G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

heel-toe shifting in 6MT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 01:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heel-toe shifting in 6MT?

Anyone able to do heel-toe shifting and double clutching in the 6MT? The gas pedal is kinda small to blip with the edge of your foot, and the brake is so sensitive it's hard to do both at the same time.

Never done heel-toe shifting before but I'd like to try...

2003 G35 Coupe 6MT Black/black
Mountain View, CA

Old 09-13-2003, 07:53 AM
Re: heel-toe shifting in 6MT?

haha, i can somewhat relate to your heel-toe post. This is my first MT car and am trying to learn about manual transmissions as fast as possible. I started doing heel-toe shifting on small turns and gradually worked my way up to nice curving on-ramps. Also, practice while the car is parked and engine off. Try using muscle memory to feel where your heel and toe goes when you would normally be driving and twist your foot so that it can hit the accelerator pedal nicely without having to slam the brakes. This is how I kind of taught myself. Hope it helps

'03 G35c DG/G 6mt, full options

Old 09-13-2003, 01:14 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've experimented with heel-toe shifting. It just takes a while to get used to it. But unless you are really really really racing, it's just a safety risk on regular streets. Double-clutching is a thing of the past, btw.

---------------------------------
http://www.anythingbox.net

Old 09-13-2003, 07:32 PM

Heal to Toe? Look at AutoVation pedals. autovation.net. Their set enlarges the gas pedal, so it's easy.

Lou

Old 09-13-2003, 08:08 PM

Cool, thanks for the tips guys. Those autovation pedals look pretty interesting...you have then on your G, lowrider?

2003 G35 Coupe 6MT Black/black
Mountain View, CA

Old 09-13-2003, 08:16 PM

It's not that hard; depends on the size of your foot I guess. =)

In that Japanese 350Z / M3 / S2000 / Boxter / GTR video, you can watch how the guy in the 350Z (I think) does it since they have a pedal cam.

03.5 Coupe - Black/Willow, 6MT, Premium, Navi, Aero, Sat

Old 09-13-2003, 08:49 PM

Yep, I sure do. Different than the run of the mill Nissan pedals. Infiniti emblem on them. Everyone who sees them likes the look. The bigger gas pedal is nice.

Lou

Old 09-13-2003, 11:18 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey lowrider, that's for the link and the heads up on those pedals. I've got zero interest in different pedals, but I'll order those for heal and toe performance reason's. Thanks a bunch man

Ivry 6mt sed
Crawford Pleneum
Injen CAI
22" resonator
Cusco sway bars
350Z springs&struts
Enkei RPM2

Old 09-14-2003, 12:45 AM
G35driver.com Moderator

I'd like to disagree, Double clutching is not a thing of the past [img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] (especially when shifting down)
I do it all the time, i dont see why not, the shift is actually faster and smoother when you double clutch as opposed to single clutching (when shifting down of course) Plus with the documented 6MT syncro grinding issues, better to be safe than sorry.
As far as heel-toe, i agree, it is tough to do, but it does require lots of practice. You can always get those Razo or Razor pedals, they are pretty wide and perfect for heel-toeing (beware they are UGLY though)

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c 6MT DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust

Old 09-14-2003, 02:38 AM

Heel toe shifting is nearly impossible in the G35. I think it's the combination of leg angle (IMO the front of the seat should be able to go lower than it's lowest setting) and brake/gas pedal height/placement. I've had no problems doing this on my previous car, but cannot do it on my G.

I guess practice is the key, but I really don't think I can get the correct foot angle down in this car. Maybe my feet are too big for the pedals.

<font color=blue>-Rick
'03 G35C 6MT Ivory Pearl</font color=blue>

Old 09-15-2003, 09:59 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Practice, practice, practice.......that is the key. Heel and toe is a work of art once you get use to it. Everycar is different when you do a heel and toe some you can do it really easy, some you have to change the pedals in order to do it. It will also help if the shoe your wearing is not to thick on the sole. You have to feel the pedals when you're doing this kind of aggresive driving. And who said that double clucthing is a thing of the pass? That is not true double clutching is great for any MT car. It gives you the power right there when you need it when exiting a turn agressively. Try double clutching on a looping off ramp connector on the freeway this is always fun and good practice.

<font color=blue> </font color=blue>

Old 09-15-2003, 11:55 AM

is it really worth it to do heel to toe. I mean all the race car drivers do it so i am guessing there is a slight benifit but ur only talking about 1/1000 of a second not a big deal for driving around town or auto crossing for that matter. I tryed it but it hurt my ancle. The break pedal is raised to high above the gas so it seemed very hard to press the gas with out giting the break.

Old 09-15-2003, 02:45 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That is the nature of heel and toe stepping on the break while down shifting through the gears. Like I said some cars you need to change the pedals in order to do it. You're right about everyday driving you don't really need to do it while your commuting to work in traffic. This is done while you are racing in the track. It takes time, patience and practice. If you race you know that 1/1000th or 1 second is very critical in gaining of loosing a position. I lost a race in my class once because I missed a shift going to a turn. The guy beat me by half a car lenght crossing the finish line and that didnt take more than a fraction of a second.

<font color=blue> </font color=blue>

Old 09-15-2003, 03:21 PM

Double-clutching is not necessary in this car. Heel & toe is definitely possible and works fine if you know how to do it. Like most other techniques, it takes some practice and getting used to the timing required, however, it is rarely needed during everyday driving.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: heel-toe shifting in 6MT?