G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

lost my car keys: question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 05:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lost my car keys: question

OK, so pretty much as the title says, I lost the key to my Coupe. I've searched high and low and I can't for the life of me remember exactly the last time I had it. My car is sitting in my garage with locked doors right now. I have no spare keys. Assuming I can't find the keys when the sun comes up a little later, what are my options? Any help or suggestions on the matter is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-21-2006, 06:13 AM
Premier Member
thats crazy the same thing happend to me today. i couldnt find them for five hours. then all of a sudden they were just behind the TV.
didnt your car come with a set of spare keys ? mine did but go figure Santa Monica infiniti gave me the wrong F*N key .. or a key that doesnt fit lol. Good luck finding them do you have another car you can drive until then ?

Old 04-21-2006, 07:26 AM
I hope you find them, replacements are expensive. its those darn transponder chips so our cars can't get stolen. As for your options, I think you will need to go to your local infiniti and give them your VIN. They can then have a new key made for you. I am sure you will have to show some sort of proof of ownership, hopefully thats not in the car too.

Old 04-21-2006, 09:14 AM
$100/ per key with chips

Old 04-21-2006, 12:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I got 3 sets of keys to my ryde...1 main, 1 spare and 1 valet. If you bought your car new, go and complain to the dealer in hopes they'll replace it for you. Also bitch about not getting a valet key.

Old 04-21-2006, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by Clemmdog
I hope you find them, replacements are expensive. its those darn transponder chips so our cars can't get stolen. As for your options, I think you will need to go to your local infiniti and give them your VIN. They can then have a new key made for you. I am sure you will have to show some sort of proof of ownership, hopefully thats not in the car too.
I think you'll need to tow your car to infiniti before they can make a set of keys, I think they need both to program for a new key. hope i'm wrong.

Old 04-21-2006, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I bought the car used in '04 so I only got one key. And yeah, all my paper work is in the car. But I go to Riverside Infiniti so much, they know me there and I shouldn't have too hard of a time getting a key made without them seeing proof of ownership. Looks like I'm going to make a trip to my dealer. I really hope I get lucky and my keys just pop up somewhere LOL. Thanks again.

Old 04-21-2006, 01:13 PM
Can you ask the seller if he has the spare keys? Doesn't hurt to ask and it might save you a coupe hundred dollars

Old 04-21-2006, 01:16 PM
if you have a lil baby at home. go ask or flip the kids room upside down~!

Old 04-21-2006, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by LjN_728
Can you ask the seller if he has the spare keys? Doesn't hurt to ask and it might save you a coupe hundred dollars
I bought it from a used car dealer. They never gave me any other keys and I just assumed they didn't get both keys when they got the car. I guess I should have checked into that back then.

Another question: If it does end up needing to be towed, how would that work? How would they get it out of my garage? It's parked all the way on the right side and it's in first gear with the e-brake up.

Old 04-21-2006, 01:23 PM
I'm sure insurance papers should be sufficient for the dealer. I mean it does have the make, vin # and owner of the car.

Old 04-21-2006, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by davidchoi425
if you have a lil baby at home. go ask or flip the kids room upside down~!
LOL, yeah I did that a few times. The entire house though. It's so frustrating because I remember where they were 5 minutes before they got lost: I was parking the cars before I left for a friend's house. I parked my car in the garge and then parked two cars behind it in the driveway. I then took something out of one of the other cars and put it in my car. After that I closed the garage with the key in my pocket or hand. Then fast forward about a half an hour, and I'm out in front of my friend's house in my sister's car searching for my keys.

Old 04-21-2006, 02:51 PM
OK so I made a call to my dealer and asked for some help. They told me the car has to be there. He then asked who I was and I told him (I'm in there computer system). He realized I live about 15 miles from them and then he said he'd check around for some possible solutions because the car cannot be moved. I'm awaiting his return call... I'll keep you guys informed on what I find.

Old 04-22-2006, 11:16 AM
Here's the deal. The car has to be at the dealership in order for the new keys to be made. But for 7 bucks they can make you a key that will at least unlock your door for you (so I can at least get it out of gear and put the e-brake down). And the car doesn't need to be around for that key. I was told that the key to unlock the door should only be used for that because if I put it in the ignition, the alarm system would be fried.

So I'll get that key, and then push my car to the street and have a flatbed tow truck wheel it to the dealer. The new keys are 168 bucks including cost of programming. Not too bad when you consider if my sister lost her keys she'd be looking at 400 plus for one key! Anyway, that's that. Thanks again for all those who helped out.

Old 04-22-2006, 11:24 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by borahatch
I was told that the key to unlock the door should only be used for that because if I put it in the ignition, the alarm system would be fried.
That's a bunch of crock. When you buy a new car, you get 4 keys - 2 master, 1 valet, and 1 wallet key. The wallet key is there to unlock the doors and does not have the transponder security chip. When put in the ignition, the car will crank but not start. All the chip does is enable the fuel pump.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: lost my car keys: question