G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Finally Broke In Car - But Questions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 01:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally Broke In Car - But Questions.

Hey guys,

I just reached the 1200 miles mark on my G35 Coupe today and it felt great So I was in the mood to give it a little test run.

First of all, since I had the RPM's set to 4,000 during the break in period, I moved them up to 5,800. Question #1, Is that okay for now?

Also, when I tried to take off quickly from 1st gear, I heard a slight rattle noise. Question #2, What could that be? Then, when I tried to burnout from 1st, although I didn't hear the rattle noise, I couldn't peel out. Question #3, Could it be because either I didn't release the clutch enough or because I didn't turn off VDC?

On my next attempt, I was able to burnout a bit, but the Slip light came on and the RPM's automatically dropped... Question #5, Was that normal?

Also guys, I'm pretty new to all this so I'm not sure what would be right. But am I correct in understanding that when you want to take off strongly, it's best to get the RPM's high with the foot on the clutch, and then on first, just let go off the clutch and since the RPM's are high, you take off?

And finally, Question #6, I turned off VDC, and then I was able to burnout, but the back of the car slipped sideways a bit... is that normal?

Sorry guys if all these questions seem too basic and like stuff I should know. But I really want to start enjoying my car and would appreciate if you can reply. Thanks to all who read, even though you won't reply.

PS. Can any of this damage my car?

Old 04-23-2006, 02:09 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah, all that you said is totally normal... Congrats on hitting 1200 miles

1) 5800 rpms is titally fine, you can even go above that if ya want now.

2) the rattle... No idea what could be. I know the "G" has some normal squeeks and rattles ie: Sunroof, axle click... It is not the most quiet car on the road. Did it sound mechanical?

3) You did not peel out because VDC was on... That is normal.

4) hey, you skipped 4

5) Yes, totally normal once again. The "G" is tail happy so the VDC is very helpful to keep you straight in spirited driving. When your slip light comes on your car will "Bogg Down" RPM's will drop and if you are cornering or sliding your breaks can even engage to keep your path straight.

6) Yes, like stated in #5 above the "G" is a bit tail happy. One way to get used to her is to take her to an EMPTY parking lot and practice controlling her with VDC off so you know what to expect. Raise your RPM's and release the clutch and she should break traction fairly easily... Turn the steering wheel hard to the left and the back end will swing around (It's fun actually) and you just did a brodie...

Is this your 1st manual transmition car? If it is just make sure you take it easy and learn how to handle her before you start spirited driving on the roads. You sound cautious which is good... Be carefull out there and if you have questions this board is a great source of information...

Use the search function alot as well, you can find tons of great things to read in many discussions.

Good Luck and ENJOY your car... Remember, she was built to drive so don't baby her too much

Old 04-23-2006, 06:21 AM
Haha. Now the fun can begin. Congrats! I just turned that shift light off by setting it to max rpm. Now you can go crazy with whatever rpm you want. That's what the warranty is for!! I agree though, go to a parking lot, turn off vdc and have fun. That way you will be able to handle the car better when that happens by mistake. And it sounds like everything is normal with the car. The VDC shuts things down when you spin the wheels. It can actually be sorta dangerous if you spin while pulling out in traffic, but at the same time it can keep you out of trouble.

As for the "rattle" when you take off, not sure what that is that you are describing, but sometimes the clutch can shake a little. Also if you launch fast and spin the wheels you can get the axle hopping up and down, which is not good. But there are some rattles in the car that are always there. As for how to start out fast, if you rev the engine to a high rpm and let the clutch go right away (ie dumping the clutch) you will spin the wheels. I have had good luck launching at 2500-3000 rpm, and drop the clutch pretty fast, but not totally dumping. Then I get a little wheel spin but take off pretty fast. Hard launches are hard on the clutch, by the way, and I wouldn't drive it like that from every stop. You just need practice to start off smooth and quick. A little gas, let the clutch out smooth without slipping it too much. Just drive it more and you'll figure it out on your own. And you gotta have vdc off for the fastest launch. And yes, it's normal for the car to feel like it is slipping a little to one side when you take off like that. I guess it's because the traction on one wheel is slightly different than the other side. I love that feeling. Anyway, have fun, and be safe.

Old 04-23-2006, 08:47 AM
Thanks Triji and G-thirty-five. All of which you say I will do. Now, regarding the rattle. It's similar to ones I've heard when say for instance, I've been on an incline going uphill, and sine the RPM's are too low when I've shifted to second, it's rattled.

I noticed it's does it when I'm on first and going really slow in first, and then I step on the accelerator to pick up speed before I shift to second. It is during that moment that I accelerate that I hear the slight rattle. But again, it's not always.

I just hate the sound with the car being so early in it's "career".

Any more thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 04-23-2006, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by gmoney1227
Hey guys,

I just reached the 1200 miles mark on my G35 Coupe today and it felt great So I was in the mood to give it a little test run.

First of all, since I had the RPM's set to 4,000 during the break in period, I moved them up to 5,800. Question #1, Is that okay for now?

Also, when I tried to take off quickly from 1st gear, I heard a slight rattle noise. Question #2, What could that be? Then, when I tried to burnout from 1st, although I didn't hear the rattle noise, I couldn't peel out. Question #3, Could it be because either I didn't release the clutch enough or because I didn't turn off VDC?

On my next attempt, I was able to burnout a bit, but the Slip light came on and the RPM's automatically dropped... Question #5, Was that normal?

Also guys, I'm pretty new to all this so I'm not sure what would be right. But am I correct in understanding that when you want to take off strongly, it's best to get the RPM's high with the foot on the clutch, and then on first, just let go off the clutch and since the RPM's are high, you take off?

And finally, Question #6, I turned off VDC, and then I was able to burnout, but the back of the car slipped sideways a bit... is that normal?

Sorry guys if all these questions seem too basic and like stuff I should know. But I really want to start enjoying my car and would appreciate if you can reply. Thanks to all who read, even though you won't reply.

PS. Can any of this damage my car?
everything sounds normal man. rpms dropping is the vdc. slipping sideways a little is also normal (one tire prob starting slipping before the other side). and no - none of this can damage your car. i'm glad to hear you're trying to experiment and learn it vs. some other ppl i know that are scared to take it past 6k rpm or drive it hard thinking it will break the car.

Enjoy the MT, be careful too. i've had some very close calls in the past trying to do stuff and losing it.

Old 04-23-2006, 01:21 PM
I got 500 miles on my 06 and I drive it like I stole it. I dont believe in breaking in cars. The way you break them in is the way they are going to run. I already had mine to 7k a few times.

Old 04-23-2006, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by VG35
I got 500 miles on my 06 and I drive it like I stole it. I dont believe in breaking in cars. The way you break them in is the way they are going to run. I already had mine to 7k a few times.
Be sure to check your oil regularly, if you are going to push your G hard during the break-in period. Enjoy!

Old 04-23-2006, 03:10 PM
i drive like I stole it....after 2000kms......

Old 04-23-2006, 03:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by VG35

This is the reason why I'm staying away from buying used cars, especially a sports coupe

Old 04-23-2006, 03:17 PM
congrats on the mileage...everything is normal what the other people posted is true..just drive wth VDC off when its dry out lol its nice to churp the tires...and also you can bring those RPM's up there enjoy it....they love to rev out these motors.....

Old 04-23-2006, 04:22 PM
Swerving and Weaving
i didnt eve read the replies but im sure they answered your questions.

you should not be driving this car if do not understand the features and what they prevent u from doing.

Old 04-24-2006, 06:12 PM
Thanks again to all your replies.

Now, how soon should I do my first oil change and thereafter and what kind?
I should switch to synthetic, right?

Old 04-24-2006, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by gmoney1227
Thanks again to all your replies.

Now, how soon should I do my first oil change and thereafter and what kind?
I should switch to synthetic, right?
Some say not until 10,000. Other say immediately. Just go half way and you'll be fine.

vr, Rich

Old 04-24-2006, 08:11 PM
rev high!
listen to the exhaust notes! 8)

Old 04-25-2006, 01:21 AM
i have that same grinding noise in first wen im driving slow and start accelerating it starts grinding on sumin not gears tho i dun think. i only have like 500 miles on mine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finally Broke In Car - But Questions.