G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe
View Poll Results: Is it worth getting the extended factory warranty (additional36K miles) at 50K miles?
Get the extended warranty
42.86%
Forget the warranty
57.14%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Is it worth getting the extended warranty @ ~50K

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 03:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Is it worth getting the extended warranty @ ~50K

I almost have 50K on my G35C and was considering getting the extended warranty for my car. Do you guys think that it would be worth the extra money for the 3year/36K of warranty. Has anyone had any major breakdowns between 50K and 86K that was a problem that would've been covered by the factory warranty if they had it? Can I just keep up the maintenance on the car and forget about the extended warranty since cars nowadays are built to last longer? Are there any TSBs factory covered fixes that i should know about before my warranty expires? Should I purchase the factory warranty or an aftermarket warranty? Should I forget about getting the warranty and just get a new set of rims instead? I just wanna get some advice before I drop a load of money I might not need to be spending. I realize that getting the warranty gives me peace of mind that I will be covered for an additional 36K miles for any major breakdowns but what are the chances that this could happen? Any advice would help.

Heres a little background about my car and my scenario. Its a 2004 manual w/nav. I mainly use the car for daily commuting to work on the highway(75 miles roundtrip). I've kept up with all oil changes, changed brakes and tires once, and change my air filter.

Thanks guys!

Old 04-28-2006, 03:30 AM
I thought the warranty for our cars was up to 60k miles? Would the extended warranty add 36k at the end of the original warranty?

Old 04-28-2006, 03:58 AM
how much is it? I havent changed my tranny yet.. dunno about you.. but it seems like its guaranteed to fail at one point in time

Old 04-28-2006, 04:03 AM
you can buy more warranty?

Old 04-28-2006, 04:08 AM
^^^ go back to bed!

Old 04-28-2006, 04:12 AM
i can't sleep no more!

i want warranty !!!!!! so i can get tranny,window,breaks.... all fixed!

Old 04-28-2006, 04:38 AM
Originally Posted by timbo
I thought the warranty for our cars was up to 60k miles? Would the extended warranty add 36k at the end of the original warranty?
It is good till 60K; however, if i purchase the warranty before I hit 50K its cheaper than having > 50K. And when you purchase the warranty it adds 36K from the time of purchase

Last edited by MisterG35Tee; 04-28-2006 at 04:43 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 04-28-2006, 04:40 AM
Originally Posted by driftGT350
i can't sleep no more!

i want warranty !!!!!! so i can get tranny,window,breaks.... all fixed!
Yes, you can buy more warranty as long as your original warranty hasn't expired. Have you had to replace your tranny or other stuff already?

Old 04-28-2006, 10:30 AM
I don't know a whole lot about extended warranties, but I have to believe that they wouldn't cover things like the clutch or automatic transmission. Those are consumables and are way too expensive for an insurance company to actually consider paying for them.

My dad is a service writer at a shop and I asked him this question a few months ago. He said that most companies make you sign a contract that requires that you follow a very specific maintenance program in order to not void your warranty. Apparently many of the items on the maintenance program are a little extreme - he mentioned that one plan he read required that you begin using a fuel additive, use only full synthetic oil (regardless of the manufacturer's recommendations), that you change the oil every 3000 miles even if it is synthetic, and that you flush the radiator every 15000K miles whether it needs it or not.

He pointed out that there are a couple problems that may surface. (1) You may end up spending more money in general maintenance to keep your warranty than you might spend otherwise. (2) It's very easy to forget to do something on the maintenance checklist, and many companies will use that as an excuse not to reimburse you for an expense. (3) You may have to provide a ton of documentation every time you seek reimbursement to establish that you've been following their policy.

If the extended warranty is through Infiniti, a lot of these observations may not apply. I would make sure that I took the time to read the fine print for exactly what you're signing up for. Also look for whether Infiniti is actually providing the program, or if they're farming it out through a third party.

Old 04-28-2006, 11:18 AM
The way i look at it if you have a warranty then you cant mod. or mod as much I should say.

Old 04-28-2006, 11:19 AM
CtK
depends how much more it is for the extended warrenty and also some of these extended warrenty make you pay a deductible to fix something covered under the extended warrenty

Old 04-28-2006, 01:35 PM
SDG
How much risk can you afford? If something major goes out in the G it will not be cheap. Also look at how hard you drive. Cars last 100 years when Granny is driving but barely make it through the warranty if Johnny Speedracer is driving.

Im not getting the extended and will trade in for another one that has warranty left when mine runs out. You should consider the 50k mark as the last chance to get a decent deal on your trade in or to sell. Go past 60k and its very difficult to sell for a good price or get much on trade in. So if the extended warranty is very expensive it might be worth it to upgrade.

How much is it btw?

Old 04-29-2006, 03:01 AM
Mmhm...
Originally Posted by MisterG35Tee
I almost have 50K on my G35C and was considering getting the extended warranty for my car. Do you guys think that it would be worth the extra money for the 3year/36K of warranty. Has anyone had any major breakdowns between 50K and 86K that was a problem that would've been covered by the factory warranty if they had it? Can I just keep up the maintenance on the car and forget about the extended warranty since cars nowadays are built to last longer? Are there any TSBs factory covered fixes that i should know about before my warranty expires? Should I purchase the factory warranty or an aftermarket warranty? Should I forget about getting the warranty and just get a new set of rims instead? I just wanna get some advice before I drop a load of money I might not need to be spending. I realize that getting the warranty gives me peace of mind that I will be covered for an additional 36K miles for any major breakdowns but what are the chances that this could happen? Any advice would help.

Heres a little background about my car and my scenario. Its a 2004 manual w/nav. I mainly use the car for daily commuting to work on the highway(75 miles roundtrip). I've kept up with all oil changes, changed brakes and tires once, and change my air filter.

Thanks guys!

how much is this going to cost you ?

Old 04-29-2006, 03:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Optional
I can't tell you how many times an extended warranty has come through for me on my previous cars. It was inexpensive enough that the cost wasnt an issue versus the benefits if something drastic arose. My last two extended warranties were through Dealers Assurance in Columbus, OH. http://www.dealersassurance.com

Old 04-29-2006, 04:40 PM
I have 80K on my car. My car gets serviced every 3500 miles. Since the warranty expired, The switch for the drivers side heated seats broke and something is wrong with the passenger side seat, the switch to move forward/backward and tilt doesnt work. i bought a new switch for the heated seat and replaced it myself. but the dealer wants like $600 to repair the seat. those are the only problems so far.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is it worth getting the extended warranty @ ~50K