G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Finally Broke In Car - But Questions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 02:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't believe in granny break-in method, but it must feel great to be done with that. Now you can rev as high as the engine will allow... meaning up to the rev limiter

Old 04-25-2006, 11:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gmoney1227
Thanks again to all your replies.
Now, how soon should I do my first oil change and thereafter and what kind?
I should switch to synthetic, right?
I would just let Infiniti change your oil, get it changed every 3,000-3,750 miles. Do you need synthetic?... most likely not, but if it makes you happy, go for it.

Old 04-25-2006, 11:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Triji and G-thirty-five. All of which you say I will do. Now, regarding the rattle. It's similar to ones I've heard when say for instance, I've been on an incline going uphill, and sine the RPM's are too low when I've shifted to second, it's rattled.

I noticed it's does it when I'm on first and going really slow in first, and then I step on the accelerator to pick up speed before I shift to second. It is during that moment that I accelerate that I hear the slight rattle. But again, it's not always.

I just hate the sound with the car being so early in it's "career".

Any more thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks!
What you might be hearing is 'ping' (engine pre-ignition), make sure you use 94 octane gas asnd keep the rpm's in the power curve. Try that and let me know if it goes away.

Old 04-25-2006, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by Lance
What you might be hearing is 'ping' (engine pre-ignition), make sure you use 94 octane gas asnd keep the rpm's in the power curve. Try that and let me know if it goes away.
All I have here in SoCal is 91 Octane... so I have to do with that.
Now when you say to stay within the power curve, what do you mean?

Old 04-25-2006, 03:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's always a good idea to get your oil changed after break-in so you can get rid of all the metal shavings and what not in the oil. I would go ahead and change the oil if I were you. Also, describe the rattle sound in more detail so we can get a better idea of what it is.

Old 04-26-2006, 01:46 AM
Originally Posted by Rookie84
It's always a good idea to get your oil changed after break-in so you can get rid of all the metal shavings and what not in the oil. I would go ahead and change the oil if I were you. Also, describe the rattle sound in more detail so we can get a better idea of what it is.
I don't know what exactly or how exactly I can describe it. But I'll try.

If I'm on first gear, just driving very slowly. In fact, so slow that I don't even have to be accelerating, but since the car is engaged in first, it's moving along. At that point, if I step on the accelerator to speed up to second... that's when I get the slight rattle sound. At the moment where I accelarate after just "cruising" at a low speed on first, I hear the rattle.

Hope this gives you a better idea of what I'm talking about. Thanks!

Old 04-26-2006, 02:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know what exactly or how exactly I can describe it. But I'll try.

If I'm on first gear, just driving very slowly. In fact, so slow that I don't even have to be accelerating, but since the car is engaged in first, it's moving along. At that point, if I step on the accelerator to speed up to second... that's when I get the slight rattle sound. At the moment where I accelarate after just "cruising" at a low speed on first, I hear the rattle.

Hope this gives you a better idea of what I'm talking about. Thanks!

If you haven't already done so, have your car checked for the following TSB. Many of us have had this TSB performed to eliminate the rear axle rattle. This maybe what your issue is.

http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownershi.../ITB05-002.htm

Edit: Your rattling noise description is exactly what I was experiencing prior to the fix.

Old 04-26-2006, 04:01 AM
SDG
I had the rattle thing and they fixed two things on my car. They performed the axle TSB service and also one of the exhaust tips were loose. Check your exhaust just in case thats what it is to save yourself a trip to the dealer.

How hard is it to baby that car for 1200 miles? LOL, not sure I could do it, so tempting just to give it a little more gas...

Old 04-28-2006, 02:11 AM
Originally Posted by andy2434
If you haven't already done so, have your car checked for the following TSB. Many of us have had this TSB performed to eliminate the rear axle rattle. This maybe what your issue is.

http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownershi.../ITB05-002.htm

Edit: Your rattling noise description is exactly what I was experiencing prior to the fix.
Does this TSB apply to '06 Coupes?

Old 04-28-2006, 10:03 AM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Good to hear your having fun with the car. I believe in breaking the car in properly, just like many others, but does your purchasing dealer convey that information to their lot attendants when buying your new G? I work for a Lexus dealer on the east coast as a service advisor and our lot attendents are IDIOTS. They flog every car they get thier hands on when taking it up to the gas station as part of the delivery process. We go thru alot of lot
attendants because they dont listen. I mean come on, these are 40-85k cars with 2 miles on them!!!

Old 04-29-2006, 01:21 AM
Hey guys, thanks for all the info. I heard someone in a earlier post say I should change the oil soon. I have now 1600 miles on the car.

I've also read I should wait on synthetic until later. Therefore, what oil should I use? What about tranny oil? And what is diff oil and when should I change it and what kind do I use?

Old 04-30-2006, 12:44 PM
Hey guys, thanks for all the info. I heard someone in a earlier post say I should change the oil soon. I have now 1600 miles on the car.

I've also read I should wait on synthetic until later. Therefore, what oil should I use? What about tranny oil? And what is diff oil and when should I change it and what kind do I use?
you can switch to synthetic but it is not recommended from nissan/infiniti to use it but its totally up to you...you shoul dhave already changed it at 1000 thats the usual first oil change and then from there on out its every 3000 with regular oil and dependent upon the synthetic oil you use thr mileage varies....you dont have to change your diff and tranny oil until atleast 60K so you have a while the same with the diff oil...they are both usually heavy weighted oil like 75w 80 or 80w 90 thats heavy duty gear oil...you can go to a nissan or infiniti dealer and purchase the OEM fluids or fust get the types and weights and go to your regular auto parts store... also the diff fluid you may need a friction modifier to add to the fluid....if you want ask your dealer for a recomended maintenance schedule... usualy the minor and major services are done ever 15K...ex. 15K 30K 45K 60K 75K and the all important 90K....

Old 05-01-2006, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by DJM AutoWorks
you can switch to synthetic but it is not recommended from nissan/infiniti to use it but its totally up to you...
I thought I've read somewhere here that although they don't recommend it, it's best for our engines. Is that accurate? If so, will Mobil1 5W-30 suffice? What filter do I use?

And I really have to have changed my oil at 1,000 miles? I'm at 1600 now and I haven't done it yet. Is that bad? Thanks!

Old 05-01-2006, 04:22 PM
the rattle... does it only happen wen u first drive off... or everytime u go from 1st to 2nd?

Old 05-01-2006, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by TonyZ_G
the rattle... does it only happen wen u first drive off... or everytime u go from 1st to 2nd?
To be very honest with you, I really think that's it's the way I've been driving it. It has done it at times when I'm at crusing speed in first, when my foot is not even in the accelerator. And then when I do accelerate to take it up to second, it'll rattle.

But in answer to your ?, No, it doesn't do it everytime I go from 1st to 2nd. When it has done it, it's only from a stand still and in first. So I say it's probably how I've been driving it becuase I might not be giving it enough gas. I've only driven it 1600 miles so far so I'm still getting use to it.