
Here's the deal. The car has to be at the dealership in order for the new keys to be made. But for 7 bucks they can make you a key that will at least unlock your door for you (so I can at least get it out of gear and put the e-brake down). And the car doesn't need to be around for that key. I was told that the key to unlock the door should only be used for that because if I put it in the ignition, the alarm system would be fried.

So I'll get that key, and then push my car to the street and have a flatbed tow truck wheel it to the dealer. The new keys are 168 bucks including cost of programming. Not too bad when you consider if my sister lost her keys she'd be looking at 400 plus for one key! Anyway, that's that. Thanks again for all those who helped out.

That's what I thought, anyways my dealer also said that if I accidentally use a different key to start the car, the car will totally shutdown and I'll need to reprogram they keys that's bad coz what if you have multiple keys and accidentally inserted the wrong one

Old 04-23-2006, 10:18 AM
"I was told that the key to unlock the door should only be used for that because if I put it in the ignition, the alarm system would be fried."

I'm not sure about an 04, but I used my wallet key on my 03 to test the remote starter that was installed in my coupe along with the transponder chip from my valet key.
The car did not start, and the alarm system did not fry.

Old 04-23-2006, 01:01 PM
Your dealership is full of **** if they're telling you the alarm will fry if you try to start the car with the valet key. The valet key is just a mechanical key with no transponder. The engine will crank when the key is turned in the ignition but will not start. I'd defintely call them out if they made such a ridiculous statement to me.

Old 04-23-2006, 01:34 PM
You guys don't seem to understand. It's not the valet key. We all know the valet key wont fry the alarm. They are making a DIFFERENT key other than the valet key (car doesn't need to be there for this one) for me to get into my car. This key will be made for me for 7 dollars, why would they lie to me and tell me its gonna fry my alarm? They're not gaining anything by telling me this.

Old 04-23-2006, 01:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by k67p67
Your dealership is full of **** if they're telling you the alarm will fry if you try to start the car with the valet key. The valet key is just a mechanical key with no transponder. The engine will crank when the key is turned in the ignition but will not start. I'd defintely call them out if they made such a ridiculous statement to me.

The valet key will start the car (hence the name) the wallet key will not start it.

Old 04-23-2006, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by jersey-G
The valet key will start the car (hence the name) the wallet key will not start it.
Sorry, that's what I was referring to. I meant the mechanical key that fits in the wallet card. I don't recall getting a valet key for my G. For that matter, any mechanical key will crank but not start the engine.

Last edited by k67p67; 04-23-2006 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:04 AM
LOL I found my keys. They were in my sister's car between the passenger seat and the armrest. I guess I never looked too hard in there. I'm still getting a key made though just in case I lose this one for real. Thanks again for all the help!

Old 06-12-2006, 01:01 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Great that you found the keys. I too bought my car from an used car dealer and only got 1 set. I talked to the dealer and they said they could program non-Infiniti keys (transponder type) for $60. I just went ahead and got an Ebay blank key and another remote. The remote looks easy enough to program. It was they key I was wondering about. Anyway, they are on their way and I'm going to try to look up a local locksmith and see if they have the correct equipment to cut/program a key cheaper than the dealer.

Old 06-12-2006, 04:27 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Old 06-12-2006, 05:21 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
When I bought my car, I was given a metal tag with a number printed on it. I was told I couldn't get duplicated made unless I gave them this number (presumably it was the transponder code)

Old 06-12-2006, 05:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
here in texas we have key cutters that can do transponders and reprogram the car for the key...and they come to you to do the work

Old 06-12-2006, 10:00 PM
SDG
Got mine here, fast and cheap

www.carandtruckremotes.com

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: lost my car keys: question