Driving Schools?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 07:13 PM
Avoiding potholes
Received 150 Likes on 110 Posts
Question Driving Schools?

I need some opinions.

Has anyone here been to a driving school? What did you think of it? Was it worth it? I've got a birthday coming up and I think one might be on my list.

I'm comfortable w/donunts and burnouts and am learning how to drift but pointers are always welcome. Will I learn something new about the car and how it handles? There's nothing worse than confidence without the knowledge behind it. (akin to the guy in brand new expensive ski stuff doing snowplows or laying down a new motorcycle. Not going there.)

What about just going to the open track days? I really don't want to make a fool of myself. Or have someone say, "Awwww, it's a girl driving".

Gotta do my car proud.
grace

...the little red cars with the big white student driver signs don't count.

Last edited by Grace; 05-04-2006 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:10 AM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
about 5 years agp my company had bob boundarant driving school from phoenix come do a driving school for 2 days(there was other companys there as well) and ill tell you just do it.you wont beleive how much you really dont know about driving.one of the biggest things youll learn about is car control and what it feels like just before you lose traction.also proper braking,taking the apex the right way and really all kinds of stuff.i didnt have to pay for it but i would do it in a heartbeat.

Old 05-05-2006, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depending on your area, you may have multiple choices. Pick up an Autoweek magazine. They (and probably other car magz) have ads for driving schools in the back. Autoweek also does a driving school special edition every now and then.

I've been to a few and always seem to come out with something. I used to teach the Bondurant class when I worked at Malibu Grand Prix but have never taken one of their classes. They have a good rep, though.

One bit of advice is to learn to drive with your eyes, not your hands. Your hands will follow your eyes, but it takes a lot of practice to learn to trust that. Think about the times you're on the freeway and look over your shoulder to change lanes and you find yourself starting to turn. A little of that is your body moving, but most of it is your hands following your eyes.

Similarly, you'll notice in a panic situation, you will hit whatever you're looking at.

Best of luck.

Old 05-05-2006, 01:17 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I just went to my second open track day event at Sebring. I have gone once with National Auto Sport Association and once with Chin Motorsports. You could go onto a sight of your local racetrack and probably find links to car clubs that rent out that track. You could look into the SCCA sight as well. I highly doubt anyone would give you crap about being a girl at an open track event judging from my experience. There were a few women at my last event I just attended. Everyone was just there to enjoy the cars they love.

Here are some links of in car videos from Sebring if you would like to watch. The first is out the window...the second is in the car at me. The first video may take a minute to buffer and start.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/F7CFA2E1-A1EC-4A8A-96C5-881A18FF3446.htm
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/0FCAF090-78BD-464C-8169-8227ECBDE386.htm

Old 05-05-2006, 03:13 PM
Avoiding potholes
Thanks for the input!

I'm in Northern California and there's a few tracks close by.
After watching the clips, I reallyreally want to go.

Moving driving school to the top of the list.
grace

Old 05-05-2006, 03:40 PM
Open track days are by far the best "mod" for your car. You will definately look at your G in a whole new light after you see what it can do. It will also make you a better driver on the street. Make sure you pick a group that offers instructors for beginners. If you want a real kick, let your instructor drive your car while you ride passenger. Its amazing what these cars can do. Go sign up and have fun! If you would like some tips before heading out there, feel free to ask.

Old 05-05-2006, 04:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 05-05-2006, 04:52 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
My first day with NASA the instructor drove my car....and on the second time with Chinmotorsports.com my instructor had a g35 sedan. Riding with them let me know just how timid I was being with my car which allowed me the confidence to push it a little more. It also showed me how much I had to learn.

Old 05-05-2006, 05:32 PM
www.g35tt.com
http://www.skipbarber.com/default.aspx
I did the one day racing school, and it was a blast. I have already signed up this summer for the two day high preformance driving school. Great program.

Old 05-05-2006, 05:37 PM
yeah in norcal go to skip barber. my buddy did a 2 or 3 day course and learned a lot. It's expensive as hell, though

Old 05-05-2006, 09:27 PM
As a race car driver in grand am and being friends with many instructors let me give you some advice. These classes are only benificial if you go into them not being stuck up thinking you are the best. Show initiative to learn and you will get the most out of it. They tell me stories all the time about guys who show up talking about how hot their street cars are and what not but cant drive worth ****.

With that said, I recommend Bondurant and Skip Barber

Old 05-05-2006, 11:16 PM
Avoiding potholes
trackmagic: There's a fine line between confidence and arrogance.
Hopefully someone whaps me with a big 2x4 before I cross it.
The more you learn, the more you realize you don't know squat.

I looked up the schools and wow...big bucks babeee.
Looks like it's worth every penny.

Crossing my fingers for the bday.
grace

Old 05-05-2006, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by Grace
trackmagic: There's a fine line between confidence and arrogance.
Hopefully someone whaps me with a big 2x4 before I cross it.
The more you learn, the more you realize you don't know squat.

I looked up the schools and wow...big bucks babeee.
Looks like it's worth every penny.

Crossing my fingers for the bday.
grace
You are correct.
What I said was not aimed at you or anyone on this board in particular, but I have seen my fair share of corvette drivers and porsche drivers think they are hot **** and not listen to instructors. Next thing you know they are balled up in the wall.
In one incident, a guy took out his new carrera GT and totalled it first lap showing off.
A few weeks after, a guy I knew was getting a ride in another Carrera GT from some show off and hit the wall at 150. Both were killed.

I am saying this mainly because I dont want you to hurt your G, hehe.

Old 05-06-2006, 12:04 PM
Avoiding potholes
No offense taken. The reason why I want to go is not to hurt the G.
A professional instructor in my car teaching is what I'm after.

Thanks guys for all the info!
I followed the links and it looks like there's weekend courses at Laguna Seca. From what I've heard, it's a tough course? Oh well, I never do anything halfway

I've always had fwd cars and the G is new and tooooo much fun. If I don't get the class for the bday, I'm pretty sure I'll break down and do it anyway. I'm intending on throwing quite a but of money at the car. I think this is the first thing I do before I start putting on kits and changing the engine.

grace

Old 05-07-2006, 12:09 AM
anybody know of any down here in south florida?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Driving Schools?