G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Automatic Coupes...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 02:09 PM
gsg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the automatic in the coupe is the best I've ever driven, way better than the BMW's & Mercedes I've owned. It always seems to be in the right gear, it does not upshift too soon (as most automatics do) and it downshifts precisely when it should.
I use the manual mode when I want to hold a gear or for fun. I know in certain circumstances it lags too much for some, but again, compared to other automatics I've driven, even the manual mode is the best I've experienced. And my car is an '03 - I understand they have imporved it with rev matching, etc. on the newer models.

Old 05-03-2006, 02:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love MT, I gotta admit they're fun to drive. I endup getting 5AT because (to me) G35 is a luxury car, the styling is so sexy, the exhaust note is just incredibly beautiful, very unique comparing to others in the same price range, power and performance is pretty good, it's not a slow car. Just because it's an AT doesn't mean I can't have fun. I love to drive MT but I hate the fact that I'm always stranded if traffics and long drive to work, this is my only car and a daily driver. The thing I hate about AT is that I can't launch, but that's pretty much it, there's no regret.

Old 05-03-2006, 03:42 PM
I will never buy a sports car or coupe with automatic, it's like buying a 500whp muscle car and going with auto. I tried driving my friends auto RSX and the manual mode is just dumb. You want performance then learn how to drive performance car.

Off Topic:
One other thing, why buy an exhaust and make it so loud and yet put it on a Auto? It sounds gay when the auto tranny shift and everyone can hear it And on long trip, driving an auto put me to sleep.

Gusto ko Manual

Old 05-03-2006, 03:53 PM
had to get the AT, the wifey wont drive MT. i think the tiptronic is the best ive ever drien in. it does take some getting the feel of, but i shift on sound now and find it is pretty close to a MT in that respect. have a lot of fun on the freeway in 3rd and 4th.

Old 05-03-2006, 03:59 PM
Sometimes people buy an automatic for practical reasons. Yes it's a sporty car, but it's not really a "sports-car". When I got my car, I knew that i'd be sitting in LA traffic every day, and was quite happy to switch from a manual to an automatic.
AthenG - How can you compare a 500hp muscle car to a G35? It's not even close to being the same thing! Even if you had a 500hp G, it still wouldn't be a muscle car. Still wondering what your comment on learning how to drive a performance car means.

On another note, I agree that the manu-matic mode isn't that great. I hardly ever use mine as the shifting is too slow and doesn't feel anything like a manual transmission car. If i didn't have to sit in traffic every day, or had the G as a 2nd car, i'd definately be in a 6MT G Coupe!

Old 05-03-2006, 04:16 PM
If you wanna shift your own gears get a manual.
If you want the computer shifting gears when you tell it to get an automatic and play with the MM till the cows come home.

Either way... I'll stick with my MT... even sitting in an hour and a half of bumper to bumper traffic to and from work every day. If its something you enjoy, think of it this way...

5 days a week I'm tortured by going 35 mph down a 75 mph highway
2 days a week I get to drive the **** outta the car

If you can stand that punishment for the lil added fun, go with the manual.

Old 05-03-2006, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by 03SilverGeee
Sometimes people buy an automatic for practical reasons. Yes it's a sporty car, but it's not really a "sports-car". When I got my car, I knew that i'd be sitting in LA traffic every day, and was quite happy to switch from a manual to an automatic.
AthenG - How can you compare a 500hp muscle car to a G35? It's not even close to being the same thing! Even if you had a 500hp G, it still wouldn't be a muscle car. Still wondering what your comment on learning how to drive a performance car means.

On another note, I agree that the manu-matic mode isn't that great. I hardly ever use mine as the shifting is too slow and doesn't feel anything like a manual transmission car. If i didn't have to sit in traffic every day, or had the G as a 2nd car, i'd definately be in a 6MT G Coupe!

I live in NYC and we do have our fair share of traffic not to mention smaller roads and more pothole for added fun. I'm not comparing a G's power to a super car but just making an analogy that sports coupe or car are meant to be driven the way they should, and that is the feel of being in control. I like performance car because I like to be in control and not let a computer decide for me when to shift and what gear to shift.

I said that I will never get an auto for a sports car or a sports coupe, I will also never Mod an Auto since it defeat the purpose of being in control. But if that suites you then by all means and enjoy your ride. Sometimes I do wish I was driving an auto but that's only on a very rare occasion, that is why my wife had learned how to drive stick.

My brother also moved to LA and had a boosted civic here in NY. Since he outgrew Modding cars he just went to Lexus and looked at the IS350 , oh it didn't come with MT so he settled on an IS250 MT If you're into performance, there is no traffic in the world that will stop you from getting a MT. IMHO

Last edited by FI'ed G; 05-03-2006 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:27 PM
After 12 years of driving a '91 Maxima SE 5-spd, I felt the need for change. I'm in MM at least 75% of the time. Also, my 5AT was the only G at the dealership in Nov 2002 when I bought it. I've been driving MT's for years, but it's nice to have the best of both worlds. No missed shifts, no more slipping. I like what my G has.

2003-G35C-5AT Laser Red/Black/Prem/XM/Tint/Toyo Proxes TPT's/Chrome 17's/Black Badged

Old 05-03-2006, 04:39 PM
I swear some of you guys think our cars are fast and they aren't.. It's a luxury sports car. People who bought the 6MT are just going to get smoked by Z28‘s, SS‘s, Corvettes, EVO's, STI's, Cobra's, F-150 Lightning's,Chargers,SRT-4's,Supra's, RX-7's, Honda S2000's,SRT-10 trucks, Chrysler 300 Hemi the list can go on... So you got a 6MT for???? My next car in 2009 will be a CLS 500 Benz automatic for sure.......

Old 05-03-2006, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by 2FastG354U
I swear some of you guys think our cars are fast and they aren't.. It's a luxury sports car. People who bought the 6MT are just going to get smoked by Z28‘s, SS‘s, Corvettes, EVO's, STI's, Cobra's, F-150 Lightning's,Chargers,SRT-4's,Supra's, RX-7's, Honda S2000's,SRT-10 trucks, Chrysler 300 Hemi the list can go on... So you got a 6MT for???? My next car in 2009 will be a CLS 500 Benz automatic for sure.......
Most here know that the G is not a real sports car but a sports coupe, I used to have a boosted civic, my G will eventually be boosted too. Most people here are not satisfied with the power and that is why they are here to find other option to boost the power fact is if you're really into performance starting with a Manual Tranny will be a good start. I see a lot here and even in other forums regretting getting an auto since they will be limited in terms of attaining their goal. On your own definition it's still a sports car right? Just because it is a luxury car it shouldn't be fast. I bet I can still spank 90% of the cars on the road

Last edited by FI'ed G; 05-03-2006 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:04 PM
I use the manu-matic mode <1% of the time and only when I feel like f'ing around or need to get the revs up to pass someone quickly. Other than that it is pointless.

People with an elitist attitude that because they drive a stick they are somehow better, superior, made a better decision, better drivers, more informed and cooler and state that they will never buy an automatic are not only immature, they are also fooling themselves.

Old 05-03-2006, 05:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2FastG354U
I got a 6mt to smoke your slushbox buddy

Old 05-03-2006, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by Goods
I use the manu-matic mode <1% of the time and only when I feel like f'ing around or need to get the revs up to pass someone quickly. Other than that it is pointless.

People with an elitist attitude that because they drive a stick they are somehow better, superior, made a better decision, better drivers, more informed and cooler and state that they will never buy an automatic are not only immature, they are also fooling themselves.
So you're one of those people who buy an auto Corvette

Last edited by FI'ed G; 05-03-2006 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by AthenG
So you're one of those people who buy an auto Corvette
Any late model automatic corvette will smoke you in your manual G.

Old 05-03-2006, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by Goods
Any late model automatic corvette will smoke you in your manual G.

Not by you!

Edit:
Heck even my wife can drive stick. Nothing is hotter than a women behind a wheel driving a Stick Shift.

Last edited by FI'ed G; 05-03-2006 at 05:15 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Automatic Coupes...